Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:39 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,232,211 times

Advertisements

These two city public high schools were arguably the two most notable high schools in the city, yet they are the ones to close. Meanwhile, less notable ones like Langley, Carrick, and Oliver remain open. Am I missing something or is the reason that they are closing is their size and prominence, hence, are too expensive to operate, as opposed to a Langley or an Oliver. I do not understand. Anybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 04:10 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Schenley was such a beautiful building. (and no I am not talking about the so-called new Schenley) Of course they used the old pathetic excuse that they are using for the Civic Arena. Oh, it is in such disrepair, blah, blah, blah. It was an awesome place. I have had some dealings with Schenley and know it pretty well. I don't think the grads these days had some great education because the home life of so many of the kids was more about survival, but they offered some cool classes like Japanese. It really saddened me when they sold that great building, but what can you do. Someone's palm was greased.

City schools are going through some interesting growing pains. I would have liked them to keep Schenley's building because it showed some pride compared to that dump on Penn Ave., but what can you do? Guess the last famous person was Dejuan Blair to graduate from there. There have been many famous people that have graduated from that place. Quite a history and it was the first million dollar school built in the US. NO MORE!

Old 06-13-2011, 04:16 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
The city has been closing high schools for years, when I graduated Langley in 1974 there were 13 high schools.

Gladstone, 5th Ave, Allegheny, South Hills, South have all bit the dust already.

Schenley no longer has a building, and the school board is committed to reintroducing Westinghouse as twin single sex schools and is in relatively close proximity to Peabody.

Closing Carrick or Langley would mean much longer trips to school for those children which would might well involve downtown traffic.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The city has been closing high schools for years, when I graduated Langley in 1974 there were 13 high schools.

Gladstone, 5th Ave, Allegheny, South Hills, South have all bit the dust already.

Schenley no longer has a building, and the school board is committed to reintroducing Westinghouse as twin single sex schools and is in relatively close proximity to Peabody.

Closing Carrick or Langley would mean much longer trips to school for those children which would might well involve downtown traffic.
So, what is your take on all this? Sure you say the intent, but do you have an opinion on the subject? I think single sex schools would be a good idea for some of these schools. That could be a good thing.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:36 PM

I think the single sex school concept is worthwhile to try.

Its worked fine over the years for Central and St. Paul's Cathedral and other schools as well.

Some of the city schools have real problems with achievement, and eliminating some of the distractions could help a lot of these students regain focus.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:02 PM
gg

Quote:

Its worked fine over the years for Central and St. Paul's Cathedral and other schools as well.

Some of the city schools have real problems with achievement, and eliminating some of the distractions could help a lot of these students regain focus.
True, but the home life for so many of these kids is about survival, not books. Of course anything could help. It has about no where to go but up, I mean how much worse can some of these schools get? Wish there was more money in the city, so there could be better schools. Guess the burbs will continue to do much better, but maybe someday.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:13 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:

Central and Oakland have a very different mentality however than Westinghouse. I doubt most kids of parents who can afford the $8000 tuition of those two school have as many problems and issues as those in inner city school.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Central and Oakland have a very different mentality however than Westinghouse. I doubt most kids of parents who can afford the $8000 tuition of those two school have as many problems and issues as those in inner city school.
I don't see it as all due to the fact that the students at Westinghouse are economically deprived.

It wasn't that long ago that schools like Central had large numbers of poor immigrant students who still did well in school.

This plan could be a good first step in returning to a better standard of scholarship at the 'House.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:30 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:
I don't see it as all due to the fact that the students at Westinghouse are economically deprived.

It wasn't that long ago that schools like Central had large numbers of poor immigrant students who still did well in school.

This plan could be a good first step in returning to a better standard of scholarship at the 'House.
I was also looking at the discipline part of the equation too. I think at Central they will kick you out if you don't keep a passing GPA and I couldn't see Central or Oakland taking any of the stuff that generally happens in inner city schools stereo-typically. You will get suspended or expelled at Central and Oakland if you're a problem student and it's not as easy to do that I'd imagine at your neighborhood city high school.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:57 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,136,372 times
I think Schenley is close to Pitt? Pitt could make the best use of it and keep it as an academic building....as long as they promise not to demolish it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh