Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 AM

632 posts, read 1,068,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM-RN View Post
Ditto! I was just offered a job at UPMC Mercy and I've been researching apartments withing walking distance. From the website it looking/sounds like a nice place but the online reviews beg to differ. So that scares me as well. Would be nice to get more feedback from people who've actually lived there. Or, can anybody else chime in on apartments within walking distance to UPMC Mercy?
Girlfriend just moved out of Crawford Square apartments/townhouses, right at Centre and Crawford (just behind the Washington Plaza). Maybe a 2 minute longer walk than Washington Plaza to Mercy.

These are quite nice, and relatively cheap (if Washington Plaza is in your price range). Offstreet parking lots, townhouses with washers/dryers, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 08:43 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,683,965 times
I lived at WP for a while. In general, I felt that the WP was awesome for location, amenities, and price. I had a horrible experience with management, but I generally liked the maintenance guys and the doormen. When I moved, I received back my entire security deposit. The bad experiences with management were not enough to deter me from recommending the building to others.

When I lived in WP, I shared a 2br/1ba with a roommate. I think we each paid $625/month including utilities, and for the location I thought that was a really good deal. The views are great from either side of the building, and I loved having all the huge windows.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:51 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,685,270 times
Thank you all! I know I sound like a broken record, but Pittsburgh posters are THE BEST on City Data! What a great sell you all are for your city.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:55 PM

875 posts, read 1,486,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Impala, I believe you. After all, you work there. But on the web there are a lot of reviews re Washington Plaza and the vast majority of the reviews give WP a low, low rating. Can you tell me why there might be so many bad reviews? Not at all trying to back you up against a wall. Just wondering. The reviews scare me. LOLOLOLOL

Thanks!
Sorry to take so long in responding to your post...

Most of the negative reviews are inflated by folks that butted heads with management, quite frankly. Management can be a little standoffish at times, thus the bad reviews, but if you're prompt on paying your rent and parking fees, you should have no problems with them. The only other negative I can see arising is, as another poster said, the relative abundance of university students (mostly Duquesne, but some Pitt and CMU). About half of these students are well-behaved and polite, but you can run into some issues with noise and rowdiness with others, but again, in this city so close to so many universities, it's pretty much par for the course I think.

Living here the basic mantra seems to be, "be polite and respectful and you shall be greeted with it in return".

I'd be more than happy to field additional questions if need be!

Old 09-30-2012, 04:00 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,685,270 times
Thanks, Impala, no more questions. What you said makes sense. For me -- I don't think I want to live with a bunch of university students. I love young people -- I love my peace and quiet more. LOLOLOLOLOL Thank you for responding again!! /// You've got your WHOLE life ahead of you. I wish you the very best.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:20 PM

875 posts, read 1,486,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Thanks, Impala, no more questions. What you said makes sense. For me -- I don't think I want to live with a bunch of university students. I love young people -- I love my peace and quiet more. LOLOLOLOLOL Thank you for responding again!! /// You've got your WHOLE life ahead of you. I wish you the very best.

Likewise, happy to help. I wish you the very best of luck in you search for a place to live!

Old 10-27-2013, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 909 times
lived here since 2009. If you don't mind the noise (sorry, been up since 5:30am on sunday 'cause of apt upstairs. new people, and they don't seem to care that some people actually work for a living and don't want to listen to their lame music). I was born and raised in the city, and as a result, tend to be more careful than most, especially since I'm female and single. front desk has coverage 24/7, but anyone with a pizza box can enter building without question. I also had some guy walk into my apt one day- when I called out, he went to the elevators. I asked wwu and he said he had the wrong apt. i now ALWAYS remember to lock my door behind me. the place is advertised as luxury, but since it's a big dorm, there's really not much luxury unless you're in the lobby. I pay $1300+/month but that includes indoor parking. utilities are included in rent, but they just installed meters in each apt, so I figure I'll be paying for that in 2014.
if you don't mind living in a dorm, close to a kinda depressing neighborhood, then sure, move on in. just a warning; management changed in 2013 and installed the meters - no telling what changes they have in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh