Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 12:02 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairnave View Post
Thank you so much guys, for the great advice. Reason i am not thinking about north suburbs right now is because my wife is interviewing with a company near cannonsburg. If that works out then we definitely have to stay within commuting distance of both cities. However that is still in the air and our options might open up !

At the risk of sounding prude, are there areas I should definitely avoid ? Now I didn't grow up rich and have stayed in my share of govt. subsidized housing/very very poor neighborhoods - but I am not sure if I want to bring up my kids there, especially if I can (by luck/grace of God/etc.) afford not to .

N
to be fair for you and your wife I'd look int mt lebo, bether park, upper st clair and even peters township. excellent schools. Now i don;t know what u can find in terms of rental in these last suburbs. I know in mt lebanon but not there.

You can drive to s. hills village mall (it is the end of the trolley line there) park - it is a covered garage very safe etc. and drive into town. You can drive there even if you live somewhere south. I for instance live in Mt Lebanon and I worked in Canonsburg about 10 years ago and now I work downtown and take the T. Mt lebabon is exactly in the middle: 12 miles to downtown, 12 miles to Canonsburgh.

Anyway, the commute won;t be bad for any of you if live in these municipalities.

Also, since somebody mention Cranberry or the north part of the city it is worth to inform you that yes, you can drive to station square and yes your wife can drive to canonsburgh (79S) but is it worth it? Your wife will be looking at a least 1 hr of commute each way and for you about 30-40 min.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 12:49 PM

270 posts, read 340,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
to be fair for you and your wife I'd look int mt lebo, bether park, upper st clair and even peters township. excellent schools. Now i don;t know what u can find in terms of rental in these last suburbs. I know in mt lebanon but not there.

You can drive to s. hills village mall (it is the end of the trolley line there) park - it is a covered garage very safe etc. and drive into town. You can drive there even if you live somewhere south. I for instance live in Mt Lebanon and I worked in Canonsburg about 10 years ago and now I work downtown and take the T. Mt lebabon is exactly in the middle: 12 miles to downtown, 12 miles to Canonsburgh.

Anyway, the commute won;t be bad for any of you if live in these municipalities.

Also, since somebody mention Cranberry or the north part of the city it is worth to inform you that yes, you can drive to station square and yes your wife can drive to canonsburgh (79S) but is it worth it? Your wife will be looking at a least 1 hr of commute each way and for you about 30-40 min.

I second this. With those 2 commutes Mt Lebanon, Upper St Clair and Peters Township are your best bet. South Fayette also. You want to be close to Rt. 19, or I-79, or both. Peters is closest to Canonsburg, Mt Lebanon is closest to the city, USC and South Fayette can be convenient to both depending on exact location. Of the suburbs mentioned Mt. Lebanon is the only one that has an "urban" feel to it, the rest are very suburban in feel.

All of the areas mentioned above have very low crime and are very safe.

Last edited by Garvdog; 09-20-2012 at 01:18 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 12:54 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Thanks !! How does commuting on the light rail work in the city ? Are there "park-n-rides" I can use... Is it safe to leave the car in these through the day ? I am not too familiar with with big cities, having lived in a tiny blink-n-u-miss-it university town all this time.

N
Park and Rides are all in very safe areas. I use the T on almost a daily basis and its a great rail system. I think Bethel Park would be your best option. Its a very safe area, great schools, walkable neighborhoods, and the T goes directly through Bethel. Everything you would want.
Good Luck with your decision!

Old 09-22-2012, 06:24 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
Where we live in Bridgeville, there is a park and ride at the end of our street. I havent taken it yet, but the parking lot seems very safe and buses come pretty often.
Schools are very good. We moved in the summer and our kids are so happy in their school.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:54 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
While it's a nice place to live, the Bridgeville Park & Ride is for a bus that does not stop at Station Square and one would have to transfer downtown.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:15 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
While it's a nice place to live, the Bridgeville Park & Ride is for a bus that does not stop at Station Square and one would have to transfer downtown.
Didnt know that. Thanks for mentioning it.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:19 PM

10 posts, read 15,106 times
guys.. .
Thank you so much. You guys are amazingly helpful... Hopefully the rest of Pittsburgh is equally nice !!!

I have found an apartment in South Park. Can anyone rate that area with respect to Bethel Park, Mt. Lebanon etc ?

Thank you so much guys,
N.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:58 PM

10 posts, read 15,106 times
Also, I am looking at places in Oakland .. from google maps, it looks like a 30 min commute to canonsburg and a 20-30 min to station square. not sure about the livability of the place though.

Any comments would be more than welcome.

thanks
Naveen

Old 09-23-2012, 07:54 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
guys.. .
Thank you so much. You guys are amazingly helpful... Hopefully the rest of Pittsburgh is equally nice !!!

I have found an apartment in South Park. Can anyone rate that area with respect to Bethel Park, Mt. Lebanon etc ?

Thank you so much guys,
N.
I spent a decent portion of my life in South Park. What aspects would you like an opinion on? Schools, houses, areas within SP, etc

Also, I would not suggest looking for an apartment in Oakland. It is at least an hour to Canonsburg from there and its the home of the University of Pittsburgh and unless you're a college student, I wouldn't think you'd want to live there.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:36 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
south park is a bit far away to both, Canonsburgh and Station square, especially that now there's construction on broughton rd.
You'll see what I mean when u move in. well, driving from south park to douth hills villagae parking garage is not that bad. it's gonna be probably 20 min to the garage and then another 40-45 on the T.
For your wife is going to be more difficult because she needs to get on 19S and if she takes Boruhton->Fort Couch Rd, that's a *****, right there. SOuth on 19 is fine. Come Christmas you'll be stuck in traffic at the mall for horrendous amount of time.
I urge you to find back roads, if they exist; to avoid S hills mall at all cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh