Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is pittsburgh northeatern or midwestern?
Northeastern 100 51.28%
Midwestern 45 23.08%
other 50 25.64%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:44 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
whatareyoutalkingabout.wav

Are you Dr. Emmit Brown?
Well clearly spent most of his time here under our many bridges (waiting for goats).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 11:56 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
Never lived in Pittsburgh! When I think of Pittsburgh I think of movies like Out of Furnace and The Deer Hunter. Steelworkers, poverty, alcoholism, crime and ghost neighborhoods and my short visit in Pittsburgh pretty much confirmed my perception of the city.
you've probably been attacked by zombies at the local shopping malls as well.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:03 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
Yes it is..

"America's Most Livable City" - Jasiri X - YouTube

Seriously, some American cities, including Pittsburgh is slowly dying. I got the same feeling when I was in Rochester and Buffalo.

I know that 240 Miles is closer than 300 miles – read it contextually.
I never took contextual math, thanks anyway. How about this - Baltimore is 240 miles from Pittsburgh and is much more similar to it than Columbus (185 miles).

Old 06-16-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
you've probably been attacked by zombies at the local shopping malls as well.
Who hasn't?

Old 06-19-2014, 08:49 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe they need to ramp up the education in the Midwest then. Denver is not in the mountains. I repeat, Denver is not in the mountains.

Getting back to Pittsburgh, yes, it's a Gateway to many things. As this country was settled east to west, it's more natural to think of Pittsburgh as the Gateway to the west.
Whoa....ad hominums are fun...

Ok....so....I'm pretty confident that I got a MUCH better education in Minnesota than you did in Pennsylvania (or wherever), since the experts have been ranking Minnesota's education system at or very near the top every year for oh, the past thirty years or so....so let's address the rest of your post:

From a Midwesterner's perspective, Denver is not in the Midwest. I repeat, Denver is not in the Midwest.

From a Midwesterner's perspective, Denver is in the mountains. I know you have that cute little plain and foothills and whatever, but let's be honest, if you're that close to the mountains, you're in them. At least, if you ask a Midwesterner. Not everybody would say Pittsburgh is in the mountains either, but if you're coming from Minnesota or Illinois....those are mountains, plain and simple.

From a Midwesterner's perspective, Pittsburgh is not in the Midwest either.

How do I know this? I'm actually from the Midwest, unlike everybody else on this thread (thus far).

I'm unclear on why your Denver friends want to be in the Midwest so bad that they delude themselves into thinking they are, but...yeah...they're not. They're just not, and....sorry, I guess?

Quote:
Maybe they need to ramp up the education in the Midwest then. Denver is not in the mountains. I repeat, Denver is not in the mountains.

Getting back to Pittsburgh, yes, it's a Gateway to many things. As this country was settled east to west, it's more natural to think of Pittsburgh as the Gateway to the west.
Pittsburgh's the "Gateway to the West"? That's a new one...

Quote:
Nice picture. It is 15 miles from d/t Denver to Golden, the city in the background. It's 30 miles to Evergreen, which is considered the foothills.

I, too, think Pittsburgh is the original west. Pitt was the first college west of the Alleghenies.
So, you wouldn't consider New Orleans or Houston a Gulf Coast city? Or, more to the point, you wouldn't consider Louisiana a Gulf Coast state?

Last edited by Yac; 06-24-2014 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 06-19-2014, 09:04 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburghtruths View Post
In ohio, there's a big change when you cross the stateline. The topography and even state laws are different than pa.
Really? Ohio has different laws than Pa?

Old 06-20-2014, 04:27 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
History of Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See number 3.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:28 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
Quote:
Whoa....ad hominums are fun...

Ok....so....I'm pretty confident that I got a MUCH better education in Minnesota than you did in Pennsylvania (or wherever), since the experts have been ranking Minnesota's education system at or very near the top every year for oh, the past thirty years or so....so let's address the rest of your post:

From a Midwesterner's perspective, Denver is not in the Midwest. I repeat, Denver is not in the Midwest.

From a Midwesterner's perspective, Denver is in the mountains. I know you have that cute little plain and foothills and whatever, but let's be honest, if you're that close to the mountains, you're in them. At least, if you ask a Midwesterner. Not everybody would say Pittsburgh is in the mountains either, but if you're coming from Minnesota or Illinois....those are mountains, plain and simple.

From a Midwesterner's perspective, Pittsburgh is not in the Midwest either.

How do I know this? I'm actually from the Midwest, unlike everybody else on this thread (thus far).

I'm unclear on why your Denver friends want to be in the Midwest so bad that they delude themselves into thinking they are, but...yeah...they're not. They're just not, and....sorry, I guess?
Folks, I give you "Minnesota Nice".

Old 06-20-2014, 05:09 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh was a "Gateway To The West" for a short period of time. Keep in mind that in 1790, the West was Ohio. This period was from around 1790, until about 1810. As settlers headed for Ohio, and points west, Pittsburgh was the last established town, and the place where travelers would switch from land to water as they traveled west. As such, they would often load up on supplies there. By 1810, with Cincinnati well established, and settlers heading into Indiana, Kentucky, and Illinois, travelers no longer "loaded up" at Pittsburgh, traveling light all the way to Cincy, or even Louisville, where they would then load up on needed goods, before heading to their final destination.

Thus, Pittsburgh was one of many places that served as a "Gateway To The West", and probably the first, but only maintained that status for a short time as Buffalo, and Cincy supplanted it, before they themselves were supplanted by St. Louis, which became the iconic "Gateway To The West".

Old 06-20-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Actually it's an old one.

Lewis & Clark - The Journey Begins in Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh