Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 10:11 AM

36 posts, read 59,194 times

Advertisements

They are really selling it to say good things about Wilmington. I live in the historic district, one block away from the most beautiful homes in the city. We've had 27 shootings in our 3 block radius in the last year. 10 people killed in front of my home in two years. It's beautiful, close to ammenities, but the gangs and drugs are really taking over. The killers and the people being killed aren't even residents of my street!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 11:49 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Urbanbird, I don't think you yourself have chimed in on school districts yet. Are you seeking top ranked schools, or just something generally acceptable?

Old 09-14-2012, 01:35 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Crafton.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:43 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Crafton.
What she said. Truly one of the best (if not the best) values in the Pittsburgh region.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:02 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
A forever home would most likely be out of Allegheny County. Butler or Westmorland would be a better choice IMHO. Why pay these crazy taxes and it is only going to get worse, with the lack of funding, because there is no money. Just a very poorly managed region.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:48 PM

We aren't actually considering public schools very much, sorry, I should have mentioned that. But the schools around here are so bad, all of PA's schools are probably better.

How do you guys feel about southside flats area? Wilkensburg area?

Old 09-14-2012, 07:17 PM

I'm loving the Crafton area by the way!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:57 PM

To give you an idea of the crime level I'm used to in Wilmington, DE:

The big red balloon, if you can see it mixed in with all of the bright red SHOOTINGS!!!! is my house.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanbird View Post
We aren't actually considering public schools very much, sorry, I should have mentioned that. But the schools around here are so bad, all of PA's schools are probably better.

How do you guys feel about southside flats area? Wilkensburg area?
Southside flats is not really good for families. It's generally safe, but it's Pittsburgh's biggest nightlife destination (home to something like 60 bars) and attracts a lot of people on the weekends. Parking can be a major issue in the evening and the drunks can pose problems by starting fights, vandalizing, urinating/vomiting on your property, etc.

Wilkinsburg is a unique case because it is large enough to have several different neighborhoods in it, some of which are really bad. If you want to have a family oriented life in Wilkinsburg you should basically stay west of the busway and south of Penn Avenue. Regent Square and Whitney Park are the two areas of Wilkinsburg that could be worth looking into. Keep in mind that Regent Square has some very high property taxes (but lower home values and lower income taxes than the city) and that the public school district should definitely be avoided. Regent Square itself is an anomaly because only a small section of it is in Wilkinsburg, the rest is in Pittsburgh, Edgewood, and Swissvale.

I think Regent Square fits the bill for everything you've said except for having a view. You have easy access to the playground, trails, and woods of Frick Park; there's a nearby business district along Braddock Avenue, and you have really easy access to explore the rest of the East End and downtown. There's also a strip mall style shopping center called Edgewood Town Center nearby, it's nothing to brag about but it would be convenient.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanbird View Post
To give you an idea of the crime level I'm used to in Wilmington, DE:

The big red balloon, if you can see it mixed in with all of the bright red SHOOTINGS!!!! is my house.
Wow, I don't even think a map of the worst ghettos here would have that much concentrated crime. In your price range it isn't even a question, really. The only way you could spend $150K in a ghetto in Pittsburgh is if you were a sucker for historic homes or a view....and even then it would still probably be cheaper than $150K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh