Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:58 AM

5 posts, read 10,331 times

Advertisements

Hello from Cleveland

Please don't hate, I'm actually a Miami Dolphins fan.

The girlfriend and I are heading to your lovely town in about 8 hours and I've planned some things for our weekend trip. I hear lots of good things about Pittsburgh-- seems like you are about 5-10 years ahead of where Cleveland wants to be, so we're excited to visit for two nights.

Here's hoping you guys confirm/give opinions on what we've planned in line with our tastes.

We're big microbrew people and always go to breweries wherever we go. We are not really into fine dining. We also like to take in the touristy things so here's kinda what I've been thinking. Also love architecture and just waltzing around and taking pictures.

We're staying downtown and got a good deal on Priceline for Fri/Sat night. When we get in we're going to walk around your Point Place Park at the 3-Rivers, our hotel is right there. Tonight (Friday) we want to go to the SouthSide and eat at Hofbrauhaus and then go walking around and going bar hopping. Carson St is as safe as W 25th in Cleveland I hope, there should be a lot of people around on a Friday night right? Any good places to stop in for a beer/cocktail after Hofbrauhaus? We like Martini bars, casual bars, but definitely no Miami-style night clubs. It's honestly not going to be a big deal when my license literally says Cleveland on it right? So much weird football hate imo.

On Saturday we have a one-hour Duck Tour boat lined up at noon (Touristy, I know). We also want to do the Mt. Washington incline either before/after the Duck Tour. I hear shopping at the Strip District is good on Saturday. What are the best times for that? Some other things that I've heard are nice to take in is your Allegany Cemetary and/or the Pitt Campus? I wouldn't mind a nature walk or a nice trail for an hour? Any good ideas? For lunch I hear we have to have one of these Primanti sandwiches. I hear good and bad things about it, but if we're in Pittsburgh we have to do it I've heard. For Saturday brewpub we're thinking of the Penn Brewery on the Northside.

Sunday we'll pack up and leave back to Cleveland.

Thanks in advance for any tips/recommendations. We're excited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 06:12 AM

632 posts, read 1,071,003 times
If you're looking for something to do in Southside after HofBrau on Friday night, just walk towards Carson and turn right. You'll hit most of the more relaxed and laid back bars way before you hit 18th street. Note - make sure you get to HofBrau before 8ish, as it get jam-packed with a line out the door. I dont know how cold it will be, but sit outside on the patio if you can handle a bit of air.

If you're into the microbrews, stop in at OTB (on the left/south side of Carson, between 25/26th), Ruggers Pub (turn right on 22nd) down with the yellow sign (I'll be there!)...or make your way down to Fatheads or Pipers Pub (down near 18th). Lots of draft/bottle microbrews at each of those places. All very reasonably priced too.

Strip - if you want to see it liveliest, go as early as you can in the morning (8-10am)...if you want to get breakfast there at one of the "famous" places, go earliest as possible or else you'll be waiting an hour.

If you wanted to wander Pitts campus, I'd do it Sunday mroning if you can. Saturday it will be very busy with kids everywhere/parking sucking/etc.

Saturday night, either Penn Brewery or Church Brewworks on Liberty Ave in the Strip District. If you go to Church sit on the left side when you walk in - more of a pub-by atmosphere and some good drafts right now.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:25 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,088 times
Sounds like you have a good plan. If you run into any comments based on your Cleveland license play it light, let them know you're a Dolphins fan and they may take pity on you and buy you a drink... (after last night, though, no Steelers fan has a right to pity anyone else...) Anyway, I wouldn't expect you to have any problems, but please don't hold any random a-holes against the rest of us.

For green space/walks there is a trail along the river on the North Shore. You can walk across any of the identical bridges (the 6th, 7th or 9th Street, aka, the Clemente, Warhol or Rachel Carson bridges) to access it from downtown. If you walk away from the stadiums, it will get more woodsy. If you're going to Oakland to visit Pitt's campus, Schenley Park is right there.

North Shore Trail (Three Rivers Heritage Trail system) | Pennsylvania Trails | TrailLink.com

Schenley Park

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:26 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
I think your overall itinerary is good, and here are a few suggestions:

When you are walking around Point Park, I'd think about crossing the bridge over to the North Side (the path is toward the right as you walk through the tunnel from Downtown), then walk along the river a bit and cross back over one of the Three Sisters bridges into Downtown. If you walk down to the last of the Three Sisters you'll get some fantastic views of Downtown, and then once over the bridge you can walk a block off the river to Penn Avenue, and walk back toward your hotel through the Cultural District. That is a great circuit for anyone into architecture.

You should do The Strip in the morning, before heading to Station Square for your Duck Tour and Incline ride. I'd then head to Market Square back Downtown for a late lunch. You can do Primantis there (although I recommend against it--much better would be Wingharts, or a couple other places on the Square). For dinner I would do Church Brew Works over the Penn Brewery, just because it is such a neat space.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awval999 View Post
Hello from Cleveland

Please don't hate, I'm actually a Miami Dolphins fan.
hope you have a great time! posts like yours are a reminder to not take things for granted.

for the record - no one cares about the Browns, anyway. so you can be a Browns fan if your heart desires!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:58 AM

5 posts, read 10,331 times
The walk across the bridges to the North Side and the North Shore trail looks like a winner. I'm definitely going to add that.

Seems like it has to be an early morning for the Strip. Where exactly is the "best" part of the district? Is it Liberty, Penn or Smallman?

Also how are taxis on the SouthSide on Fri/Sat nights? Is it possible to hail on the street or should I put the number in my phone for a trip back to the hotel?

Old 10-12-2012, 07:00 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
We're big microbrew people and always go to breweries wherever we go. We are not really into fine dining. We also like to take in the touristy things so here's kinda what I've been thinking. Also love architecture and just waltzing around and taking pictures.
For an architecture walking tour, Market Square is a great place to start. Then a loop up Penn to the convention center, cut east on 10th, go down to Wm Penn hotel, cut to Grant St. (courthouse) and then back to hotel down 3rd or 4th. Unless you wanted to see houses... then you could be anywhere as there are houses to see all over the place.

Quote:
We're staying downtown and got a good deal on Priceline for Fri/Sat night. When we get in we're going to walk around your Point Place Park at the 3-Rivers, our hotel is right there. Tonight (Friday) we want to go to the SouthSide and eat at Hofbrauhaus and then go walking around and going bar hopping. Carson St is as safe as W 25th in Cleveland I hope, there should be a lot of people around on a Friday night right? Any good places to stop in for a beer/cocktail after Hofbrauhaus? We like Martini bars, casual bars, but definitely no Miami-style night clubs. It's honestly not going to be a big deal when my license literally says Cleveland on it right?
Last point first - as you're going to Hofbrauhaus, you'll want to park in SouthSide Works and it'll be a big parking lot or garage away from the drunks, so Ohio plates won't matter. I wouldn't bother or try taking your car to go barhopping, although the bar area on Carson extends about 16 blocks west from SSW. I'd walk it (once you've reached Jack's, you've gone far enough). The reco for OTB is good and Piper's Pub might also be fun for you (both are more beer than martinis, latter is a British-style pub). Best bets for martini bar on Carson are Elixir, S Lounge and Lava Lounge, though none makes a great martini. The bar at Nakama is a great place for douchebag watching. Probably best martinis you'll find on Sat night will be nearer your hotel - try Olive or Twist if you can get in. Market Square also has options.

Quote:
On Saturday we have a one-hour Duck Tour boat lined up at noon (Touristy, I know). We also want to do the Mt. Washington incline either before/after the Duck Tour. I hear shopping at the Strip District is good on Saturday. What are the best times for that? Some other things that I've heard are nice to take in is your Allegany Cemetary and/or the Pitt Campus? I wouldn't mind a nature walk or a nice trail for an hour? Any good ideas? For lunch I hear we have to have one of these Primanti sandwiches. I hear good and bad things about it, but if we're in Pittsburgh we have to do it I've heard. For Saturday brewpub we're thinking of the Penn Brewery on the Northside.
IMO, the view from Mt. Washington is prettier at night, but that's a minor point. Timing of your Duck Tour is not great - you could easily spend a couple of hours in the Strip (Penn Av.) and at Pittsburgh Public Market (Smallman St.). The Strip is jamming on Sat. mornings, but that's also what makes it more fun. The interesting parts are from 17th to 23rd St (where you'll find the Sat. farmer's market from 9a-1p and Lucy's Banh Mi cart, where you'll get a better sandwich than Primantis). Can't speak to the cemetery, but on the Pitt campus, Cathedral of Learning is interesting - whatever your ethnic background is, find the applicable room(s). Personally I'd do Church Brew Works over Penn Brewery for both ambience and beer quality. Nature walk... Frick Park is great for that - you could head there after visiting Pitt campus. However, you might just want to walk along the Allegheny River.

Have fun.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
As for cabs....you can hail them from the street, but it also helps to be able to call....getting a cab in SS on a Friday night is a less than joyous experience, but as always it is better than driving...safety first!....When it comes to catching a cab at the end of the night in the SS you will need the following: 1. The number saved in your phone, because you will be calling it over and over again, 2. They have an app for hailing a cab now, its called Taxi Magic 3. Patience, it can take some time to get one 4. I would suggest you head out to Carson around 1-1:15 am to start looking for a cab, your chances are much greater than at 2 am (Although you will miss the 2 am zombie walk...its pretty intense, people seem to not notice buses heading straight at them, and girls in nice dresses sitting on a curb crying and eating pizza) 5. I like to center my cab search around 10th and Carson...its a major intersection and gateway into the neighborhood, so you will have a lot of cabs returning to the SS empty after dropping people off....

Good luck!!

Old 10-12-2012, 07:37 AM

632 posts, read 1,071,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
As for cabs....you can hail them from the street, but it also helps to be able to call....getting a cab in SS on a Friday night is a less than joyous experience, but as always it is better than driving...safety first!....When it comes to catching a cab at the end of the night in the SS you will need the following: 1. The number saved in your phone, because you will be calling it over and over again, 2. They have an app for hailing a cab now, its called Taxi Magic 3. Patience, it can take some time to get one 4. I would suggest you head out to Carson around 1-1:15 am to start looking for a cab, your chances are much greater than at 2 am (Although you will miss the 2 am zombie walk...its pretty intense, people seem to not notice buses heading straight at them, and girls in nice dresses sitting on a curb crying and eating pizza) 5. I like to center my cab search around 10th and Carson...its a major intersection and gateway into the neighborhood, so you will have a lot of cabs returning to the SS empty after dropping people off....

Good luck!!
Exactly!!! Either there or right at the Birmingham!

Old 10-12-2012, 07:43 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,022 times
BTW, Pitt is playing Louisville @ 11am on Saturday at Heinz Field (homecoming), so that morning should be a good tailgating/ people watching experience on the North Shore. Weather is supposed to be perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh