Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:14 PM

34 posts, read 42,345 times

Advertisements

My vote is Napoli's on Murray Ave in Squirrel Hill. hands down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 06:52 PM

17 posts, read 26,592 times
I have yet to see anyone mention Genoa Pizza in Downtown Pittsburgh. I'm new to the PGH (been here 2 months), and have eaten at about a dozen pizzerias since I moved here, and Genoa is my favorite so far. They're open late as hell, too. Horrible service, but hey it's a pizzeria, what do you expect. Last time I went, they had on CNN, which seemed weird for a pizzeria, but I digress. Try it!

Old 10-27-2012, 03:51 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
One thing that I love out in Reading is Margarita pizza. Margarita Pizza there is crispy crust, good fresh tomato sauce, basil, and very little high quality Mozzerella cheese. Very little is used. Most of the Pizza had no cheese topping in spots. I really enjoy pizza for the taste of sauce and not loads of cheap cheese.

I never seen this style of Margarita pizza in Pittsburgh. I am sure it exists, but again, I am not a huge foodie who explores restaurants all the time. I am thinking Bella Luna in Monroeville might have it.
You'll see that style just about anywhere that claims to be Neapolitan, which in Pittsburgh includes Dinette, Il Forno, two Italian restaurants in Mount Lebanon whose name escapes me, Pi on Carson, probably another place on Carson which also escapes me, and whatever the gelato place is on Walnut Street in Shadyside. You'll also see it in Italy. The pizza places that sell it tend to be on the spendy side, and they'll publicize their fancy super-hot wood-fired or coal-fired oven and their insistence on using good probably-imported cheese and San Marzano tomatoes and whatever else. If you want to find it in any city, go where the yuppie foodies go. Just goes to show that you can elevate any food to fancypants dining if you start with good ingredients and don't ruin 'em in the process. I'm sure somewhere someone has turned tacos into haute cuisine.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:26 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
Mineos= The most overrated Pizza place that ever existed.
It was good in the early '70s, when Pittsburgh pizza was otherwise an oxymoron.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:31 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
The only good pizza in the whole wide world is in New York City. Seriously, no matter what you think, it's in New York. Because New York has the best of everything. It's true, seriously. The best sports teams, the best clothes, the best taxi cab drivers. Damn, no doubt, if they tried, the best Pierogies.

Why do we bother, we should all move there!!!

Old 10-27-2012, 05:22 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
The only good pizza in the whole wide world is in New York City. Seriously, no matter what you think, it's in New York.
That's not true at all, I've had good pizza in New Jersey also. West of the Delaware River, not so much.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:25 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
The only good pizza in the whole wide world is in New York City. Seriously, no matter what you think, it's in New York. Because New York has the best of everything. It's true, seriously. The best sports teams, the best clothes, the best taxi cab drivers. Damn, no doubt, if they tried, the best Pierogies.

Pizza = New Haven
Sports = Varies by year/sport
Cabs = Chicago
Clothes = Miami
Pierogies = Pittsburgh

Quote:
You'll see that style just about anywhere that claims to be Neapolitan, which in Pittsburgh includes Dinette, Il Forno, two Italian restaurants in Mount Lebanon whose name escapes me, Pi on Carson, probably another place on Carson which also escapes me, and whatever the gelato place is on Walnut Street in Shadyside. You'll also see it in Italy. The pizza places that sell it tend to be on the spendy side, and they'll publicize their fancy super-hot wood-fired or coal-fired oven and their insistence on using good probably-imported cheese and San Marzano tomatoes and whatever else. If you want to find it in any city, go where the yuppie foodies go. Just goes to show that you can elevate any food to fancypants dining if you start with good ingredients and don't ruin 'em in the process. I'm sure somewhere someone has turned tacos into haute cuisine.
Can't actually tell if you like margharita pizza or not...

Mt. Lebo is Il Pizzaiola for the custom-built by Neapolitan artisans 900F oven and the imported 00 flour and bufalo mozzarella needed to produce the DOC certified pizza. And it's really good. Not something I want every time I want pizza - and it's really only good when eaten there - but it is something worth having a couple times a year.

Not sure who you're thinking of for the other - Apizza Badamo has a margherita, but it's not true Neapolitan like Il Piz. And at Badamo you want the homemade cherry pepper topping anyway :-)

As far as 'yuppie' goes, there are plenty of non-yuppies who appreciate well-made food. And I'm not sure what 'fancypants' has to do with food when a place delivers the goods.

On tacos, Yo Rita did and now you can find 'em at Station St. Hot Dogs. I'd rather see haute cuisine in a taco than a sit down Mexican restaurant serving 'em, because tacos are either stand-up street food or late night after drinking snacks. Not something you go and sit down for outside a tacqueria.

I honestly don't understand why, when a chef or restaurant owner wants to do something better, more creative and more intelligent than what's already out there, they get categorized as pretentious.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:04 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:

Is this a feeble attempt at reverse psychology?

Old 10-27-2012, 10:12 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Nah, feeble attempt at humour.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:19 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

I honestly don't understand why, when a chef or restaurant owner wants to do something better, more creative and more intelligent than what's already out there, they get categorized as pretentious.
I apologize. That was not my intention. I was trying to avoid coming across as a pizza snob, and obviously I went too far if that is how it came across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh