Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 PM

472 posts, read 626,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Now that's funny in spite of the circumstances.
True!

Old 09-06-2012, 02:04 PM

270 posts, read 340,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
The randomness of the story makes me quite skeptical of its truthiness.

Wow. The closest thing I've ever heard to this is the "freeway shootings" in L.A. where apparently people were randomly targeted on the freeway while in their cars. Normally there is something amiss when someone is "randomly" attacked like this- as in it wasn't so random after all. Definitely wouldn't expect something like this in Pittsburgh.

That said, I honestly have seen more road rage here than anywhere in the U.S. I have ever lived, and that includes much larger cities with much worse reputations (Houston, L.A., Chicago). It usually ends up being some yahoo in an oversized pickup, but not always. Once I had a guy in a Prius (yes, a Prius) follow me out of a supermarket parking lot literally leaning on his horn the entire way, all becuase I did not stop to let him pull in front of me coming out of his parking aisle. He wasn't even sticking out of the aisle yet, and I didn't speed up to get in front of him or anything. I am starting to think that a lot of Pittsburghers have extremely short fuses.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:11 PM

270 posts, read 340,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvan View Post
Years ago I was making a right onto highland from the upper level of the whole foods shopping center pulled in front of a woman there was most definately sufficient space although she apparently did not agree. She raced into oncoming traffic to get in front of me and stoped her car and pointed a gun at me... I couldn't drive anywhere so I just called 911 and reported her license number. That was horrifying.
Hey, don't worry, it's people who hurt people, not guns (or so the NRA claims).

Old 09-06-2012, 02:14 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
This scares me because my bicycle has been my primary mode of transportation. I've been harassed while riding my bike. And this is in the Atlanta area.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:15 PM

781 posts, read 1,618,733 times
Jeebus! I hope this wasn't a random attack. It is insane!

Old 09-06-2012, 02:20 PM

831 posts, read 878,342 times
While this doesn't condone violence, it at least shines a light into some of the reasons why road rage may exist.

An interesting article written by a cyclist:

Self-Righteous Cyclists Cause Share of Road Rage | The Urban Cyclist

Old 09-06-2012, 02:24 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvdog View Post
Hey, don't worry, it's people who hurt people, not guns (or so the NRA claims).
Something similar happened to me as what happened to irishvan but out in front of Target on Penn. My thought since then has been to make sure I have a handgun accessable in my car, not to avoid having one. I'm not sure how not having a gun would put me in a better situation.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:26 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I'm afraid it doesn't seem far fetched to me. An old boyfriend of mine flipped off a driver (not the brightest move) in front of him for cutting him off and the next thing he knew a guy was standing up through the sunroof and pointing a gun at him. That's as far as it went, thank God.

Another friend of mine lost her son. The teenage boy was hanging out with his friends late at night (he had sneaked out) and they were throwing rocks at cars - I know, incredibly stupid. One car stopped and a bunch of guys got out and attacked them with knives. Her son died. This was in a middle class suburb of SF. What the boy did was wrong, but he didn't deserve to die for it.
This stories are terrible but it also shows that it's better than walk away than get into trouble or fight with strangers becuase you never know how crazy someone can be.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:27 PM

831 posts, read 878,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Something similar happened to me as what happened to irishvan but out in front of Target on Penn. My thought since then has been to make sure I have a handgun accessable in my car, not to avoid having one. I'm not sure how not having a gun would put me in a better situation.
Agreed. Until nobody owns them (which is an unrealistic pipe dream), you're at a disadvantage if you don't.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:30 PM

472 posts, read 626,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
While this doesn't condone violence, it at least shines a light into some of the reasons why road rage may exist.

An interesting article written by a cyclist:

Self-Righteous Cyclists Cause Share of Road Rage | The Urban Cyclist

Nope, no way, no reason for a human being to slit another human beings throat because they are so angry at them in traffic. If the person flips you the bird and tells you to sqrew off there is still no reason for the violence.

In the end those self-ritious Peformance Bike shoppers are putting their own lives in danger not signaling or following general road rules puts them in danger of being doored or hit. We are talking people being so infuriated by someone on the road that they have to cause physical harm.

Alot of it is being really self aware and aware of your surroundings and wtf is going on but some it is this scary **** that we can't control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh