Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
This forum is interesting, since I always wondered how people who did not grow up in these neighborhoods view the people that do. I grew up on the hill (74-08) and was almost robbed once and he was not from the hill and he got beat up pretty badly. My experiences of the Hill were quite different than what I'm reading here. the gangs that many of you are referring to were nothing but group of hustlers that made up a name to sound "hard". A perfect example would be the Whiteside Rd projects (torn down and rebuilt into nice housing) which everyone called "Weedside Rd" because it was easy to find weed there among other things. The Hill as a whole was considered to be a free enterprise neighborhood meaning you could set up shop pretty much anywhere (proably except Uptown and Sugartop later on) and no one would care. In the 80's the city was broken down into specific colors mainly based on the schools that the kids went to and natural neighborhood rivalries. Half of the kids on the Hill went to Schenley (red/black) which they fueled with Hazelwood which took the colors of blue (crips). East Hills kids at one time were bused to Schenley (bloods). Homewood mostly went to Westinghouse (blue/crips) which was the predominate black school in the city which was Schenley's natural rival. Lincoln Larimer which was the LAW was black and I was not familiar with them except that they did not care for anyone. Northside which had numerous small and large gangs fought each other Perry (blue) and Oliver were also rivals. When Woodland Hills took in the kids from the surrounding schools they also form loose knit gangs.
I have butted head with you a few times, but to be quite honest, I think you are hitting the nail on the head here. Been around all these areas and I don't think there is much "gang" anything around here. Sure the street fights and a few drug turf crap stuff, but NOTHING like real gang LA crap. I don't think there is any gang that is strong at all. Heck most HS football teams could take them out.

Good post. I think you need to post more about these areas. Not much really going on out there gang related at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,315,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have butted head with you a few times, but to be quite honest, I think you are hitting the nail on the head here. Been around all these areas and I don't think there is much "gang" anything around here. Sure the street fights and a few drug turf crap stuff, but NOTHING like real gang LA crap. I don't think there is any gang that is strong at all. Heck most HS football teams could take them out.

Good post. I think you need to post more about these areas. Not much really going on out there gang related at all.

Thanks, I can only speak for most of the Hill since I grew up there and frequent it often, but after visiting L.A I realize Pittsburgh does not have a gang probelm compared to other large cities. Pittsburgh may have more of a job problem then anything.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:09 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,769 times
Quote:

First off you can not have a very relevant comparison of gang activity when you compare Pittsburgh to L.A. IMO. For one LA is much bigger, therefore its hoods are bigger, plus there are more of them... Although another thing yal need to keep in mind is that LA is in it's 5th era of Blood, Crip, MS-13, & Mexican Mafia gang life styles (meaning they've been around for over four decades) Same with Chi-Town's old original gangs such as the: Black Gangsta Disciples, Manic Latin Disiples, Folks, Mickey Cobraz, Vice Lords, Black P.Stone Rangers, Latin Kings, Peoples, etc... Now if you find another similar sized City that had the Bloods and the Crips introduced from 88-93 then it can be a relevant comparison to how bad Pittsburgh's gang issue is.

Pittsburgh does has a gang problem and we've had it for a number of years... 40% of the area's killings are gang related, and most victims are young black men who've been arrested before, and were the intended victims due to some sort of relation... Just look at all the shootings that have happened in Homewood, Hazelwood, Wilkinsburg, McKeesport, and Homestead this summer. And you say "Not much really going on out there gang related at all" ...

If you're not/were never a youth from the hood or someone who has connections to the hood you would not know whats going on in the streets of Allegheny County in 2012. It has always been very deep seeded. For example there are neighborhood holidays like Silkyy Man Day in the Northside Projects or E-Skee Day in the East Hills Apartments celebrating the lives of dead gang bangers. And if you grow up in Upper Manchester,and are known as someone from Manchester then you can not go to Northview, the Charles Street Valley or California-Kirkbride without trouble. If you group up in Homewood you can not go in to most areas majority black areas with out trouble. And there are too many hypothetical examples of neighborhood gang rivalries to continue... If you are an inner city black boy from a rough gang affiliated neighborhood besides the Hill or the Greenway Park Apartments and if you don't at least befriend the some of similar aged gang members in your neighborhood you have no security in your own neighborhood! Then when gangsters from other neighborhoods try to fight you, then you might get beat up because you're from a hood that you don't even claim (in the gang sense).
You want an example of this ride on the 74D on a summer day and see with your own eyes the relation between street gangs from rival neighborhoods, and/or the relationship between inner city kids who are not gang affiliated vs gang affiliated kids from a rival hood.

Though I'll admit when you do compare it to LA, Pittsburgh's problems are trivial! I understand that gangs claim turf in the areas highlighted in the map, but only control a couple of hang outs and dope spots. Also in LA Bloods beef with Crips no matter what & they play a gangster game of cat and mouse where they "duck" in each other's hoods. In Pittsburgh Bloods don't like Crips no matter what, but only feud with each other if beef is established with in the two sets (in LA Crip vs Crip relation is this way), otherwise they'll just keep the distance from each other. Unlike in LA Pittsburgh gangs don't "duck" in each other's hoods very often. Another difference is that feuds aren't 24/7, but they often get reactivated. I know we're not as bad as LA or the current murder capitol of North America aka Chicago, but over here street gangs are not a joke.

I'd like to see a HS Football team go to Northview Heights any day. Now the indictments of 26 leaders of the Souljaz of Everybody Crips did not seriously suppress the numbers of gang members in at least Northview. My take on it is that because some of those guys where killaz and ran the gang with relatively organised, strict discipline some people didn't want to join... Now that they're gone it seems like lots of kids are getting jumped in.
Yet numbers don't matter the gangs wouldn't have to fight the football teams because they all have a cache of automatic firearms which they've been using to shoot at each other for a long time.

Last edited by Uptown kid; 10-03-2012 at 06:45 PM..

Old 10-03-2012, 06:47 PM

Here's a list of consistannt violent fueds that often get rekindled:
Smash Gang Darccide Crips VS. South Zhoove Crips
UpTown North View Heights/Fineview Crips/1728 Down Bottom Brighton Place Crips VS. Manchester Original Gangstaz
UpTown North View Heights/Fineview Crips/1728 Down Bottom Brighton Place Crips VS. UpTop Snapville Wilson Avenue Gangstaz
UpTown North View Heights/Fineview Crips/1728 Down Bottom Brighton Place Crips VS. HoodTown Mafia
North Charles Street Crips VS. Manchester Original Gangstaz
North Charles Street Crips VS. Perrysville & Charles Street Valley Tre Eights
North Charles Street Crips VS. UpTop Snapville Wilson Avenue Gangstaz
Manchester Original Gangstaz VS. HoodTown Mafia
UpTop Snapville Wilson Avenue Gangstaz VS. Perrysville & Charles Street Valley Tre Eights
UpTop Snapville Wilson Avenue Gangstaz VS. HoodTown Mafia
Greenway Block Killaz VS. 26 Smell Block Gang
UpTown Homewood Crips VS. 211 Dallas-Inwood Boyz
UpTown Homewood Crips VS. 581 Hilltop Mohler Project Crips
DownTown Homewood Crips VS. UpTown Homewood Crips
DownTown Homewood Crips VS. 211 Dallas-Inwood Boyz
DownTown Homewood Crips VS. 581 Hilltop Mohler Project Crips
Lincoln Avenue Crips VS. UpTown Homewood Crips
Lincoln Avenue Crips VS. DownTown Homewood Crips
Lincoln Avenue Crips VS. 211 Dallas-Inwood Boyz
Lincoln Avenue Crips VS. 581 Hilltop Molher Project Crips

East Hills Bloods VS. UpTown Homewood Crips
East Hills Bloods VS. DownTown Homewood Crips
East Hills Bloods VS. 211 Dallas-Inwood Boyz
East Hills Bloods VS. 581 Hilltop Molher Project Crips
Larimer Avenue Hoods VS. Lincoln Ave Crips
Larimer Avenue Hoods VS. Garfield Bloods
UpTop Trillside Hoods VS. UpTop Trillside Hoods
J-Town Hoods VS. UpTop Trillside Hoods
J-Town Hoods VS. East Hills Bloods
J-Town Hoods VS. DownTown Homewood Crips
J-Town Hoods VS. UpTown Homewood Crips
UpTop Westside Homestead Crips VS. Homestead Eastcide Mafia Crips
UpTop Westside Homestead Crips VS. Hazelwood Crips

The Hill District's Bloods VS. UpTown Homewood Crips
The Hill District's Bloods VS. DownTown Homewood Crips
The Hill District's Bloods VS. 211 Dallas-Inwood Boyz
Guttacide Braddocc Crips VS. UpTop Trillside Hoods
UpTown 1200 Blocc Kirk Patricc Avenue Bradocc Crips VS. Guttacide Braddocc Crips
Whit Life 145 Trap Boy Crips VS. UpTop Westcide Homestead Crips
Duke City Crips
VS. Duke City Bloods
McKee City Bloods VS. Crawford Village Crips

Last edited by Uptown kid; 10-03-2012 at 07:03 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 03:03 PM
gg

Not buying it uptown. Just because there are drug turf wars doesn't mean there are organized "gangs" in our region. I think you have more wannabe's than anything around there. Pittsburgh people won't put up with that crap. Even really organized gangs like the Pagan's are pretty much underground and their numbers are down. I still wouldn't mess with that bunch, but they are a much sharper and organized unit than what you are describing. Pittsburgh has about nothing to worry about gang wise. Just lots of wannabe types.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Not buying it uptown. Just because there are drug turf wars doesn't mean there are organized "gangs" in our region. I think you have more wannabe's than anything around there. Pittsburgh people won't put up with that crap. Even really organized gangs like the Pagan's are pretty much underground and their numbers are down. I still wouldn't mess with that bunch, but they are a much sharper and organized unit than what you are describing. Pittsburgh has about nothing to worry about gang wise. Just lots of wannabe types.
True there aren't any well-organized gangs like what you would see on Gangland, there is not a central authority of the Independent gangs “who rep the black flag” or Bloods like there is for the: Gangster Disciples, Brim Blood Association, United Blood Nation, La Gran Famila, La Gran Raza or Mexican Mafia in other cities, although there is a basic chain of commands & a set of rules that all street gangs fallow so it’s not a total melee like you might think. Though I beg to differ that most are not wannabe's!!!

The Bloods and Crips gangs of Pittsburgh have been around for longer than the one's in New York, Jersey, Philly, Baltimore, etc, and all of them are original unlike the sets & gangs in the City's mentioned above… There are no Rollin' 60's Crips, Grape Street Crips, Hoover Criminals, Bounty Hunter Bloods, Brims or Pirus which would be considered copy cats or wannabees of the original ones in California. Also, the gangs here are violent too, though it just doesn't affect people outside of certain communities. Certain communities half to deal with the cycle where young men who had potential join gangs, and end up getting violently gunned down and then are called to do the body every year: Violence escalates as boy, 14, is slain in Larimer - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette , Violence wracks family again: 19-year-old killed, mother shot in Perry South - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette , Death of body found in Wilkinsburg ruled a homicide - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette , Police say man shot dead for relieving himself off balcony - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette , Homewood street lives with fear of gang war - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette , Video: Tour Inside Gang Neighborhoods Of Pittsburgh, PA (Including East Hill Bloods, Hilltop 581 Crips & Dallas Ave Crips With Even 11-Year-Olds Joining In) [31 Min Documentary] , Video: Pittsburgh Rapper Now In Jail After Dropping This Music Video With Room Full Of Guns!

True the Pittsburgh Metro in general doesn't anything to worry about street gangs, but neighborhoods like: Homewood, most of Hazelwood, most of the Hill, most Lincoln, Larimer, the East Hills Apartments, Knoxville, Beltzhoover, Greenway Park Apartments, the McKees Rocks Projects, most of the westside of Sheraden, the Northview Heights Projects, Allegheny Dwellings Projects, the Three Rivers Manor Apartments, the Charles Street Valley, parts of Perry Hilltop, Central McKeesport, most of Duquesne, Homestead, Braddock, part of North Braddock, the Hawkins Village Projects, the Mon View Heights Projects, the Soltis Drive Century Town-Homes in Clairton, parts of Aliquippa, Downtown New Kensington and Central Wilkinsburg do... Pittsburgh’s gangs may not be like the ones you see in gangland, but they are real (this disbelief/denial of street gangs type of thinking put the police on their ass’s in the early 90’s).

Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
True there aren't any well-organized gangs like what you would see on Gangland, there is not a central authority of the Independent gangs “who rep the black flag” or Bloods like there is for the: Gangster Disciples, Brim Blood Association, United Blood Nation, La Gran Famila, La Gran Raza or Mexican Mafia in other cities, although there is a basic chain of commands & a set of rules that all street gangs fallow so it’s not a total melee like you might think. Though I beg to differ that most are not wannabe's!!!

The Bloods and Crips gangs of Pittsburgh have been around for longer than the one's in New York, Jersey, Philly, Baltimore, etc, and all of them are original unlike the sets & gangs in the City's mentioned above… There are no Rollin' 60's Crips, Grape Street Crips, Hoover Criminals, Bounty Hunter Bloods, Brims or Pirus which would be considered copy cats or wannabees of the original ones in California. Also, the gangs here are violent too, though it just doesn't affect people outside of certain communities. Certain communities half to deal with the cycle where young men who had potential join gangs, and end up getting violently gunned down and then are called to do the body every year: Violence escalates as boy, 14, is slain in Larimer - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette , Violence wracks family again: 19-year-old killed, mother shot in Perry South - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette , Death of body found in Wilkinsburg ruled a homicide - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette , Police say man shot dead for relieving himself off balcony - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette , Homewood street lives with fear of gang war - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette , Video: Tour Inside Gang Neighborhoods Of Pittsburgh, PA (Including East Hill Bloods, Hilltop 581 Crips & Dallas Ave Crips With Even 11-Year-Olds Joining In) [31 Min Documentary] , Video: Pittsburgh Rapper Now In Jail After Dropping This Music Video With Room Full Of Guns!

True the Pittsburgh Metro in general doesn't anything to worry about street gangs, but neighborhoods like: Homewood, most of Hazelwood, most of the Hill, most Lincoln, Larimer, the East Hills Apartments, Knoxville, Beltzhoover, Greenway Park Apartments, the McKees Rocks Projects, most of the westside of Sheraden, the Northview Heights Projects, Allegheny Dwellings Projects, the Three Rivers Manor Apartments, the Charles Street Valley, parts of Perry Hilltop, Central McKeesport, most of Duquesne, Homestead, Braddock, part of North Braddock, the Hawkins Village Projects, the Mon View Heights Projects, the Soltis Drive Century Town-Homes in Clairton, parts of Aliquippa, Downtown New Kensington and Central Wilkinsburg do... Pittsburgh’s gangs may not be like the ones you see in gangland, but they are real (this disbelief/denial of street gangs type of thinking put the police on their ass’s in the early 90’s).

I cannot argue with you regrading the other neighborhoods but the only thing that I have seen that even remotely resembles a gang is those kids on sugartop and they are not a factor in controlling anything. The Hill has been fighting against Homewood since I move here in 74'. I can remember in the early 80s when 2001 the club was open and Northside was fighting against everyone else in the city.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:17 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
True .
Glad you agree. The media and police want us to live in fear so they can hire more police and have a bigger bother. Stop falling for the hype.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Glad you agree. The media and police want us to live in fear so they can hire more police and have a bigger bother. Stop falling for the hype.
That sounds about right to me as well.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That sounds about right to me as well.
Look what happened when that nutcase with a gun ran around Pitt. Then Pitt hires 20 MORE officers? Goodness!!! They will use whatever they can to get the edge. So 20 officers times how much for salary per officer? $30K? $40K? No problem. Where do we sign the check? How much more tax? All a joke, but people fall for it. Easy sale. Fear is as easy as it gets. Look at the GOP. That runs on fear alone. Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh