Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:35 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,831 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if people ever do relatively inconspicuous interior work in their old Pittsburgh homes that technically requires a permit but don't get one, and then just attribute the work to some guy who lived there before they bought it if anyone ever asks. I woudl guess some of it depends on what your neighbors are like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 09:46 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
I'm wondering if people ever do relatively inconspicuous interior work in their old Pittsburgh homes that technically requires a permit but don't get one, and then just attribute the work to some guy who lived there before they bought it if anyone ever asks. I woudl guess some of it depends on what your neighbors are like.
Just be aware that unpermited work can cause you problems down the road. If you have an insurance claim it may not be covered. When you sell your home, the buyer may not be able to get financing until unpermited work is brought up to code. If accidents or injuries occur as a result of unpermited work you will be liable. Permits aren't required simply to generate revenue, they are there to insure that your home and the homes around you are safe and sound. Get permits. You'll be protecting yourself, your family, your neighbors, and your investment.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:27 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
To directly answer your question: Yes, this happens all the time.

You'd be running a bigger risk of being caught since you'll have the dumpster outside, though.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:56 AM

8 posts, read 27,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Just be aware that unpermited work can cause you problems down the road. If you have an insurance claim it may not be covered. When you sell your home, the buyer may not be able to get financing until unpermited work is brought up to code. If accidents or injuries occur as a result of unpermited work you will be liable. Permits aren't required simply to generate revenue, they are there to insure that your home and the homes around you are safe and sound. Get permits. You'll be protecting yourself, your family, your neighbors, and your investment.
The OP (me), wasn't talking about doing anything without a necessary permit? I'm investigating what work can be done without one, legally.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:17 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto123 View Post
From what I have read, permitting is much more lax for homeowners, different for contractors.
I don't know if that's really true. But on some of the things it would be hard to enforce permits if you didn't hire a contractor or otherwise have any obvious indications that work was being done. If the code says you need a permit and inspections (which is typically the point of the permit, to have an inspector come and check out the work) then you need them even if you are the homeowner.

Something like rewiring and significant moving of plumbing in your list are the most likely to require permits. Windows maybe, but sometimes not. Anything that's considered emergency repair you can start work without permit but should still get one if it is otherwise required for that type of work. Someone above said drywall needs permit in the city, which is crazy, but hey. If you are in the city proper then this is your info: Pittsburgh Bureau of Building Inspection There is a list of residential stuff that doesn't require permits, and it is small. You might need a permit for everything but the brick, gutter and flooring.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Please STOP spreading this lie. Insurance is not nullified by unpermitted work. This has been debunked by numerous insurance companies over and over again, but it springs up in every discussion about permits. As one insurance agent put it, "if we didn't cover for peoples stupid behavior that would eliminate 95% of our claims". Also, do not equate unpermitted with out of code. Under PA law, even if a permit is not required you still have to follow the current code. That said, if you don't know what you're doing that is where a permit can help. You should never make changes that violate the building codes as that can cause problems with resale and be dangerous.

Also, spare us "it's not for revenue" spiel. You must work for the city. Many townships and cities, especially Pittsburgh, require permits for things that have nothing to do with either safety or code. Upper St. Clair requires an electric permit to install a satellite dish. Minneapolis requires a permit to replace a toilet.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:32 AM

482 posts, read 1,234,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Please STOP spreading this lie. Insurance is not nullified by unpermitted work. This has been debunked by numerous insurance companies over and over again, but it springs up in every discussion about permits. As one insurance agent put it, "if we didn't cover for peoples stupid behavior that would eliminate 95% of our claims". Also, do not equate unpermitted with out of code. Under PA law, even if a permit is not required you still have to follow the current code. That said, if you don't know what you're doing that is where a permit can help. You should never make changes that violate the building codes as that can cause problems with resale and be dangerous.

Also, spare us "it's not for revenue" spiel. You must work for the city. Many townships and cities, especially Pittsburgh, require permits for things that have nothing to do with either safety or code. Upper St. Clair requires an electric permit to install a satellite dish. Minneapolis requires a permit to replace a toilet.
Pittsburgh requires a $80 permit to hang holiday lights. Even though people are dumb enough to plug 18 cords into one outlet and require supervision, this is a definite revenue generator. If it were for serious reasons, it would be a federal requirement across the entire country.

Is there any way one can look up past permits pulled for their residence? I'm just curious what kind of stuff was done on my house in the past.

Also, while reading the Pittsburgh BBI page about retaining walls, is anyone with experience able to clarify this statement:
Quote:
Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
I'm confused as to what they mean by "supporting a surcharge"

Old 10-17-2012, 11:35 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
Pittsburgh requires a $80 permit to hang holiday lights.
Does anybody actually pay that? Is it residential or only business? I've never heard of it, but I've never put out holiday lights because I'm too lazy.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:54 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto123 View Post
The OP (me), wasn't talking about doing anything without a necessary permit? I'm investigating what work can be done without one, legally.
Sorry if I jumped on you. I thought you were trying to do work without getting permits. Just call the building department and ask. Their website should have a lot of the info you need. I work for a construction company that plays by the rules. We've seen scary stuff done by people who didn't get permits. Glad to know you're not one of them.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:38 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghuser View Post
City of PGH you need a permit to do drywall. Crazy, I know.

I'll get a permit to drywall when they pry the joint compound from my cold dead hands!

Seriously though. I'm not paying for a permit to work on the interior of my house, especially when its aesthetic in nature. What the city doesn't know won't hurt them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh