Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 08:04 AM

733 posts, read 987,155 times

Advertisements

This argument is making me picture a household scenario in which a new high school graduate is packing his things with plans to move from his parents' inner city home to a suburban neighborhood and his father is saying, "Are you crazy!? Don't you know how much crime and violence there is in those suburbs? No, you need to stay right here in the city with your mother and I."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 05:25 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Wouldn't advise to be that extreeme...
I guess my view may be tainted by the fact that I've had my vehicle broken into 3 times since living in Pittsburgh. Once in the Southside, once in shadyside, and once in Oakland. Never had anything stolen as I didnt have anything of value in the car, but I guess they just wanted to have a look to make sure. 2 broken windows and a slashed top in supposed top neighborhoods (well 2 at least) tends to make one a bit jaded on the matter.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:06 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I guess my view may be tainted by the fact that I've had my vehicle broken into 3 times since living in Pittsburgh. Once in the Southside, once in shadyside, and once in Oakland. Never had anything stolen as I didnt have anything of value in the car, but I guess they just wanted to have a look to make sure. 2 broken windows and a slashed top in supposed top neighborhoods (well 2 at least) tends to make one a bit jaded on the matter.
I thought we were talking about shootings, not petty theft. Petty theft is going to be higher in a walkable neighborhood than a cul-de-sac in a suburb, I'll give you that. Pretty much any city, anywhere.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:39 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I thought we were talking about shootings, not petty theft. Petty theft is going to be higher in a walkable neighborhood than a cul-de-sac in a suburb, I'll give you that. Pretty much any city, anywhere.
I was speaking of crime in general. But yes, shootings are much more common also just to a much lesser extent compared to overall crimes. Petty theft (though hate the term petty when referring to something a deadbeat does that costs you thousands of dollars) is just the more common annoyance of city living.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times
That's also called bad luck more than anything. I've never had anything stolen in any neighbourhood or community in Pittsburgh, despite having a nice car that usually has an ipod, GPS, whatever in it, and I've lived in Mt Oliver, East McKeesport, and Penn Hills, and have spent a lot of time with a parked car in various surrounding, low income communities. That's the inverse, called good luck. However, I lived in a swanky suburb of Portland for a couple years though and our car was chronically broken into. Our roommate's car was wrecked in numerous ways from multiple break ins (windows broken, front console completely wrecked, all the electronics wrecked). It wasn't even a walkable area, it was specifically targeted by petty thieves because it was known that higher income people lived there, and we chased car thieves off the mountain more than once until security was stepped up. My brother had a bunch of stuff stolen from his car in a very, very nice part of Ottawa, Ontario. My parents have had stuff stolen from their vehicles in a tiny rural hamlet in Ontario. Petty crimes of opportunity happen everywhere to some degree and everyone will be a victim of it at some point.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Theft and burglary are about the only things happening in the suburbs, with an occassional rape or domestic related murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh