Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 04:40 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,149,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
I know that I will take some heat for saying this, but the city that I feel has many similarities to Chicago would be Philadelphia (well my comparison would be between the loop and center city.) Chicago is a beautiful city, you should have a great time. It has tons to do, without the claustrophobic feel of Manhattan (where many times you are smashed shoulder to shoulder with strangers )
I haven't been to Chicago in 9 years so I'm excited to go back; even if it is only for a weekend. I was in Manhattan last month and I did feel a little frantic at times with all the crowds (it was also because the people I was with like to walk slow and they expected me to know where everything was for some reason). I could see you comparison of Chicago to Philly in downtown, but I don't see a big similarity in the residential neighborhoods between the two. I've also heard people say Chicago is comparable to Toronto.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:19 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I haven't been to Chicago in 9 years so I'm excited to go back; even if it is only for a weekend. I was in Manhattan last month and I did feel a little frantic at times with all the crowds (it was also because the people I was with like to walk slow and they expected me to know where everything was for some reason). I could see you comparison of Chicago to Philly in downtown, but I don't see a big similarity in the residential neighborhoods between the two. I've also heard people say Chicago is comparable to Toronto.
And August is the quietest month in Manhattan

Old 09-09-2012, 05:37 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
I just spent the day in buffalo and Niagara falls I find it to have more of a Midwestern feel than any of Pittsburgh due to how flat it is and a lot of the homes are pretty similar to those in Cleveland so in a way I thought it felt like Cleveland today.
Yea, I feel that Buffalo is a bit of an extension of the Midwest. From a glance it seems like it has some similarities with Cleveland. Interesting that Pittsburgh is rather different.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yea, I feel that Buffalo is a bit of an extension of the Midwest. From a glance it seems like it has some similarities with Cleveland. Interesting that Pittsburgh is rather different.
One aspect where Cleveland and Pittsburgh are pretty similar though is with immigration patterns as both have a lot of people of Eastern European and Slavic descent than just about anywhere else in the country, but if you drive around both I find the difference between the two to be large.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
One aspect where Cleveland and Pittsburgh are pretty similar though is with immigration patterns as both have a lot of people of Eastern European and Slavic descent than just about anywhere else in the country, but if you drive around both I find the difference between the two to be large.
There's a decent amount of Eastern European population in Western Massachusetts. We have a Polish Roman Catholic Church here. Probably not as Eastern European as Pittsburgh, though.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
And August is the quietest month in Manhattan
Which one is the busiest? While there was a lot of foot traffic, driving wasn't as difficult as I expected it to be.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Which one is the busiest?
Usually December. Holiday shoppers and sightseers. Ultimate of course is Times Square the entire day on Dec 31st. I've never found Manhattan that claustrophobic except in parts during rush hours (and yes, hovering in the middle of the sidewalk is annoying, you're in the way) but by noontime on Dec 31st Times' Square was so packed it scared me a bit.

Last week or two of August just before school starts is relatively sleepy.

Also I agree with you that Philly and Chicago feel nothing alike.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:03 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
My very first time in NYC was on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Since my dad REFUSED to drive in the city, we drove to our hotel in NJ and took the bus in. I was freaking out due to the sheer number of people there (I was 12 at the time) wish everyone shoving their way to the front so their kids could get the best view, and with the NYPD screaming to "get back on the sidewalks." I will admit that the level of crowdedness isn't as bad as the parade, but compared to almost any other city that I have been to, NYC is by and far the most crowded (LA actually feels quite spacious)

Old 09-09-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Usually December. Holiday shoppers and sightseers. Ultimate of course is Times Square the entire day on Dec 31st. I've never found Manhattan that claustrophobic except in parts during rush hours (and yes, hovering in the middle of the sidewalk is annoying, you're in the way) but by noontime on Dec 31st Times' Square was so packed it scared me a bit.

Last week or two of August just before school starts is relatively sleepy.

Also I agree with you that Philly and Chicago feel nothing alike.
I was in NYC one year between Christmas and New Year's when I was twelve and do remember there being such large crowds on Fifth Ave and Broadway, especially around all the stores where there was barely room to walk around. Through the crowds however, I still love to visit New York.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:51 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
Quote:
Which one is the busiest? While there was a lot of foot traffic, driving wasn't as difficult as I expected it to be.
Definitely the holidays but the fall in general is much busier (same is true in philly and DC on a much smaller scale). If you watch the cars in ny its mostly cabs. Bus fare from Philly is less than the tolls. Some rush hour njt trains pack in upwards of 1400 ppl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh