Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:42 AM

9 posts, read 25,567 times

Advertisements

Hi,

we finally found a nice apartment for a short term rental (just two months). We are both not from the area so we didnt know if Northside is a safe area to live in.
The apartment is at Birghton Place (between Central North Side and Kirkbride, just one or two blocks away from the Police Station. We were not sure now if we should be afraid that it is not safe enough. We have a car and there is no garage available... and the house is not fenced...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 11:49 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,873,147 times
Don't get involved in drugs, gangs, or prostitution and you'll be fine. I live about two minutes up the road from there and everything's just fine.

Two months? Why not stay longer?

Edit: On the topic of cars, I have a soft-top convertible that I occasionally park in the street instead of my driveway (I think it's been in the garage once since we bought the house...) and it's never been so much as looked at twice. My Jeep has been streetside for days now and it's perfectly fine.

People worry too much about everything in Pittsburgh. Trouble rarely goes looking for those who don't look for it.

Last edited by MeinGlanzendMotorrad; 02-13-2011 at 12:04 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 01:17 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Trouble rarely goes looking for those who don't look for it.
I guess I'm the exception to that rule.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:58 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,381,571 times
I'm not a northsider or an urban pioneer yet heed my warning!!! California-Kirkbride is not a safe neiborghood, and Brighton Place is the worst part of it!!! Brighton Place, the home to the Brighton Place Cripz, is the hood. As noted in an article in the post gazette Californa-Kirkbride is on the rebound During National Night Out, North Side neighbors take back the street, but its still an unsafe crip hood... Although, California- Kirkbride should be quite duaring the day, compared to most of Manchester and Northview Heights where you should avoid in the day... The Tre 8's (Perry South), Wilson Ave Gangstas/Manchester O.G.z are there rivals. While the other cripz the Northview Heights Cripz, North Charles Street Cripz (of Perry South), and FineView Cripz from the Allegheny Dwellings Projects are their allinces. The northside as a whole is not as bad as the 90's, but there is still gang activity in some parts.

I may seem over the top and I truly don't meen to offend anyone....
OP you can honestly find a safer place to live, even on the northside. Also, the Police Station being so close will help you to your advantage if you still wanna live there... I wouldn't, but you'll probably be fine in daylight hours, but where blue or black if you go out at night.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:14 PM

oh... that doesnt sound so good.
But we really have the problem that we dont find any apartment for just two months. It is impossible...But reading this one post now we get really afraid.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:43 PM

I live right by Charles Street and have literally never had any negative interaction with anyone. In fact, even the usual guys who hang out on the street have been friendly.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:28 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,096,121 times
I don't think Brighton Place is necessarily the safest address in the city but honestly it's not nearly as bad as portrayed above. I live in the War Streets, just the other side of Brighton Rd and crime is not rampant.

As far as the gang situation on Brighton Place, I think tremendous progress has been made in the last 18 months or so. See link. Although I confess it's not an area or particular expertise for me.

4 More Go Down On Pittsburgh Gang Indictments - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh (http://www.wtae.com/news/26821583/detail.html - broken link)

I'm sure you'll be fine, normal urban precautions apply.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:34 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlinerina View Post
oh... that doesnt sound so good.
But we really have the problem that we dont find any apartment for just two months. It is impossible...But reading this one post now we get really afraid.
You have to understand that if you set out trying to define better and worse neighborhoods from a crime rate perspective, or delineate the turf of various gangs, and so on, you will come up with answers. But that doesn't necessarily mean all that is describing things that have a strong impact on every resident. In other words, a lot of that is in relative, not absolute terms, but what most people care about is the absolute and not the relative.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:24 AM

thanks...
we decided now to rent that place! it is just for two months and we will just be a bit careful...

Old 02-14-2011, 07:10 AM

You'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh