Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:32 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
For someone coming from a cul-de-sac, sidewalk community of new homes with excellent schools, why would you recommend moving to the city? Solely for the purposes of being around other African American families? If that was THE most important factor to the OP above all else, okay I could maybe understand, but she clearly said that schools are the most important factor.

It comes across wrong to push the city on someone solely because they are black. The OP wants their kids to be treated "well and fair" - that can certainly be achieved outside the city, and possibly even more likely outside of the city.
It's a black middle-class area which goes to Allderdice. That particular house also goes to Colfax. So it's within the most highly-rated feeder zone in the city.

It's not like I suggested an area like southern Stanton Heights or Manchester, which are safe black middle class areas, but have pretty bad local schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 07:38 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's not like I suggested an area like southern Stanton Heights or Manchester, which are safe black middle class areas, but have pretty bad local schools.
Nothing about the OP's post suggested that she had any desire to live in the city.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:39 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
As usual, I don't see a problem with helping the OP understand her options, including in the City, even if she decides some of them are not suitable.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:41 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,914,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htowngirl40 View Post
We will be relocating to Pittsburgh from Houston, Texas. We currently live in a suburb outside the Houston Metro area. Our neighborhood is a sidewalk community with cul-de-sacs and homes ten years or younger in an excellent school district. The school district is very important to me so I wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations. Right now we're looking at South Fayette, Mt.Lebannon or Upper St. Clair. I know the houses will be older than what we're used to but schools is the most important factor in selecting a place to live. Diversity is somewhat of an issue as well, we are African American family. I would like my children to go to a school where they are treated well and fair.
Most of the housing stock in Allegheny County (aka USC, Mt. Lebo) are older houses with the exception of South Fayette. It is a newer area on the boarder of almost semi-rural areas. Upper Saint Clair is very high end suburbia and Mt. Lebanon is upper end almost city living. All have very good school districts, all being near the top of the state. When it comes to diversity, I'd say SF would give you the most of what you are looking for. Mt. Lebanon has a sizable Asian population (4% ish) and USC a little higher (6% ish). South Fayette has around 4% of Asian and African American along with a small but growing Hispanic sector (2-3%). Pittsburgh (especially Allegheny County) has very few areas where I would think race would be a problem. I highly doubt at high end school districts you guys are looking at, that fairness would be a problem. Good Luck!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
Nothing about the OP's post suggested that she had any desire to live in the city.
Point Breeze has sidewalks, ethnic diversity, and fairly good schools, which I believe makes it a legitimate candidate given what the OP told us. Certainly that is more than "nothing".

Old 08-29-2012, 07:49 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Point Breeze has sidewalks, ethnic diversity, and fairly good schools, which I believe makes it a legitimate candidate given what the OP told us. Certainly that is more than "nothing".
Indeed. Besides housing age (which she already understands she'll probably have to compromise on) I don't see what would be a turn off. I mean, yes, it's a grid pattern, but who cares about that versus cul-de-sacs? It still has wide tree-lined boulevards, and sidewalks aplenty.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:54 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,032 times
I agree that Point Breeze seems to be the optimum location for the OP.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:03 AM

429 posts, read 653,911 times
If she is looking for a excellent school district does Point Breeze really help her out?

Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
If she is looking for a excellent school district does Point Breeze really help her out?
Yes, as stated previously... Point Breeze has a superior feeder pattern.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
I think so, but it depends on what she specifically has in mind.

If you look at the issue in depth, it becomes apparent that the schools serving Point Breeze do a relatively good job serving a diverse population of students, and at the end of the process many students go to college, and some of the students go on to the top universities in the country.

The model you see in most of the suburban districts with high reputations starts with having very little socioeconomic diversity, and then they pretty much get the results you would expect given the nature of their student population. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think it is debatable whether that means those are actually more "excellent" schools.

I should note there are some highly-regarded suburban districts which have more socioeconomic diversity than most of their peers (albeit not as much as the City), such as Fox Chapel. In cases like that, there is a bit stronger argument to be made that their apparent excellence is not just derivative of their student population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh