Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:27 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Going to go down there soon and wondering what they are looking for? Do they make a big deal about your compatibles? I don't think I should attack theirs, but goodness some of them are stupid. I mean comparing a 3 bedroom 1 1/2 to a 5 bedroom 2 1/2 bath and that other home is in an amazing location. Whatever, but what is it like? Are you sitting at a table with several people and you are in the hot seat? Do they counter your appeal, or are they hard nosed from the get go? Is there a decision made on the spot, or do they leave it up in the air? Negotiation?

Thanks for any help on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Don't compare assessments to assessments.
Have solid comparables or an appraisal.
You will be one on one with the assessor, unless the school district shows.
Take 3 copies of everything.
The assessor passes along all info to the board, they make the final decision.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:42 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
Yes. ANd I won It was explained to me that every hearing is different (aka if I brought pictures from inside the house and comparable at the first hearing I should have brought them with me the second time as well). I assumed that they might have them in the file. Wrong. Every time there are different people looking at the appeal so you should take with you all the documents you have: pics, list of comparables, assesements etc.

Luckily my assessment - that I couldn;t find for the first appeal - save me at the second

Obviously the pictures and list of comparables did not impress them, but the assessment did.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Don't compare assessments to assessments.
Have solid comparables or an appraisal.
You will be one on one with the assessor, unless the school district shows.
Take 3 copies of everything.
The assessor passes along all info to the board, they make the final decision.
So there is no negotiation at the table and you just hand them your sales comparisons and then you leave. Just hand paperwork? I don't think the school will show for me since I just negotiated with the district last year. Goodness, could they do that AGAIN?

Anyway, could you be more step by step? Sorry, last time I was there was for the school and it was more of a round table type thing.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Obviously the pictures and list of comparables did not impress them, but the assessment did.
Do you mean "assessment" or a professional "appraisal"?

Old 10-15-2012, 12:23 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Basically, you make your argument which should be based on comps or an appraisal. The School District either sends an attorney or a paralegal.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:35 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
It was an assesement ordered by the bank before they gave me a mortgage. They sent in someone to assess the value of the house before issuing a mortgage.

I am not sure which phase of the appeal you are talking about. If you've appealed once, the second time is the same: you hand in the documents and are required to answer some questions: how much do you feel your house is worth and why, talk about comparables. Meanwhile the guy you are talking to - in a booth - writes down what you say and records you. Later on the decision comes in the mail. If you disagree with that I understand you have the right to appeal again but this time you'll go in front of a judge and his decision is final. AT least this is what the guy whom I handed my documents explained to me. He aslo lectured me that I should have brought comparables and pictures because it did not matter if I brought them the first time. Every appeal is brand new, with different people. They have no idea what the previous did.
So learn from my experience and take pictures and comparables even if you took them previously. They are not 'in the file' like I thought.

ALthough the house was purchased last year and I had the deed showing the price, they assesed it to much higher value based on 'comparables' sales in the area. My pictures did not impress them. The assesement convinced them that I should be taxed on the price I paid for the house, because this is what it was worth.

Take with you all the documents you can think of.

Last edited by XRiteMA98; 10-15-2012 at 12:44 PM..

Old 10-15-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
It was an assesement ordered by the bank before they gave me a mortgage. They sent in someone to assess the value of the house before issuing a mortgage.

I am not sure which phase of the appeal you are talking about. If you've appealed once, the second time is the same: you hand in the documents and are required to answer some questions: how much do you feel your house is worth and why, talk about comparables. Meanwhile the guy you are talking to - in a booth - writes down what you say and records you. Later on the decision comes in the mail. If you disagree with that I understand you have the right to appeal again but this time you'll go in front of a judge and his decision is final. AT least this is what the guy whom I handed my documents explained to me. He aslo lectured me that I should have brought comparables and pictures because it did not matter if I brought them the first time. Every appeal is brand new, with different people. They have no idea what the previous did.
So learn from my experience and take pictures and comparables even if you took them previously. They are not 'in the file' like I thought.

ALthough the house was purchased last year and I had the deed showing the price, they assesed it to much higher value based on 'comparables' sales in the area. My pictures did not impress them. The assesement convinced them that I should be taxed on the price I paid for the house, because this is what it was worth.

Take with you all the documents you can think of.
Are you talking assessment or appraisal?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I think she meant the appraisal convinced the assessors.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:12 PM

No where did she say appraisal in that post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh