Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 03:05 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,878,294 times

Advertisements

Reading this thread, one would think that people who moved out of the city were crazy - why leave a haven a safety for one with nothing more then rampent adolecent drug use, high suicide rates, and being faced with near certain death behind the wheel of a car daily. Though I would gather many with the aforementioned beliefs also believe that those not living in the city only moved because they hate/fear black people.

I live in the city and think most of the above posts regarding the dangers of 'suburban living" are absolute nonsense and overblown to the tenth degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Reading this thread, one would think that people who moved out of the city were crazy - why leave a haven a safety for one with nothing more then rampent adolecent drug use, high suicide rates, and being faced with near certain death behind the wheel of a car daily. Though I would gather many with the aforementioned beliefs also believe that those not living in the city only moved because they hate/fear black people.

I live in the city and think most of the above posts regarding the dangers of 'suburban living" are absolute nonsense and overblown to the tenth degree.
Yeah, I agree. Kids around my area are too busy with school and sports or activities to be messing about with drugs and such. Sure there are always going to be a few, but not that many. Just like that old move "The Breakfast Club". That sort of still holds true today.

People always want to think they made the right choice by living where they are and on top of that most people in the city want to promote the city. Most don't bother promoting the suburbs because they are already booming with population and don't have piles of blight and crumbling structures as well as drug violence and sadly shootings at pee wee football games. It is understandable people are very passionate in promoting the city due to so much bad press it gets daily with some shooting, stabbing or murder. When is the last time you heard of a murder at a suburb football game around here, let alone a pee wee one. Goodness.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Most don't bother promoting the suburbs because they are already booming with population and don't have piles of blight and crumbling structures as well as drug violence and sadly shootings at pee wee football games.
Plenty of suburbs have huge piles of crumbling structures are more violent than the city. Plenty of city neighborhoods have no crumbling and as little violence as the nicer suburbs. You have mentally defined “suburb” as “nice suburb” while making no distinctions. You are then using this to prove the suburbs are nicer than the city. It’s called a tautology and that is why I keep coming back to this point, not to promote the city.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:18 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Drugs, drinking and weird sex-related issues. Orgies, making films, organized stuff, a lot of unreported and under-reported rapes. Lot of twisted stuff going on with middle and upper class white teens these days. Middle and upper class kids are being raised in large numbers with no empathy and really twisted moral codes, for whatever reason. No, these aren't things reflected in test scores and crap, nor does the media talk about it in the same way as they do black kids shooting each other, but there's a lot of crazy stuff going on.
This reads like hysteria, but regardless, I'm glad that I have confidence my daughter will be a socially-awkward nerd like I was, and I won't have to worry about that kind of crap.

Some kids, regardless of where they grow up, are going to be screwed up and look for trouble. I knew kids in high school (and I went to a suburban school in Connecticut) who smoked crack, dismembered animals for fun, set off bombs in parking lots, made thousands of dollars a year dealing drugs in high school, etc.

Parents shouldn't just worry about where they raise their kids, they should be worried about how they raise them. But if you do a reasonably good job, they should know to keep their heads down and steer clear of the real lunatics (who are a minority even in inner-city schools).

Old 10-29-2012, 08:27 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Plenty of suburbs have huge piles of crumbling structures are more violent than the city.
Other than Wilkinsburg, McKees Rocks and Penn Hills what places are you talking about? Is there a problem in the North Hills or the South Hills I am unaware of? Are there shootings at the local pee wee games? Shootings around the parking lots in school areas like at Obama?

Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&J O'Rourke View Post
Half my graduating class were casual-or-more users of marijuana, cocaine, and alcohol, and I went to a suburban school known for essentially being a country club with specific hours you had to be there. The other half just drank themselves silly.
And you've left out the kids who raid their parents' and grandparents' medicine cabinets for prescription pills.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Other than Wilkinsburg, McKees Rocks and Penn Hills what places are you talking about? Is there a problem in the North Hills or the South Hills I am unaware of?
Is there a problem in Squirrel Hill or Shadyside? Also, if you mean "South Hills" you can say that and be much clearer.

Quote:
Are there shootings at the local pee wee games? Shootings around the parking lots in school areas like at Obama?
Are there pee wee games there? People from the suburbs tend to spend much of their lives in the city while people from the city don't go to the suburbs as often. That's part of the reason anything of note, bad or good, is likely to happen in the city.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,041 times
Braddock. Rankin. I believe parts of Monroeville and Turtle Creek but I don't honestly remember. You are being deliberately disingenuous by cherry-picking the nicest suburbs and the worst in-city neighborhoods to "prove" that all the city is dangerous and all the suburbs are safe. I honestly don't see why.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Are there pee wee games there? People from the suburbs tend to spend much of their lives in the city while people from the city don't go to the suburbs as often. That's part of the reason anything of note, bad or good, is likely to happen in the city.
Of course there are pee wee leagues in the suburbs! They are very popular!

I was surprised to learn that black suburban parents take their children into the city for pee wee leagues, but I understand their reasoning.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Of course there are pee wee games in the suburbs!
Who really knows what people get up to out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh