Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 09:38 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Are you living under a rock? Kids getting into Ivy League schools isn't any indication whatsoever of drug usage. As I said, their parents have the money to save them. Suburban kids are getting into heavy drugs these days. Crazy drugs we would have never touched when we were kids. Heck, drugs I've never even seen. Middle class families are forclosing on their homes trying to save their kids. Wealthy families are able to save their kids without anyone noticing. If your kids are in high school, and you truly have no clue what I'm talking about, I recommend you pull your head out of the sand and learn quickly. It's always the kids of the parents who have no clue.
Drugs, drinking and weird sex-related issues. Orgies, making films, organized stuff, a lot of unreported and underreported rapes. Lot of twisted stuff going on with middle and upper class white teens these days. Middle and upper class kids are being raised in large numbers with no empathy and really twisted moral codes, for whatever reason. No, these aren't things reflected in test scores and crap, nor does the media talk about it in the same way as they do black kids shooting each other, but there's a lot of crazy stuff going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 10:26 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Bad things happen, but violence is down among the kids.
CDC - Violent Crime Arrest Rates Among Persons Ages 10-24 - Youth Violence - Violence Prevention - Injury
CDC - Trends in Homicide Rates Among Persons Ages 10-24 Years by Sex - Youth Violence - Violence Prevention - Injury

And they're very sorry their football went on your lawn. Can they have it back now?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Are you living under a rock? Kids getting into Ivy League schools isn't any indication whatsoever of drug usage. As I said, their parents have the money to save them. Suburban kids are getting into heavy drugs these days. Crazy drugs we would have never touched when we were kids. Heck, drugs I've never even seen. Middle class families are forclosing on their homes trying to save their kids. Wealthy families are able to save their kids without anyone noticing. If your kids are in high school, and you truly have no clue what I'm talking about, I recommend you pull your head out of the sand and learn quickly. It's always the kids of the parents who have no clue.
Not living under a rock at all. I think you just live for media hype. You hear about a couple of kids into drugs and you think that is ALL kids. Doesn't work that way. There has ALWAYS been drug use in schools and it is nothing new. Doesn't mean everyone does it or the majority.

Anyway, back on topic. Shame more and more violence just seems to take people's lives in the city. The women that was gunned down in the stomach sure sounded like a nice lady. She should have relocated out to the burbs where it is much safer.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:11 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Not living under a rock at all. I think you just live for media hype. You hear about a couple of kids into drugs and you think that is ALL kids. Doesn't work that way. There has ALWAYS been drug use in schools and it is nothing new. Doesn't mean everyone does it or the majority.

Anyway, back on topic. Shame more and more violence just seems to take people's lives in the city. The women that was gunned down in the stomach sure sounded like a nice lady. She should have relocated out to the burbs where it is much safer.
Uh, she lived in the suburbs. I think either Verona or Penn Hills. Her grandson was from Wilkinsburg and she came to see him play at a field that happened to be in the city.

This isn't a city versus suburbs issue. And technically Wilkinsburg is a suburb.

For being so adamant about being car free, you sure do like suburban sprall.

I fear for my life biking mid-day through O'Hara Twp or Indiana Twp or Fox Chapel and being run down by a 17 year old kid in their parents' car, a 45 year old republican in his sports car or a distracted soccer mom in her SUV much more than I fear walking or biking in the evening through East Liberty.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:26 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Uh, she lived in the suburbs. I think either Verona or Penn Hills. Her grandson was from Wilkinsburg and she came to see him play at a field that happened to be in the city.

This isn't a city versus suburbs issue. And technically Wilkinsburg is a suburb.

For being so adamant about being car free, you sure do like suburban sprall.

I fear for my life biking mid-day through O'Hara Twp or Indiana Twp or Fox Chapel and being run down by a 17 year old kid in their parents' car, a 45 year old republican in his sports car or a distracted soccer mom in her SUV much more than I fear walking or biking in the evening through East Liberty.
Ah, that explains it. Wilkinsburg, Penn Hills and Verona aren't exactly the best areas and would be wildly different than NA, FC, Mt. Lebo and USC.

I agree, I would rather ride a bike in East Liberty (not on Penn Ave) than any suburb. Suburbs are horrible for cycling for the most part. That being said, there is no really great cycling in Pittsburgh unless you are lucky enough to be able to use trails for commutes. Those commutes are pretty rare.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
The city is much more dangerous when it comes to violent crimes for a myriad of reasons, I wish people would stop trying to claim otherwise. This does not have to mean that the suburbs are superior across the board in any way, but some things true as much as some would wish otherwise, no reason to get defensive about it.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:35 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
The city is much more dangerous when it comes to violent crimes for a myriad of reasons, I wish people would stop trying to claim otherwise. This does not have to mean that the suburbs are superior across the board in any way, but some things true as much as some would wish otherwise, no reason to get defensive about it.
I agree. People come on here for accurate information. It is safe to say the city is much more dangerous than most suburbs, other than a few. Wilkinsburg and McKees Rocks come to mind. Obviously it would be safer anywhere in the North or South Hills than the city. Goodness there is a shooting about every single day and the stabbings and such don't even make the news much of the time.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:07 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
I agree. People come on here for accurate information. It is safe to say the city is much more dangerous than most suburbs, other than a few. Wilkinsburg and McKees Rocks come to mind. Obviously it would be safer anywhere in the North or South Hills than the city. Goodness there is a shooting about every single day and the stabbings and such don't even make the news much of the time.
If you only treat the city as a whole but define suburbs as those suburbs that are safe, you will manage to be right and useless at the same time when you say the city isn't safe.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:18 PM

83 posts, read 79,514 times
"If you only treat the city as a whole but define suburbs as those suburbs that are safe, you will manage to be right and useless at the same time when you say the city isn't safe."

Here's a little sanity check, I think. How many of you know someone who has been killed in a car accident connected either to the distances involved with suburban commuting or to the development pattern of suburbs? Severely injured / permanently disabled? How many of you, if you grew up in suburbs, knew kids who had their lives completely derailed by drugs because they were bored and there was nothing to do and they had a false sense of security from the suburban safety bubble? If you grew up in suburbs, how many of you knew kids who committed suicide, at least credibly connected to the style of community you grew up around?

Now how many of you know people who have been in any way physically harmed by the city factors (street crime, homicide) we're talking about here?

For me personally, it's not even close. Going only by my own life experiences and anecdotes, IF YOU ARE WHITE, cities (and especially minimizing interactions with cars) appear to be far safer than suburban living. I have personally known people who have endured robberies that were city connected, but otherwise, for people I know, suburbs have been much more dangerous. Now, the folks who live there would just chalk all those things up to fluke accidents and the cost of doing business, which is their choice, but I have a hard time believing the statistics back it up, depending specifically on your demographic.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:54 AM

225 posts, read 299,736 times
Quote:

Half my graduating class were casual-or-more users of marijuana, cocaine, and alcohol, and I went to a suburban school known for essentially being a country club with specific hours you had to be there. The other half just drank themselves silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh