Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:22 PM

480 posts, read 611,712 times

Advertisements

(4) No person may be convicted upon evidence obtained through the use of devices authorized by paragraphs (2) and (3) unless the speed recorded is six or more miles per hour in excess of the legal speed limit. Furthermore, no person may be convicted upon evidence obtained through the use of devices authorized by paragraph (3) in an area where the legal speed limit is less than 55 miles per hour if the speed recorded is less than ten miles per hour in excess of the legal speed limit. This paragraph shall not apply to evidence obtained through the use of devices authorized by paragraph (3) within a school zone.

That pretty much means that you can drive 9 over on the city streets and not even fear those VASCAR lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 04:01 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
So I guess drive as fast as you like an who cares is the rule in the city. At least I know and will just live with the super aggressive style around here these days.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:58 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,202 times
I was driving on Lebanon St. (Rd?) by West Mifflin today and was just kind of keeping up with the traffic. After a minute or so I was shocked to see the speed limit was 25, I was getting passed while going 40. After I saw the sign I slowed down to 30 and ticked a lot of people off I'm afraid!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Cops used to run VASCAR all the time near where I lived, on the stretch of Beechwood just north of Wilkins. As has been pointed out upthread, municipal and county police agencies' hands are severely tied in terms of the resources they're allowed to use to monitor traffic speeds.

There must have been a shift of driving habits in the last decade or so; back when I lived there people fastidiously did the speed limit (or 3 or over tops) even though their chances of getting caught for speeding were nil. All you had to do was slow down wherever you saw VASCAR lines painted across the road.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There must have been a shift of driving habits in the last decade or so; back when I lived there people fastidiously did the speed limit (or 3 or over tops) even though their chances of getting caught for speeding were nil. All you had to do was slow down wherever you saw VASCAR lines painted across the road.
Yeah, it is totally different now with the speeding around the city. Lots of people getting hit by cars and such and a lot of road rage. Nothing like 15-20 years ago. I hate driving and riding a bike is... well I enjoy it as much as you can with all the road rage people dashing everywhere. I just ride like everyone wants to kill me and to be honest, that is what it is like.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:03 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
Pghuser is correct one of the main reasons is your local police are not allowed to use radar guns. I see PA drivers get pulled over all the time in WV and OH because they aren't used to having to worry about it. Route 7 in OH which isn't far from Pittsburgh is a 50-55 mph zone. If you travel on it long enough going 70mph you will get a ticket because the police in all the towns that in runs through watch it with radar guns.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:05 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I just wrote to the mayor's office complaining about the speeds people drive in the city and I have never seen anyone pulled over for these wild speeds. Why are the speed limits not enforced? I just read about another pedestrian hit on the North Side. They want to ban cyclists from riding on busy streets. What no one seems to want to do is drive within the speed limit, which is the law. I get passed by cars going over twice the speed limit ever day. Riding through the zoo on One Wild Place, is a prime example of people driving like idiots. I am sure Monro and other places that replace brakes are happy with the moronic driving style we have adopted, but people are really getting killed out there due to the selfish drivers that are in such a rush, to really get no where. They are just rushing to the next red-light or stop sign. Here is a thought, slow down. I am sure I am talking to deaf ears, but I thought it was worth a shot.

I asked a police officer the same question one time and his answer was:

"It is like fishing, you cannot catch them all".

Old 08-29-2012, 05:17 AM

225 posts, read 299,829 times
I want to see all the selfish bicyclists ticketed for every offense they commit first. I was in Shadyside yesterday and had a hard green, was going through an intersection just as a bicyclist comes flying through across the red and flipped me off for whatever reason (I'm guessing my offense was "driving an SUV" if my experience with bicyclists is anything to go by, because I sure wasn't the one in the wrong for the close-to-near-collision)

Old 08-29-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I asked a police officer the same question one time and his answer was:

"It is like fishing, you cannot catch them all".
Sadly they don't do tickets as far as I know in Pittsburgh, unless you blow through a red light or stop sign, but no speeding. Sure is one heck of a lot of carnage out there, but we aren't Denmark and certainly aren't progressive as far as catering to those who walk, cycle, or even motorcycle for that matter. I do love when fuel prices climb though. I know it makes the SUV drivers upset and it is fun to watch them put $70 in their tank.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:07 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&J O'Rourke View Post
I want to see all the selfish bicyclists ticketed for every offense they commit first. I was in Shadyside yesterday and had a hard green, was going through an intersection just as a bicyclist comes flying through across the red and flipped me off for whatever reason (I'm guessing my offense was "driving an SUV" if my experience with bicyclists is anything to go by, because I sure wasn't the one in the wrong for the close-to-near-collision)
I agree. Downtown the other day a bicyclist nearly hit me as a pedestrian in a crosswalk and also nearly wrecked into a woman rightfully proceeding through the intersection. It's a 4-way stop. He, on a bicycle, just came flying though. He never stopped, he never flinched, nothing. As she slammed on her breaks and he swerved and stopped to avoid me, he proceeded to yell at me and her and asked what was wrong with US. She moved right along, I of course yelled back and said, "Well, it's a 4-way stop, you never stopped and I'm a pedestrian in a crosswalk." I was then thrown some choice words!

I have nothing against bicyclists or SUV drivers or whatever bizarre stereotyped hang-up some other posters have. BUT, I must say, in my experiences, the majority of bicyclists I see don't obey the rules of the road. Everyone, big SUV, smartcar, or bicyclist needs to obey the traffic laws, otherwise that's when accidents happen. I just took a long weekend trip to Montreal. While I didn't care for the vibe of the city, their streets are equipped with two bicycle lanes (one for each direction) and the lanes are also controlled by the same traffic signals that control the vehicular traffic. It was wonderful. So much better for drivers, pedestrians, and vehicular traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh