Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 PM

21 posts, read 42,129 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job located in Canonsburg and need some advice on where to live. My parameters are within 30 minutes to the office, top notch school system, newer home (2000 or newer), budget up to 600k, and preferably close to shopping. Any ideas on towns/neighborhoods that I should target? I could push the budget a bit but would rather stay under 600k if possible.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
With that budget you can live anywhere and send your kids to private school. You'll have a hard time spending more than $400K on a house. Top public school systems within 20-30 mins are Upper St. Clair and Mt. Lebanon although Peters Twp (lower taxes) isn't bad.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:41 AM

270 posts, read 341,047 times
Upper St Clair has the #1 school district in Western PA, and $600K would buy you a castle there. Watch out for the high property taxes though. It might be hard to find post-2000 construction there.

Peters Township is a bit closer to Canonsburg and has more new construction and lower property taxes. Their school district is up-and-coming but is not in the top 10 like Upper St Clair.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
Peters, Venetia, Mt Lebanon. Excelent school districts. When i worked in Canonsburgh I had coworkers from even more south like 84, even Washington PA. But if I were you I'd stick with the first three.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:27 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Give Collier Township a look. It's located south of I-376 and west of I-79 with quick access to both highways, and most of the houses there are pretty new. It's still a relatively undeveloped area, though, so there is no major commercial corridor, but it's adjacent to Robinson Township, which is the commercial nexus of Pittsburgh's western suburbs. The area with most of the commerce is where I-376 intersects with U.S. 22 and U.S. 30, and getting there from Collier Township, would take anywhere from five to 15 minutes, depending on which part of the township you're in.

Property taxes in Allegheny County are highly variable from one municipality to another, and I don't know what they are in Collier Township, but if they are on the higher end there, then I'd recommend looking for a house in the $300K to $400K range, especially since you'll still get a lot of house for that price. Most new houses in Collier Township are in that price range as it is. As for the Schools, the Collier Township School District hasn't (yet) won any national awards, but it's still a very high-quality school district.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:29 AM

110 posts, read 152,917 times
Let me throw in one more choice and I do think Upper St Clair for your income is perfect, I would also consider Bethel Park.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:56 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy53 View Post
Let me throw in one more choice and I do think Upper St Clair for your income is perfect, I would also consider Bethel Park.
I wouldn't recommend Bethel Park. Its housing stock is older than he's looking for, and well below his price range to boot.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I wouldn't recommend Bethel Park. Its housing stock is older than he's looking for, and well below his price range to boot.
I'd also skip Mt Lebanon- its housing stock is pretty old (lots of character, but old) and it's a long (30 min or more) commute to Canonsburg from there. Granted, for $600K you could probably buy one of those big old stone palaces in Mt. Lebo- but its unlikely they would have the modern features you're looking for in a newer home.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:18 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Buy in either the Upper St. Clair or Peters School District. Peters probably has newer houses and the taxes are lower so I would look there first.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Give Collier Township a look. It's located south of I-376 and west of I-79 with quick access to both highways, and most of the houses there are pretty new. It's still a relatively undeveloped area, though, so there is no major commercial corridor, but it's adjacent to Robinson Township, which is the commercial nexus of Pittsburgh's western suburbs. The area with most of the commerce is where I-376 intersects with U.S. 22 and U.S. 30, and getting there from Collier Township, would take anywhere from five to 15 minutes, depending on which part of the township you're in.

Property taxes in Allegheny County are highly variable from one municipality to another, and I don't know what they are in Collier Township, but if they are on the higher end there, then I'd recommend looking for a house in the $300K to $400K range, especially since you'll still get a lot of house for that price. Most new houses in Collier Township are in that price range as it is. As for the Schools, the Collier Township School District hasn't (yet) won any national awards, but it's still a very high-quality school district.

I have to say I don't understand the Collier recommendation- if the OP is willing to live somewhere that doesn't have a "top 5" school district then Peters would be a much better choice than Collier- very close to Canonsburg, new housing stock, and you avoid Allegheny County property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh