Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 12:07 PM

10 posts, read 15,148 times

Advertisements

SteelCityRising and everyone else that was kind enough to respond,

Last thing I want to do is be unkind. I sincerely apologize for being mean, insensitive or hurtful.

Kudo's to you if love it here. I envy that because I am still looking for my nirvana. But to be honest with you my partner says I am hard to please. Virginia was an exception with it's beauty, and Italy and France were breath taking. But in all honesty I found issues with those places too. LOLOL.

Pittsburgh has it's own charm, unfortunately I have not been enchanted by it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 12:10 PM

10 posts, read 15,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Where did you live in DC? I spent around a year of my life living in Capitol Hill (NE) myself. Loved the scenery, hated the people.
-------

Alexandria, near old town.

I loved the people, places everything! But too expensive. Hated the traffic and that asinine street grid in DC.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:20 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Here is a map I enjoy as you can get right down to a specific address. Correlale this the crime rate map and you can see what areas would be desireable for your own criteria.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Old 08-26-2012, 02:29 PM

225 posts, read 299,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Talbot View Post

Cycling in my area is not illegal
The discussion isn't "is bicycling illegal," it's "is bicycling on the sidewalk illegal."

And

§ 3508. Pedalcycles on sidewalks and pedalcycle paths
(a) Right-of-way to pedestrians.--A person riding a pedalcycle upon a sidewalk or pedalcycle path used by pedestrians shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give an audible signal before overtaking and passing a pedestrian.
(b) Business districts.--A person shall not ride a pedalcycle upon a sidewalk in a business district unless permitted by official traffic-control devices, nor when a usable pedalcycle-only lane has been provided adjacent to the sidewalk.

There's the official answer, as it's a state law.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:03 PM

716 posts, read 765,711 times
Quote:
What is so crazy about what I wrote?

The truth hurts LOLOL. I DID NOT say that pittsburgh DID NOT have cultural amenities, go back and re-read what I wrote. Because I must have hit a nerve with you. If you like it, fine that's awesome but don't try to get others to come to ****sburgh because you are comfortable with it.

I inferred that Pittsburgh's art and cultural scene does not compare to the other cities. With a little research anyone can see that most cities have theater, ballet and opera etc. So lighten up pal!!
Lighten up? The only thing I said was you sounded a little crazy. And to me you did. I dont feel as if i am living in a place filled with uncultured citizens who all share the same narrow minded viewpoint of the world as you seemed to imply in your post. Im sorry you feel that way. And I'm hardly recruiting for new transplants to come here, I was simply comparing pgh and Philly in a way I thought would be helpful to the op. Also not sure when I brought up theater and opera?

Old 08-26-2012, 04:20 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,714 times
If the actual title of the post is the question of the post, Swisshelm Park has a lot of nice houses for sub-$200k, very low crime (most likely because it's an out-of-the-way neighborhood but not far from two other "destination" neighborhoods, Regent Square and Squirrel Hill). The houses tend to be early-to-mid 20th century construction, so if 1920s dark oak furnishings and stained glass windows don't depress you (I like them, but there's no denying stained glass darkens a room), or if you like brick midcentury modern styles, you might like that. The part of Swissvale immediately adjoining it (the general rule with Swissvale seems to be as long as you're west of Braddock and north of Church you should be fine) is safe as well and has a similar style, or I suppose I should say pair of styles.
As evidenced above, people are friendly but take offense if someone picks on the town too much. About a month ago I saw some weather channel comment on the top ten skylines in America and about half the comments section was Pittsburgh natives outraged that Pgh didn't get at least a mention. I much prefer this to civic apathy but I'll confess some days I find it hilarious.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:50 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,714 times
Also, because this is just slaying me:
Quote:
What is so crazy about what I wrote?

The truth hurts LOLOL. I DID NOT say that pittsburgh DID NOT have cultural amenities, go back and re-read what I wrote. Because I must have hit a nerve with you. If you like it, fine that's awesome but don't try to get others to come to ****sburgh because you are comfortable with it.
Can someone please explain to me what she meant here? LOLOL? Laugh out loud.... out loud? As opposed to laughing out loud to oneself? I am so confused by these big city kids and their hip internet lingo.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:41 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&J O'Rourke View Post
The discussion isn't "is bicycling illegal," it's "is bicycling on the sidewalk illegal."

And

§ 3508. Pedalcycles on sidewalks and pedalcycle paths
(a) Right-of-way to pedestrians.--A person riding a pedalcycle upon a sidewalk or pedalcycle path used by pedestrians shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give an audible signal before overtaking and passing a pedestrian.
(b) Business districts.--A person shall not ride a pedalcycle upon a sidewalk in a business district unless permitted by official traffic-control devices, nor when a usable pedalcycle-only lane has been provided adjacent to the sidewalk.

There's the official answer, as it's a state law.

Correct, so it ISN'T illegal. It is fine to ride a bike on the sidewalk in an area that isn't commercial.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:40 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
-------

Alexandria, near old town.

I loved the people, places everything! But too expensive.
there's the rub.

if you want a city with more cultural amenities, you have to pay more. pick one, inexpensive or extremely cosmopolitan, you can't have both. as i mentioned before, for me pittsburgh has more cultural/interesting stuff going on than any other city i've been to - *with a comparable cost of living*.

i don't generally take offense to every little negative thing people say about pittsburgh, but when you say you have to be white, republican, uncultured and older to be happy here - well that's just a massive (and incorrect) generalization. the republican part is especially funny if you live in the city or the inner suburbs. where i live, the democratic primary IS the election. people don't even run as republicans. people do run as republicans in the city, but there hasn't been a republican mayor in 80 years.

your personal experience here is negative, and that's valid, but when you make broad statements about who will and won't like living here (and incorrect statements like saying the public transportation is extremely limited without clarifying that you mean suburban service), especially when you make generalizations about the city and all the suburbs based on your experience in one suburb (and your apparent perception that the entire city or at least most of it is too dangerous to go at night), you have to expect a negative reaction.

Last edited by groar; 08-27-2012 at 05:05 AM..

Old 08-27-2012, 06:59 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i don't generally take offense to every little negative thing people say about pittsburgh, but when you say you have to be white, republican, uncultured and older to be happy here - well that's just a massive (and incorrect) generalization. the republican part is especially funny if you live in the city or the inner suburbs. where i live, the democratic primary IS the election. people don't even run as republicans. people do run as republicans in the city, but there hasn't been a republican mayor in 80 years.
I have to admit, I do find the "everyone is a Republican" thing particularly funny, because the city-phobia Terry seemed to have (Pittsburgh arguably does mostly have "bad" schools, but the crime rate isn't all that bad here), is more the Republican than Democratic stereotype.

I will say I noticed, coming here from a in the Northeast Corridor, that there is a much stronger correlation with party identification and income level, and particularly where you live.

Growing up in Connecticut, the wealth of towns had virtually nothing to do with party identification. There were poor white Republican towns (Naugatuck), and poor white Democratic towns (Norwich). Similarly, there were rich towns which were really Republican (New Canaan), and other rich towns which were really Democratic (Westport).

Out here, that isn't the case. Pretty much you can draw a straight line from most Democratic to least, based upon how black and/or poor a municipality is. I wonder if part of this is the Democratic Party was so long associated with the machine and working-class politics, that part of "moving on up" was changing your partisan affiliation.

Still, the correlation is a lot less than other parts of the county, like the South and Midwest. I suppose I just happened to grow up in an area which is an aberration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh