Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:54 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
From this story we can probably assume that some teenagers are violent regardless of where they live: Venango boy, 13, charged with weekend killings of grandparents - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Good try. Random violence against innocent people just walking down the street that is the new inner-city craze and some domestic shooting within a family are not the same thing.

Lets face it, there is always going to be problems in the city and your guard has to be up very high. In the suburbs the only guard you need is against cars/suvs/empty pickups.

It is sad there is some new craze going on that will no doubt be on the news more often and fuel it. Best to be in groups walking in the city. I mean this kid did this in the middle of the day with people around, so no one cares. Also, you can see by the response of all his friends he is now some hero to them. Sure is odd stuff. Hope the teacher fully recovers, but he will no doubt have mental scares for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 09:13 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Good try. Random violence against innocent people just walking down the street that is the new inner-city craze and some domestic shooting within a family are not the same thing.
They are most certainly not the same thing. One of them is really rare and one of them is very common. Take murder, for example. Most murder victims knew their murderer. Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Gender

Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
The one thing the city has going for it that may decrease safety is that there are more people around who may be violent. But at the same time, more people around means there are more witnesses, more people to help, faster response from law enforcement, etc.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 AM
gg

I wish this guy was in that alley. Might have been a game changer. Glad the guy in Florida wasn't charged. Sadly he might be charged in this case if he would have taken care of business.

71-year-old man shooting 2 robbers at Internet cafe in central Florida - YouTube

Old 10-10-2012, 09:38 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
Quote:
I wish this guy was in that alley. Might have been a game changer. Glad the guy in Florida wasn't charged. Sadly he might be charged in this case if he would have taken care of business.
If someone in the alley had pulled out a gun and started shooting they absolutely should be charged. It would in no way be a proportionate response to the assault witnessed in the video. The fifteen year old wasn't armed and threw a single sucker punch before relatively quickly leaving the scene and not menacing additional people.

Curtis, I've noticed a theme throughout many of your posts. You are often easily scared or worried by things, whether it's a bike theft or the prospect of higher taxes. This produces a disproportionate response within you that leads to the broad-based mockery of the positions that your emotions require you to take. It's something to think about...perhaps seek counseling? Being easily scared is no way to go through life.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:49 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
If someone in the alley had pulled out a gun and started shooting they absolutely should be charged. It would in no way be a proportionate response to the assault witnessed in the video. The fifteen year old wasn't armed and threw a single sucker punch before relatively quickly leaving the scene and not menacing additional people.

Curtis, I've noticed a theme throughout many of your posts. You are often easily scared or worried by things, whether it's a bike theft or the prospect of higher taxes. This produces a disproportionate response within you that leads to the broad-based mockery of the positions that your emotions require you to take. It's something to think about...perhaps seek counseling? Being easily scared is no way to go through life.
What would make you think a cyclist like myself is "scared"? That is a bit of an oxymoron don't you think? It is quite obvious anyone that rides a bike all over the city in all neighborhoods would be the least scared of all people in the city except for maybe the people who walk all over the city without a car in the parking lot. Both of us are rare and obviously much less fearful than those driving in a box of metal for their protection. You may want to rethink your odd little theory, but it was a funny try to provoke as you like to do.

1. There is a new trend going on, which wasn't pointed out by myself, but someone else.
2. People should have their guard up if you are walking around the city.
3. I didn't start this thread, nor did I post links to this possible new fun things for teens to do.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
Quote:
What would make you think a cyclist like myself is "scared"? That is a bit of an oxymoron don't you think? It is quite obvious anyone that rides a bike all over the city in all neighborhoods would be the least scared of all people in the city except for maybe the people who walk all over the city without a car in the parking lot. Both of us are rare and obviously much less fearful than those driving in a box of metal for their protection. You may want to rethink your odd little theory, but it was a funny try to provoke as you like to do.

1. There is a new trend going on, which wasn't pointed out by myself, but someone else.
2. People should have their guard up if you are walking around the city.
3. I didn't start this thread, nor did I post links to this possible new fun things for teens to do.

Don't you see that even your attempt at a deflection is an admission in this case. You're "scared" of all of the others when you're riding your bicycle, disproportionately so.

Look, I understand why you wouldn't want to admit it on a public forum. It's OK Curtis...It's something that can be addressed and, while maybe not fully cured, at least ameliorated. You may not be ready to address it yet but as long as you know that there's help available. It seems to me that this braggadocio cyclist-persona that you've adopted is some type of psychic crutch. An attempt at self-reinforcement and publicly projecting an image of what you want to feel like.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
is there any way to block a certain user's posts so they dont appear on one's view of the forum posts?

i'll still risk city life, being trapped here in this city after hours. in my neighborhood, squirrel hill, those hassidic jews are so threatening and dangerous. i fear i will be clubbed with an old, hard matzah. i have arabic features, too which makes me more squeamish to walk amongst the hebrews.

its scary, and i will remain armed.

but something like this isnt too surprising, considering the ghetto attitudes most people put on display in public, especially in that vicinity. i feel sorry for the teacher - that was quite a fall - right on his face. i hope he recovers. and i hope those kids die soon.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
is there any way to block a certain user's posts so they dont appear on one's view of the forum posts?
Yes, in your profile there is a place to add usernames of members who posts you don't want to read.

Click on "My Settings" at the top of the left side of the screen.

Scroll down and click "Edit Ignore List" on the right side.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I still think the city is safe. So far it was an isolated incident.

There aren't groups rampaging around beating people.

It just made me sick when the news reported that kids are doing this stuff for kicks and youtube.

But that is totally irrelevant to what happened here. Not sure why the news reported it like that.

Oh, yeah, it's THE NEWS, which has little to do with reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh