Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:54 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,352,616 times

Advertisements

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...04538,0.104628

If anybody finds interest in this I created a map of all the gang affiliated areas that I'm aware of and areas with notable quarrelsome hybrid gangs. If you want to know more about these types of things I guessing you can always visit a police station if their not busy and they have events like they did this summer available to the general public. If you are in disbelief of activity in a certian area we can converse about that on this thread as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,562,954 times
I don't disagree about a "hybrid gang" in east liberty, but I think you have some blocks wrong and are missing some in Highland Park (near Sandy's deli, for instance). For example, I know for a fact that there aren't gangbangers or drug dealers on the 700 blocks of St Clair, Euclid or Beatty. If there are, they sit in their apartment and play videogames and don't go outside much. There are some lower level drug dealers that live on blocks closer to ELB, but fortunately, that area is cleaning up. Just not fast enough. A lot of their landlords are going into foreclosure and the banks / sheriffs are kicking them out (which is what happened on the 700 blocks) and those houses are being rehabbed and flipped to yuppies for 300k.

My question do you think these people will go in the next 5 years? For every crack house/trap house or gangster living with his girlfriend or grandma, there are 3 houses being renovated in the area. They aren't going to join regular society, so they'll likely move elsewhere. Which area do you think it'll be?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 PM

If they go anywhere I'm guessing it'll be Penn Hills and Garfield Commons will also be fair game. I'll revise the hybrid gang parts as well.

The thing about East Lib is that as long as the City keeps razing housing projects and relocating the residents it will not get better. Only approximitly half the people from Addison Terrace/Reed Roberts Manor/Dwindle Street decided to stay in the Hill. I'm guessing a lot of them moved to the Fairfield & New Pennly Place Apartments; this could have some bad effects, but we'll see how it plays out.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:31 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,562,954 times
...but Fairfield and New Pennly Place are all full as far as I've heard. j

Old 09-25-2012, 08:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,196,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
If they go anywhere I'm guessing it'll be Penn Hills and Garfield Commons will also be fair game. I'll revise the hybrid gang parts as well

The thing about East Lib is that as long as the city keeps razing housing projects and relocating the residents it will not get better. Only approximitly half the people from Addison Terrace/Reed Roberts Manor/Dwindle Street decided to stay in the Hill. I'm guessing a lot of them moved to the Fairfield & New Pennly Place Apartments; this could have some bad effects, but we'll see how it plays out

A lot of the former residents of housing projects have headed out to the South Hills, Carrick, Baldwin, Brentwood, etc. There are several aging apartment complexes out that way that could easily attract more housing project folk as they become less desirable to working people.

It isn't like the bad actors being displaced on the hill have to worry about staying real close to their place of employment.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
...but Fairfield and New Pennly Place are all full as far as I've heard. j
Well your probably correct, but that's good nevermind my theory.

[QOUTE]A lot of the former residents of housing projects have headed out to the South Hills, Carrick, Baldwin, Brentwood, etc. There are several aging apartment complexes out that way that could easily attract more housing project folk as they become less desirable to working people.

It isn't like the bad actors being displaced on the hill have to worry about staying real close to their place of employment.[/quote]

If they get moved to rival neighborhoods their'd be a problem. And I know they didn't move to Brentwood since there has been any incidents reported on the news. I'm guessing the Prospect Park, Leland Ponte, and Parkford Apartments were big target areas then.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:59 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,196,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Well your probably correct, but that's good nevermind my theory.

If they get moved to rival neighborhoods their'd be a problem. And I know they didn't move to Brentwood since there has been any incidents reported on the news. I'm guessing the Prospect Park, Leland Ponte, and Parkford Apartments were big target areas then.

How about the former Greenlee Village apartments, off Greenlee Rd above where the Texaco and Arby's were on 51?

Those apartments are in Brentwood, and were a bit dingy when I lived there in the 1980's? They look like the projects.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
How about the former Greenlee Village apartments, off Greenlee Rd above where the Texaco and Arby's were on 51?
It's probably a receiver of former Hill residents as well... These are all assumptions though.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:32 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,861,447 times
If I were black (particularly a low-income black person), Brentwood would be the dead last place I would pick to live. Lincoln Place would come close though.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If I were black (particularly a low-income black person), Brentwood would be the dead last place I would pick to live. Lincoln Place would come close though.
Agreed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh