Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:27 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times

Advertisements

I first want to acknowledge that I understand that the folllowing could happen in any city before someone patronizes me as if I do not think this to be the case, There I did it. This does not make the following excusable here or anywhere else.
Around 3pm a couple apparently in their sixties decked out in Philadelphia Eagles garb comes into the hotel visibly upset well before the game was over or at hand. I asked what the problem was.
They were sitting in a section of pea brained Steeler fans who were giving them a hard time and threw beer and vulgarities at the couple to the point where they had to leave the highly contested game early since they could not find security or a cop. They mentioned to me that they had a great time in Pittsburgh up to that point and had a great wekend ruined. They rode the incline, took a riverboat cruise, had some great meals, and just enjoyed the overal vibe of the confuence on this October weekend. This is until a certain element that gives Pittsburgh a bad name came into the picture. It is a touch of irony that it happened at an event that many ignorant people feel is all that Pittsburgh has to offer, i.e. football. This couple discovered that the city has other charms and their weekend was ruined by particular fans of the Steelers who probably think tailgating and football are why Pittsburgh is most livable. Anybody that thinks that a sixty something couple wearing visiting team gear to Pittsburgh deserves to be abused is a moron. This could happen anywhere to be sure. This thread is not about anywhere. This is the Pittsburgh forum. We, as Pittburghers, should not condone this. If Pittsburgh wants to move to the next level, we can't afford this type of thing to happen, even if it does happen in Boston or Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 06:57 PM

894 posts, read 1,324,573 times
Which hotel do you work @ if you don't mind me asking?

Old 10-08-2012, 07:01 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
Which hotel do you work @ if you don't mind me asking?
I'd rather not say, as I work in the spotlight and it would be easy to track me down. Let me just say it is a major one Downtown.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
The boorish behavior at Steeler games is one reason why we, even as season ticket holders, don't go to the games anymore.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
They must have never attended an Eagles game if they are not used to poor fan behavior

Old 10-08-2012, 08:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I would never wear Steeler garb to a game in another city. Then again, I don't wear Steeler garb. But you get my point

There is no excuse for what happened to them. I do rank this as street smarts though. How could they not know that spors fans are idiots?

Old 10-08-2012, 09:22 PM

701 posts, read 2,029,942 times
Some big football fans in PA... Sports and alcohol tend to mix. Teste fans are bound to be found in any city that has a strongly supported team. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. I won't go into Pitt or Philly with the opposing team's gear on. Common sense!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:09 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I really don't care if I go to another Steeler game or not, too many drunks. A bunch of my highschool buddies used to go to one game a year on the road. Great time, we were pretty much left alone, being old farts. But talk about a-hole Steeler fans. Some just go to cause trouble.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 AM

802 posts, read 1,320,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
Some big football fans in PA... Sports and alcohol tend to mix. Teste fans are bound to be found in any city that has a strongly supported team. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. I won't go into Pitt or Philly with the opposing team's gear on. Common sense!
I agree. However I think you're taking a higher risk of wearing the opposition teams gear in Philadelphia than Pittsburgh. I say this because you rarely hear of fans getting assaulted in Pittsburgh. The same cannot be said for Philly. Eagles fans are the worst but each team has their share of idiots and goons.

The Steelers fans that were bothering this couple sound like complete jackasses.

I do like football and the Steelers. However, I visit Pittsburgh for much more than that. There are many great attractions in the city.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:31 AM

31 posts, read 43,918 times
I have lived in different areas of the country and have worn Steelers gear to a few different stadiums. I have seen good and bad on both sides. From a Ravens fan throwing a beer at a lady's head to Steeler fans swearing at little kids in Heinz field. The problem is people get way too emotional over a game that they are not even playing. Couple that with alcohol and well the a**holes come out. Wear your colors, root for your team and even talk a litle smack. Yet after the game everyone shake hands and part as fellow citizens.

Overall I think Pitt fans are well behaved but then again I am biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh