Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 12:22 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

They shoulda had more Steeler displays n'at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 01:12 PM

423 posts, read 629,047 times
These things are kinda neat, but definitely not a yearly tradition. It's more fun to walk / drive around and see people's lit-up houses.

One advantage of cancelling it is not wasting all that electricity and fuel, but that consideration never really entered into it, I know.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:22 PM

377 posts, read 652,114 times
Aww. It was a family tradition for us. We actually usually went Thanksgiving night---there was no traffic. There was def. tons of traffic closer to Christmas.

It was $10 per car not person and went to Project Bundle Up I believe. Really sad about this. I have been to Oglebay but not as nice as Hartwood Acres. I kept the tradition going with my daughter who loved it. It is something amazing to see for a 2 year old. I will take her to Oglebay this year.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:02 PM

116 posts, read 216,162 times
Instead of the huge cost of running this event, couldn't the sponsors chip in a small amount and together easily come up with $150k to go to Project Bundle Up and the Salvation Army? Of course they won't get their name on the commercial or print material or a huge Rite Aid sign in blue lights for you to stare at while stuck in traffic in Hartwood...

Old 09-14-2012, 01:35 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
The announcement was probably made in September to give somebody or some sponsor time to find the money by November.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:56 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
I have mixed feelings. I know kids love it, but it is time to be more green and think outside the box. We don't need a zillion lights to make us happy. Maybe they could do something else fun? I am not sure what, but maybe a walk through the park with some displays and interaction? Something more updated and not people driving around in their SUV's with headlights blaring and fuel burning. Maybe actually get out and smell the air and enjoy Santa and other cool interactive displays of a much smaller scale. Sure the Walmart crowd won't like it, because.... well exercise and all, but in that location, I think quite a few might enjoy a nice walk!

Old 09-14-2012, 03:17 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have mixed feelings. I know kids love it, but it is time to be more green and think outside the box. We don't need a zillion lights to make us happy. Maybe they could do something else fun? I am not sure what, but maybe a walk through the park with some displays and interaction? Something more updated and not people driving around in their SUV's with headlights blaring and fuel burning. Maybe actually get out and smell the air and enjoy Santa and other cool interactive displays of a much smaller scale. Sure the Walmart crowd won't like it, because.... well exercise and all, but in that location, I think quite a few might enjoy a nice walk!
So you'd rather we all spend Christmas in the dark?

Lights have always been an integral part of the Christmas experience, whether it's the Star of Bethlehem or various candle displays in churches or town squares, or on Christmas trees, or in the windows of houses before the use of electricity. Besides, the days get shorter and the nights get longer in December, so the lights alleviate the pervasive darkness. Furthermore, we'll be using less energy as our Christmas lights switch to LEDs and our SUVs start featuring "start/stop" technology.

(My father's power bill typically has a secondary peak in December, but the peak last year was about 15% lower after he retired about a third of his old Christmas lights and replaced them with LEDs.)

Old 09-14-2012, 03:22 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
So you'd rather we all spend Christmas in the dark?

Lights have always been an integral part of the Christmas experience, whether it's the Star of Bethlehem or various candle displays in churches or town squares, or on Christmas trees, or in the windows of houses before the use of electricity. Besides, the days get shorter and the nights get longer in December, so the lights alleviate the pervasive darkness. Furthermore, we'll be using less energy as our Christmas lights switch to LEDs and our SUVs start featuring "start/stop" technology.

(My father's power bill typically has a secondary peak in December, but the peak last year was about 15% lower after he retired about a third of his old Christmas lights and replaced them with LEDs.)
Things actually change you know. I mean, considering the coal we burn and the energy required for that stuff, we need to look to the future. Sometimes the future is not easy, because it has that horrible word attached. "Change" People don't like it and I do understand, but it is happening whether you like it or not. A few lights for some little interactive displays would be cool. We don't need a million lights to keep tradition alive. You know there was a time people would have candles lit on their Christmas trees. Fire hazard anyone? We need to evolve. Enjoy the ride. Sleigh ride that is.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Remember the candles in paper bags with sand?

Old 09-14-2012, 08:41 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,831 times
It doesn't seem like this event will be missed by many people. It's amazing the County paid so much into it for so long; I bet if it was more widely known how much this cost taxpayers it would have ended years ago. There wasn't much of a return at all for charity, either.

I think Curtis is right - its time has passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh