Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:03 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,312 times

Advertisements

the intersection of lebanon road and lebanon church road in west mifflin at the mcdonalds and the one right after that where you can go up to c.square. another mention is the intersection of leb.churgh road and delwar. i see cars crashing there all the time. people run the red light all the time and do not know the proper lanes to be in to go straight, left, merge and so on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:05 AM

the entire stretch of carson street from the birmingham bridge to becks run. ive been hit there myself and see wrecks a couple times a week at the bridge intersection and then the hot metal street intersection and at becks run intersection

Old 09-19-2012, 08:06 AM

51 and 88 and 51 and maytide
nuff said!

Old 09-19-2012, 12:31 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Man, Girl Both in Comas After Brownsville-Route 51 Crash - Baldwin-Whitehall, PA Patch

Old 09-19-2012, 01:35 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
Generally, there need to be more left turn arrows on traffic lights throughout the region. There are many intersections where only one or two cars are able to sneak through, and that is usually done by running the red. I was at Centre and Highland last week trying to making a left and it sucked. There are way too many intersections like that.
More left-turn signals on a lot of roads (Fifth, Forbes, Penn, Liberty, Carson, Murray, Shady, etc. etc.) would solve an awful lot of problems. I've become more aware of how I adjust many of my routes from here and there (even if they're more convoluted) so I don't have to make left turns.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:14 PM

595 posts, read 600,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjost7 View Post
Modern roundabouts often cause apprehension at first, but then are accepted. The Rochester roundabout in District 11-0 appears to be an example.

Modern roundabouts can be good solutions for certain intersections. They do have their limitations and issues. Right-of-way, accommodating blind pedestrians, not a good solution unbalanced flow, and have capacity constraints (just like any other element of a highway).

Capacity can be increased to some extent by lane separation (see turbo roundabouts).
They've added two roundabouts in Moon Township in the last 2 years, one near the Dick's headquarters and one at the Ewing Road Interchange.

Also, surprised no one has mentioned the intersection of California Ave/Termon Ave/Brighton Heights Blvd. This 5 point intersection has simultaneous green lights from multiple streets without clear indication of what constitutes going straight, or a left hand turn, or where other traffic is coming from.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
I nominate South Craig at Forbes Avenue in Oakland. I have witnessed many accidents there and know somebody who was hit by driver running a red.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 986 times
Washington Blvd. and Allegheny River Blvd. is a pedestrian dead-end with "No pedestrian crossing" signs posted all the way around the intersection. At least a bicycle is needed to legally traverse this intersection.

Negley Ave. and Baum Blvd. can be a nightmare, especially for pedestrians on the north sidewalk of Baum Blvd. as they are forced to cross Baum Blvd. twice due to the "No pedestrian crossing" signs posted across the Negley Ave. approach from the north. This being a skewed intersection with no leading or exclusive pedestrian interval doesn't make it any better. Ironically, on Negley Ave and Centre Ave., there is an exclusive pedestrian interval as part of the traffic light cycle.

Saw Mill Run Blvd./Library Rd./Glenbury St./Hillview St. is a nightmare to get across as a pedestrian as it takes forever due to the "No pedestrian crossing" signs across Library Rd.

Gamma Dr. and Zeta Dr. I was riding my bike from the bus stop at the Rt. 28 ramp to Evolutionary Fitness on Gamma Dr. below Alpha Dr. I was almost hit by a Jeep turning left from Zeta Dr. I think left turns should be banned from Zeta Dr. at all times.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:25 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Stanwix and Blvd of the Allies.

Dumb idiots running lights, doing Pittsburgh Lefts when pedestrians have right of way.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:29 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
Out this way is the north part of Rochester Rd and Loweries Rd. Should be reworked to add a light. Cars are usually traveling at a really good speed and if you are heading north it is very hard to figure out which direct the cars will go at the fork. There have been plenty of accidents there and when my kids were in school maybe 8 years ago there was a crash with 2 brothers in the back. The younger was killed and the other had a very hard time dealing with that right in front of him.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5347...=en&authuser=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh