Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm not husking them for you.
Damn straight. I think there are some creative ways of husking out there. Ever heard of running them over with a car? I swear I've seen that discussed somewhere....

Pretty funny. There was one tree between our yard and a neighbor's at the house where I grew up. We never tried to use the things that I know of. I can still remember (and don't really care for) the smell of these green things.

Nice of you to offer them up instead of just letting 'em rot. Clearly someone (or multiple someones) out there will do the husking to get free black walnuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
Hi Hopes, I would love a crate of walnuts...I like to string them for decorations and have been looking for a tree here in Pittsburgh. Lots of work, but very pretty!
Are you sure you want black walnuts? They're not pretty like regular walnuts. And they are incredibly hard. Hard as rocks, maybe harder. I can't imagine being able to string them, unless you plan to use an electric drill and even then it might be a challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Damn straight. I think there are some creative ways of husking out there. Ever heard of running them over with a car? I swear I've seen that discussed somewhere....
I've heard of it. I imagine a large percentage of them survive being run over by a car. Plus, how sanitary is that for the ones that do open? LOL

I've watched my husband use a chisek and mallet. But the terrible part is peeling that husk away before you get to the walnut to crack. It stains your clothes and skin.

We really need one of these machines:

No wonder black walnuts are so expensive!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:54 PM

461 posts, read 748,644 times
Yep, I've laboriously peeled many black walnuts; even though they are not pretty, I hate to see them go to waste. If yours are claimed, I spotted a tree on East Street today and can gather some there.

e

Old 09-26-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
Yep, I've laboriously peeled many black walnuts; even though they are not pretty, I hate to see them go to waste. If yours are claimed, I spotted a tree on East Street today and can gather some there.
You're welcome to them. I'll be able to distribute them next week.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:49 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopes View Post
i'll give them away free. I already have two milk crates full and most of them are still on the tree. By the end of this season, i definitely have a lot of black walnuts. I don't want to be bothered with giving away a handful. Take at least two crates worth. I'm not husking them for you. If you know anything about black walnuts, you'll know that's a pita. Aside from husking a couple handfuls for one batch of brownies, we throw the rest away every year.

yes!

Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
yes!
It will be easy for me to get them to you! I'm in Mt Troy a few days a week!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,708 times
Sorry, this fell off my radar. If you still have some I can pick up a bucket/bushel/whatever.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:58 AM

I was just thinking about this last night when I was falling asleep! I need to see how many are left. I know a neighbor came and took two crates. Gotta see what hubby has done with them. I can drop some off when I'm in McMurray on Monday & Wednesday next week. I can also get some to Q-tip when I'm in Troy Hill three days next week too. No idea where ebyrnes lives but we can work something out.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:39 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,400,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Ha! As I suspected! NOBODY wants Black Walnuts! Every Fall, I wonder why we haven't cut down this tree! LOL
Hopes - nope, don't want your walnuts from all the way out here on the left coast, but I wanted to let you know just in case you didn't, that the wood from the black walnut tree is very, very valuable.

I heard a story once, where a tree cutter offered to remove someone's nuisance black walnut tree for 'free!' and he would even haul the wood away too. Little did the homeowner know, but the wood from the tree could have been sold for $10k or $20k. However, I believe it depends on the age, size, and amount of burl.

Given the ridiculously low prices of Pittsburgh real estate, one of these black walnut trees might factor into the value of the entire property. You might disclose that when selling, but don't let the tax assessor know about it!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 PM

We know what black walnut trees are worth. Hubby planted hundreds of them 30 years ago on our other property as a retirement investment. A single, lonely black walnut tree isn't worth as much though, especially this one since it grew fastest due to not having competition, it's well past it's prime.

ETA: About giving out walnuts. I have two milk crates full left. That's all. Are you all still in? Should I divide what I have into thirds?

Last edited by Hopes; 10-28-2012 at 09:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh