Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Are there any other small cemetaries in that area?
Although adjacent, St Mary is distinct from Allegheny:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Mar...ry,_Pittsburgh

Quote:
Also... they describe the 2.6 acre plot as "undeveloped" as opposed to vacant, brownfield, etc.
That must just mean there are currently no structures on it (there is no such thing as a true greenfield site in Lawrenceville).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 09:58 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
They might be talking about the wooded area between Leslie Park and the Butler St. gatehouse?

Is this cemetery owned land that they are selling? Most of the grave expansion in Allegheny Cemetery are over on the Mossfield Blvd side of the property.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:58 AM

16 posts, read 30,632 times
When standing in front of the Teamster's building on Butler and looking up the hill, there appears to be a field next to the cemetary where I see people letting their dogs run loose. I can't see all that is back there - if there are graves or anything else, but it could be empty. I wonder if that could be it? I have not waited for a bus at that stop for awhile, so I might be remembering wrong.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:01 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Although adjacent, St Mary is distinct from Allegheny:

St. Mary Cemetery, Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That must just mean there are currently no structures on it (there is no such thing as a true greenfield site in Lawrenceville).

St. Mary's Cemetery is supposed to be expanding. Their plan is to convert the former and adjacent St. Mary's church into a mausoleum. If they bring the gate down lower on 46th St. to get the church behind the gates, that would be pretty significant improvement.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:25 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Could it be part of Heppenstall?
It's possible. My wife went to the last Allegheny Green Boulevard plan, and I know a row of Townhouses is going to be placed on that side of Hatfield, along with a mini-park. I don't think these two elements involved the entire site however.

Quote:
Partially true. There are some segments of Upper Lawrenceville which I think have never seen any development (behind and east of the Shop & Save), but I'm sure they aren't referring to this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
They might be talking about the wooded area between Leslie Park and the Butler St. gatehouse?

Is this cemetery owned land that they are selling? Most of the grave expansion in Allegheny Cemetery are over on the Mossfield Blvd side of the property.
Yeah, I suppose they could calve it off of the cemetery-owned area. I think there are a few graves in that section immediately adjacent to the internal roads though. Also, that would mean the area wouldn't have very much frontage on Butler.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:56 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
46th st 15201 - Google Maps

It is the land at the end of Carlton and Bancroft St. This has been in the works for well over a year....not so much with Heartland, but with Howard Hanna getting the Catholic Diocese to part with the land for a reasonable price. I remember being asked to walk the land and doing it after the Steelers and Patriots game last Fall. The Diocese wanted to sell it to Marcellus Shale people a few years ago.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:57 PM

And the end of Davison St.

Heartland built 4 townhouses on Wallingford at N Nevile last year.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:04 PM

540 posts, read 868,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Heartland built 4 townhouses on Wallingford at N Nevile last year.
Those are still being built (though they look almost done now).

Old 08-31-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
Those are still being built (though they look almost done now).
And they all sold within 2 weeks of being on the market before construction was really even started.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
46th st 15201 - Google Maps

It is the land at the end of Carlton and Bancroft St. This has been in the works for well over a year....not so much with Heartland, but with Howard Hanna getting the Catholic Diocese to part with the land for a reasonable price. I remember being asked to walk the land and doing it after the Steelers and Patriots game last Fall. The Diocese wanted to sell it to Marcellus Shale people a few years ago.
So they're subdividing it off of one of the parcels that that apartment complex has? It's a big parcel with a lot of unused land, but it's kind of awkward for a new development. The easiest thing would be to extend the streets a bit and put the new houses at the end of each, but I don't see how you'd fit 32 in like that - it looks like it has space for maybe 15-20. Adding a new road to tie the units together (47th?) would help with continuity, but result in even less space for units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh