Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:20 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

Headlines today are talking about a month over month increase in the local unemployment rate, although it remains well below the state/national rate:

Pittsburgh-area jobless rate jumped in August to 7.3% | TribLIVE

Here is some "analysis" in that article:

Quote:
“We saw continued improvement through the first quarter this year and now we’ve given all that back,” said Kurt Rankin, a regional economist with PNC Financial Services Group Inc. . . . Rankin said Pittsburgh exhausted its ability to generate stronger jobs growth on its own and needs a healthier national economy to boost jobs.
I think it is important to note that is pretty misleading. You can get the full report here:

Monthly News Releases

What actually happened is that strong job growth continued in the region--it varies a bit month to month, and depending on which of the two surveys you are looking at, and from sector to sector, but overall we are continuing along at a very robust pace. The reason the unemployment rate has come back up a bit is mostly just that we are also still getting very large increases in the labor force, and even though most of those people are getting employed, there is a small remaining gap between the new employment count and new labor force count that is keeping our unemployment rate elevated. And if I had to guess, the reason for the slight increase in the unemployment rate over the summer has more to do with gradually increasing labor mobility as other places slowly and painfully work out of their housing-bust cycle, such that slightly more jobseekers are now able to relocate to this region (supporting evidence for this hypothesis would including continued robust home sales and low rental vacancy rates).

And it is a good bet this same basic dynamic is likely to continue until there is a convergence between the local and state/national unemployment rates. In that sense, it is true the local unemployment rate is only likely to return to normal levels if the state/national level normalizes as well. But that isn't because of lack of local job growth, but rather because we will be continuing to attract jobseekers at unusually high rates until such a convergence occurs, and it may well be the case that the rate of in-migration of jobseekers is actually going to accelerate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:52 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Excellent analysis, BrianTH, as always. I'm inclined to agree with you. During times of economic uncertainty those who are unemployed or unederemployed will migrate in large numbers to areas where the local economic picture is robust (or at least not as bleak as where they are currently residing). Greater Pittsburgh has undoubtedly been growing in terms of population for the past several years, and that growth has finally caught up to the number of job vacancies. I just don't want us to see the same thing happen here that Portland, OR experienced---the influx of young job-seeking migrants continued, even as the city's unemployment rate was rising---and now the place is a rather expensive haven for the unemployed/underemployed.

P.S. If anyone is looking for a job I just put in my two-week's notice at my second job, which will free up another position in the East End!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 PM

For now, I suspect most people moving here either have a job secured already, or have very realistic prospects of quickly getting a job. So I don't think that Portland scenario is happening as yet.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
I hope I'll find something in accounting here next year. I have an interview with PWC for a WMTS internship over the winter so I hope that gives me some ability to have more opportunity after the internship is done if I get it.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I have an interview with PWC for a WMTS internship over the winter so I hope that gives me some ability to have more opportunity after the internship is done if I get it.
Youngsters using initials for anything can't be taken seriously by intelligent people who make up the majority of the Pittsburgh forum.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:38 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Youngsters using initials for anything can't be taken seriously by intelligent people who make up the majority of the Pittsburgh forum.
PwC = PricewaterhouseCoopers, which is one of the "Big 4" accounting firms.

WMTS = Specialized Tax Accounting Area

Old 10-03-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
PwC = PricewaterhouseCoopers, which is one of the "Big 4" accounting firms.

WMTS = Specialized Tax Accounting Area
Thank you very much. PricewaterhouseCoopers starting using PWC as its official name in 2010 and the online application used the term WMTS.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:20 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
There are dramatically fewer IT jobs being advertised now than there were at the beginning of the year. I wasn't paying close enough attention to see when the 'turn' happened, but I looked on Dice and Monster recently and was surprised by the difference.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:08 AM

I definitely make a point of always writing out National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus, and RAdio Detection And Ranging. I wouldn't want to be thought unintelligent.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
There are dramatically fewer IT jobs being advertised now than there were at the beginning of the year. I wasn't paying close enough attention to see when the 'turn' happened, but I looked on Dice and Monster recently and was surprised by the difference.
I'm not sure about you now because you put IT instead of information technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh