Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 12:56 PM

62 posts, read 80,338 times

Advertisements

Hi! I found a rental listed on craigslist on Brighton Road. I've tried responding to the ad twice and no one has gotten back to me. I would guess they would respond with something if it was a scam, but no response whatsoever.

It is for 3644 Brighton Road. Does anyone drive by there and know whether or not their is a For Rent sign out front with a number on it? I'm from out of town and would like to see it when I visit in a few weeks if it is for rent.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Listing: 3644 Brighton Rd Pittsburgh PA 15212 - $1,000/mo Apartment on Walk Score
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 10:25 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
I know that place, it's a beautiful house from the outside. Warning, the nextdoor neighbors appear to have some issues with clutter/junk on their property and property upkeep. That in no way means that they are unsavory people just giving you a heads-up. But that section of Brighton is in the Brighton Heights area, which is IMO one of the greatest Pittsburgh neighborhoods. If I see a rent sign up i'll post back.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the info! I have since found out that it was a scam and the house is actually just for sale, not for rent. I was very disappointed to hear this! I am looking in that area for a rental, so I'd love any info if you see any houses in that area for rent! Thanks so much!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:15 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitale22 View Post
Thanks for the info! I have since found out that it was a scam and the house is actually just for sale, not for rent.
What is the scam?

Googling the address clearly showed it for sale... except for that odd site that you posted.
3644 Brighton Road Brighton Heights, PA 15212 - Real Estate | CENTURY 21

If anything, that one website was incorrect.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:19 PM

There are people that take the pictures from the for sale listing and post the house for rent on craigslist. When you inquire about the house they email you back asking for personal information. I know better than to send personal information, but wasn't getting even that response back from this listing, so I inquired here. I have since found out it was for sale, not for rent, but there are many, many of the same type of scam listings on craiglist.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
if i were you I'd shoot an email to the realtor who sells that house. Her name and email should be on the listing. Ask if the owners might consider renting it? Maybe they are, maybe that's why you saw the ad on craiglslist.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 AM

I did just that, thank you! This home is not for rent, but I did find another that is by emailing the realtor. The listing on craigslist was actually a scam though, so that is something others need to watch our for as well!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitale22 View Post
There are people that take the pictures from the for sale listing and post the house for rent on craigslist. When you inquire about the house they email you back asking for personal information. I know better than to send personal information, but wasn't getting even that response back from this listing, so I inquired here. I have since found out it was for sale, not for rent, but there are many, many of the same type of scam listings on craiglist.
Yes, this is a booming problem, especially in areas where rentals are high demand from outsiders. The scam usually follows the same pattern. The "renter" will claim to be out of town or living abroad and will want ask you to send them a first months rent or a security deposit via Western Union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh