Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:21 PM

508 posts, read 889,504 times

Advertisements

Good evening,

Thank you one and all for all of your replies to my previous threads. Currently, I've narrowed down the search to "Brookline" Versus "Millvale." Using these two (2) "Zillow.Com" links:

Brookline Real Estate & Brookline Pittsburgh Homes for Sale - Zillow

Millvale Real Estate & Millvale PA Homes for Sale - Zillow

What do you think are the "winners" just based upon "Zillow.Com" in either location under the $65,000.00 marker?

The goal is to find the best property in either of those areas for the least amount of money. The best property as defined as the "least amount of obvious work needed." Preferably, the idea is to find a property that isn't on a main road and that has an optimal parking situation. (As defined as a driveway, garage and if needed a designed on-street parking spot) Thank you very much for all of your anticipated assistance and time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 06:00 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Millvale.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:04 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I'm refraining from helping you because you linked one of the homes I want to pounce on myself!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:05 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
I like this one in Millvale. It's not a traditional Millvale house, but it looks quite nice from the outside, and the inside could be dealt with. It's a duplex, which might work to your advantage, as your mom and your brother could have their own space but still be nearby. The only down side (besides getting things up past renter level) would be being the bad guy and kicking the tenants out.

For Brookline, this one, this one and this one are nice.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:11 PM

441 posts, read 766,234 times
I spent the summer looking at under $100K properties in Brookline. I can tell you from plenty of experience that if a house there is priced under $65K, then there's a damn good reason for it.

Driveways are somewhat rare there in all price ranges. Back alley parking pads and on-street parking are much more common

I don't know anything about Millvale, so I won't try to compare the two.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 PM

441 posts, read 766,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I like this one in Millvale. It's not a traditional Millvale house, but it looks quite nice from the outside, and the inside could be dealt with. It's a duplex, which might work to your advantage, as your mom and your brother could have their own space but still be nearby. The only down side (besides getting things up past renter level) would be being the bad guy and kicking the tenants out.

For Brookline, this one, this one and this one are nice.
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES STEP FOOT IN THIS HOUSE:

1119 Chelton Ave Pittsburgh, PA 15226

When I visited this property in June, there was a raccoon living in the attic. I saw it myself. Despite me notifying the listing agent and county health department, this house was never taken off the market to deal with the raccoon situation (which is illegal). For all we know, it's still living in there. This is a serious health hazard, especially considering the increasing rate of rabid raccoons being found in the city. Even if the raccoon is gone, the attic smelled very strongly of raccoon ****.

Also, the reason why there is a raccoon in attic is because there are massive holes in the roof.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:23 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES STEP FOOT IN THIS HOUSE.

1119 Chelton Ave Pittsburgh, PA 15226

When I visited this property in June, there was a raccoon living in the attic. I saw it myself. Despite me notifying the listing agent and county health department, this house was never taken off the market to deal with the raccoon situation (which is illegal). For all we know, it's still living in there. This is a serious health hazard, especially considering the increasing rate of rabid raccoons being found in the city. Even if the raccoon is gone, the attic smelled very strongly of raccoon ****.

Also, the reason why there is a raccoon in attic is because there are massive holes in the roof.
I laughed so hard when I read that.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 PM

508 posts, read 889,504 times
I agree this one looks particularly good: 672 Evergreen Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15209 MLS# 897419 - Zillow - although, it seems to have been on the market for a long time. It makes me wonder why and it may also present an opportunity. Thanks!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:40 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
The 636 Larose in Brookline is a bit higher than your max at 84k, but I bid on the nearly identical house next door (didn't get it) and was fairly impressed with the street.

Offers a nice view from there, all the homes have garages and driveways.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 PM

377 posts, read 652,114 times
That duplex in Millvale is in a flat area by the creek if I remember correctly. Also the hills are usually quieter/cleaner in Millvale. Just something to think about. That has been on the market for a really long time I remember it from back when I was selling my Millvale house.

This Millvale house interests me- It has more character inside than most of the houses I have seen in Millvale. It is obviously never going to flood where this house is. Obviously it needs some work. And for Millvale these are houses are not nearly as on top of each others as most are.
611 Stanton Avenue, Millvale PA - Trulia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh