Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 12:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,458 times

Advertisements

John128
We lived here for a little more than a year. The first bad thing that happened after we moved in was that suddenly 2 credit watch companies started deducting money from my checking account without my permission or even my knowledge. This caused a couple of checks to bounce and the only way to stop it was to change banks. The maintanence was always a problem. The sidewalks were in poor condition and during the winter snow removal was slow and spotty at best. Then the corporation hat owns the complex wanted the residents to pay the rent and water bill on-line so I bought aprepay debit card for this purpose. I put enough money on the card to pay the rent and water but when I went to the web site to pay the corporation wanted an additional $24.00 as a convienence fee which I couldn't pay because I hadn't known this fee would be charged. The local manager never informed anyone that thiss would happen. By the time that I was able to withdraw the cash and paying the $15.00 fee for that our rent was late and short. This resulted in an eviction and because we couldn't all of our belongings within the 2 hour time limit over $9,000 worth of our belongings were stolen by the management. The borough is also complicite in all this by charging each resident a $60.00 apartment inspection fee and never inspected the apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 05:41 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times
The only way this place could ever solve it's problems, would be for a company with money to buy the place, shut it down, and do a total, and comprehensive rehab of the place. I just don't think the area is desirable enough to make the numbers work, nor do I think that the dated layout of the apartments could be modernized enough to attract the sort of high rent tenants that would be necessary to make such an investment feasible.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:51 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
The only way this place could ever solve it's problems, would be for a company with money to buy the place, shut it down, and do a total, and comprehensive rehab of the place. I just don't think the area is desirable enough to make the numbers work, nor do I think that the dated layout of the apartments could be modernized enough to attract the sort of high rent tenants that would be necessary to make such an investment feasible.
Tastes change as well the economy.

Maybe in not so long, the Mon Valley might make an economic comeback, and suburban apartment complexes might become more trendy for yuppie types who can afford high rent.

It would be pretty speculative to make that kind of investment now, you'd look like a genius if things turned around quickly and it paid off.

In the mean time, poor people still need a place to live and with so much of the city gentrifying, there definitely is a need for lower tier apartments.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:39 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Maybe in not so long, the Mon Valley might make an economic comeback, and suburban apartment complexes might become more trendy for yuppie types who can afford high rent.
I really don't see someone opting to pay $1,500/month+ to rent a 1-BR in an aging (yet renovated) apartment community in the Mon Valley when they could have a nice 1-BR loft in the Strip District, Lawrenceville, or Polish Hill for that same price point. Why trade walking to coffee shops, libraries, performing arts venues, parks, markets, boutiques, restaurants, bars, etc. to being able to walk to nothing? I'm finally at peace with my own rent now that a new market has just opened right across the street from me, giving me easy access to bread, milk, produce, a deli, snacks, etc.

After a hair-raising drive through Murrysville during the Tuesday PM rush the other day I'm thoroughly convinced that newer suburbia offers the worst of everything. You're too far from urbanity to really appreciate it enough, yet you're also not far enough removed from civilization to feel like you have much in the way of peace, quiet, or "breathing room", if you will, as you'd enjoy in rural surroundings. You're just in a traffic-laden hell (including non-synchronized traffic signals) for mile after mile while you get to sit and stare at stick figure families on the back windows of SUVs and wacky waving inflatable tube arm dudes in front of mattress stores that are barely generating a profit.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:51 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I really don't see someone opting to pay $1,500/month+ to rent a 1-BR in an aging (yet renovated) apartment community in the Mon Valley when they could have a nice 1-BR loft in the Strip District, Lawrenceville, or Polish Hill for that same price point. Why trade walking to coffee shops, libraries, performing arts venues, parks, markets, boutiques, restaurants, bars, etc. to being able to walk to nothing? .

At this point in time, of course you're right. The Baldwin Court/Green Ghettos/New Residences of South Hills complex isn't very ideally located for many people.

However, areas turn around, and if employment opportunities pick up out that way, I'd rather live there than in Polish Hill if my job was at the Irvin Works, County Airport or Continental Can.

We've had more than 1 poster on this forum that were recruited from out of town to work at the Bettis location, no area is permanently dead.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:07 AM

36 posts, read 46,263 times
I'd avoid the Residences of South Hills. Bed bugs and roaches which are not being treated for properly. Bad environment for residences and staff. Terrible upper management. Very bad industry reputation. The employees hate working there. Very sad. I didn't stay and so glad to get out of that company. Rude office staff as well. I can go on and on. Sorry. Pittsburgh people though are great!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:03 AM

69 posts, read 97,665 times
There are nice duplexes in mt lebannon right on castle shannon dr for 850 month. It's safe, your in walking distance to the t. And I think it's priced under market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh