Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 02:18 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times

Advertisements

A few months ago I asked about vacation properties. I have started looking at different areas and did come across this area. Can anyone tell me about it.

It seems to be affordable for what we want ; 2-3 beds, on a river or lake and about 90mins from where we live now.

Thanks

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 03:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
We have property in Venango. It's a rural areal. Safe. Our 100 acres is accessible via a 1 mile long driveway that is off of a dirt road. That tells you how isolated we are. No utilities. No phone. Cel service is a 20 minute walk. I've never felt unsafe. We usually stay on the property the entire time we are there. Sometimes we go into town for breakfast. Every few years or so we'll check out a festival in one of the nearby towns. There are some great bike trails in the area. The hunting and fishing is great. There's not really much to tell.

If you're considering a place on a lake, you must be looking into Sandy Lake area. We went to Sandy Lake once when the children were young to swim. The lake was nice, clean. I don't recall there being many people. We might have been there on a weekday. If you are considering a trailer (I remember that's what you owned previously), you might find that the type of people who own summer places in trailer parks are a lower caliber compared to the ones outside of the NYC metro. The type of people who own summer places in trailer parks are often lower class party types. Lots of drinking and wildness. This applies to most of the vacation trailer parks anywhere in western PA IMO.

If you are considering an actual house along a river up or creek there, your neighbors will be year round locals or middle class family summer homes. We have a friend who owns a small house next to a river up there. Very quiet and peaceful.

I guess I'm trying to say that you might prefer buying a summer house instead of a summer trailer.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:59 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Not at trailer at all. Just looking for a cabin or small house. Something that we could use year round as a getaway. When the kids were small, we had a camper and then upgraded to a vacation home. its just too far now to use often so we would love something closer.
Thanks for getting back so quick. We did drive up that way last week and will go again this week .

d

Old 08-26-2012, 04:10 PM

Must have been someone else from NYC area that had a trailer in a park in the Pocono area.

You'll like Venango. It's very peaceful and safe.

It's the perfect distance with the drive long enough to feel like you're getting away but not so long that it wears you out.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:15 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
You should head up there for Applefest.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:10 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We have property in Venango. It's a rural areal. Safe. Our 100 acres is accessible via a 1 mile long driveway that is off of a dirt road. That tells you how isolated we are. No utilities. No phone. Cel service is a 20 minute walk. I've never felt unsafe. We usually stay on the property the entire time we are there. Sometimes we go into town for breakfast. Every few years or so we'll check out a festival in one of the nearby towns. There are some great bike trails in the area. The hunting and fishing is great. There's not really much to tell.

If you're considering a place on a lake, you must be looking into Sandy Lake area. We went to Sandy Lake once when the children were young to swim. The lake was nice, clean. I don't recall there being many people. We might have been there on a weekday. If you are considering a trailer (I remember that's what you owned previously), you might find that the type of people who own summer places in trailer parks are a lower caliber compared to the ones outside of the NYC metro. The type of people who own summer places in trailer parks are often lower class party types. Lots of drinking and wildness. This applies to most of the vacation trailer parks anywhere in western PA IMO.

If you are considering an actual house along a river up or creek there, your neighbors will be year round locals or middle class family summer homes. We have a friend who owns a small house next to a river up there. Very quiet and peaceful.

I guess I'm trying to say that you might prefer buying a summer house instead of a summer trailer.

Hi Hopes,

I'm currently living in a rural area in California with some land. I would like to relocate to Pa. for several personal reasons. You seem to know about rural living and I was wondering how the taxes are on 100-150 acres of land. I enjoy the outdoors and outdoor sports such as fishing and shooting. I was thinking of possibly a farm with wooded area between Pittsburgh and Erie. I know how to live off the grid and next to an electric toothbrush a chain saw is my favorite appliance. I love to burn wood.

Do you have any idea what the taxes would be on 150 acres close to great fishing. I'm referring to a clean lake, river or stream that isn't in danger of being polluted from gas drilling.

As always, your thoughts are appreciated.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:18 PM

It's hard to say what taxes would be for 100 acres. It depends on what's on the property. Hubby says that we currently pay about $2400. It was a couple hundred higher until last year when we removed a small shed on the far end of the property. When it was just land with no buildings, we paid $500. (We have owned the property for over 30 years.) Something happened, not sure what, and the taxes went up fairly high about 10 years ago. Hubby blames it on google earth. He thinks they didn't even know we were back there until then.

Anyways, the more elaborate the buildings, the higher the taxes. That's why I can't say for sure how much taxes would be. If you build a modest cabin, taxes will be lower than if you build a full size modern house. Being off the grid helps keep taxes down. Utility services increase property assessments, which means an increase in property taxes.

Our property has a great fishing stream going through it. I'm not sure you can have any guarantees that the shale drilling won't ruin any water in western PA. You'd have to look at the drilling map and focus on regions where there isn't drilling. I believe eastern PA might not have as much drilling but I also think land is more expensive because it's starting to become suburbs for Baltimore, NYC and NJ. But I'd say Lake Erie is probably safe from contamination. If you found property within reasonable driving distance to fish there, you'd be set.

Last edited by Hopes; 08-26-2012 at 08:30 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 08:45 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,217 times
Thanks Hopes,

Actually I was thinking about areas around Pymatuming or Conneaut. Do you know anything about those areas.

As much as I'd like to live in Pittsburgh, I don't think I'd find what I'd like in the city or close proximity to it. So I think I'd prefer something similar to what I'm used to and go for a larger parcel of land and drive into the city for a few days at a time.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:20 AM

508 posts, read 889,504 times
There is also a tiny little town called Venango in Crawford County or are you referring to Venango County? The former is real small but has dirt cheap housing.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,168 times
Our family has property and a cabin in the Clintonville/Kennerdell area, have been going there all of my life, fantastic area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh