Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:42 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Ditto. I've never lived in a city where people try to initiate a fight with you for parking in front of their homes within UNDEDICATED on-street parking spaces. We can walk to Lawrenceville, so I can't speak for that particular neighborhood's residents, but a large reason why we don't frequent South Side is due to me getting into a shouting match with some idiot on Harcum Way while trying to make a food delivery because I was parked in "his" space. The guy even said "don't get smart with me, boy" as if I was beneath him or something as he stood in the street in front of his pick-up truck waiting for me to move. I've just had far too many negative experiences like this in South Side, which is why my friends and I tend to stay in the East End.
The very day I moved to Pittsburgh in 2005, I parked on a side street in Lawrenceville next to the house I had rented. About an hour after I got there, I went back to fetch a box from the car and noticed someone had put a sign on my windshield. The sign said: "Get your car off my spot". I figured I'd do it later and kept taking boxes back up. About 10 minutes later I had another sign that read "Get your DAMN CAR off my spot"..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 05:46 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
The very day I moved to Pittsburgh in 2005, I parked on a side street in Lawrenceville next to the house I had rented. About an hour after I got there, I went back to fetch a box from the car and noticed someone had put a sign on my windshield. The sign said: "Get your car off my spot". I figured I'd do it later and kept taking boxes back up. About 10 minutes later I had another sign that read "Get your DAMN CAR off my spot"..
I solve these problems by living in Lawrenceville and walking to things

More seriously, my own experience with parking is probably aberrant for the neighborhood, as there is a tiny apartment with off-street parking across the street from me, and across the alley there is an abandoned house and one whose only resident gets around via a motorized golf cart. So unless I park late at night, there is always a space available nearby.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Getting way off-topic here, but I still think it's ludicrous to expect to have a "reserved" on-street parking space in front of your home. I live near Gooski's Bar, and often times when they have events going on I find myself parking a great distance away from my front door. Do I mind? No. The benefits of living in the city far outweigh the drawbacks, and more "outsiders" venturing into our neighborhood to patronize the morbidly few businesses we have is a boon, in my opinion.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Getting way off-topic here, but I still think it's ludicrous to expect to have a "reserved" on-street parking space in front of your home. I live near Gooski's Bar, and often times when they have events going on I find myself parking a great distance away from my front door. Do I mind? No. The benefits of living in the city far outweigh the drawbacks, and more "outsiders" venturing into our neighborhood to patronize the morbidly few businesses we have is a boon, in my opinion.
If you live in a mixed residential/business area, it is unrealistic to expect to park in front of your house. Even if you live in an area with apartment buildings, it's unrealistic. But when you live in a neighborhood that is exclusively residential with no apartment buildings, it's very reasonable to expect your neighbors to not park in front of your house. After all, they have somewhere to park in front of their house. If they are too lazy to shovel their own spots, I can understand neighbors being mad. It really depends on the neighborhood.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:52 AM

377 posts, read 652,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If you live in a mixed residential/business area, it is unrealistic to expect to park in front of your house. Even if you live in an area with apartment buildings, it's unrealistic. But when you live in a neighborhood that is exclusively residential with no apartment buildings, it's very reasonable to expect your neighbors to not park in front of your house. After all, they have somewhere to park in front of their house. If they are too lazy to shovel their own spots, I can understand neighbors being mad. It really depends on the neighborhood.
I agree with this. In Millvale I lived on a hill where it was residential only. I always made sure to park in front of my own house. There was a vacant house next to me so when friends came over I had them park in front of that house. This is pretty much what all the neighbors did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh