Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:57 PM

89 posts, read 202,732 times

Advertisements

Last Thursday my wife and I made our long awaited first trip to Pittsburgh. We had planned on making the move 2years ago but it just didn't happen, we stayed in Carnagie and coming from California the landscape was a shock. I didn't expect it to be compact but that adds to Western Pennsylvanias uniqueness. We took 376 East through the Fort Pitt Bridge and Immidiatly fell in Love with the city! Visiting Regent Square,Squirrel Hill,Highland Park and Aspinwall amazed me with the Older homes and charming streets. We headed North west to Bellevue,Ben Avon and the icing on the cake was Sewickley.....wow! A drive into the South hills convinced us we had found our favorite area. Dormont and Green Tree we REALLY liked but Mt Lebanon seems like it has it all. Mt Washingtons views are truly increadable and looking down 60 feet below we saw a deer grazing.We did take a wrong turn and ended up in Allentown which had me worried but we found our way through. The best part of the trip we found almost every where we traveled....the people, Pittsburghers seem very down to earth,nice and extremely helpful. Pittsburgh is a great city that almost seems abandoned at times ,is Sports CRAZY and that's right up my alley. I think I could go on and on about what I Love and put in a short sentence what I don't care for. My wife and I were afraid we would make it to Pittsburgh and hate it but the only thing we hated was having to board the plane and leave.We will be back.....with all of our stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 03:11 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,164,673 times
Good to hear! You have found some great place in Pittsburgh to live and I bet the older buildings of Pittsburgh (which we don't think of at all here in daily life) is a big difference from much of California. There are some shady neighborhoods in Pittsburgh scattered through the area but they are usually small portions of the city and you won't find miles of ghettos here like in some cities.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:29 PM

15 posts, read 18,103 times
So happy to hear such wonderful statements about Pittsburgh! It's both mine and my husband's home town, & we're BIG fans. I grew up in dormont, my husband in Moon twnship. Sewickley is where he went to high school though, @ the S. Academy. Beautiful spot!

We're Living in Orlando now, (for work purposes alone) and whew...when the burgh's in your blood, this is tough! WOW...coming from Calif., you'll find TONS of differences, but it sounds like you've really embraced it's authenticity and unique-ness. BRAVO...and yeah, it truly is "someplace special"! Love that you loved it! Best to you both! Be well...

Old 10-16-2012, 03:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,133,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2pitt View Post
We will be back.....with all of our stuff
Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-16-2012, 09:43 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,043,149 times
I'm glad you enjoyed it--and congrats on packing in so much!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:46 PM

461 posts, read 749,514 times
I get a bit misty when I read these glowing posts about Pittsburgh - I'm proud to call our city home, and glad that other people appreciate it. Good luck with the move and all that entails!

e

Old 10-17-2012, 08:24 AM

733 posts, read 988,214 times
Very cool.

Watch out for those deer, though. They're always stealing the pears from my tree! Deer crime is a serious issue in certain PGH neighborhoods, hahahaha.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:27 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,812,994 times
So glad you loved our new city. Come back again soon

Old 10-18-2012, 06:19 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,063,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
I get a bit misty when I read these glowing posts about Pittsburgh - I'm proud to call our city home, and glad that other people appreciate it. Good luck with the move and all that entails!

e
yea, i know! it puts me back at equilibrium those days when i think i hate this place and wish i didnt move back here. like most places, you have to take the daily irritations, keep perspective of the broad picture and really think about how lucky we are - to live in most places in this country, actually, not just pittsburgh.

but - that praise coming from a west coast person, too! i am enamored w/ the west coast and have a list of about probably 150 places id like to visit there. the midwest, too (s. dakota, wyoming, idaho, colorado).

Old 10-18-2012, 01:25 PM

89 posts, read 202,732 times
In California there are so many laws and "handholding" to keep people from harming themselves but in Pittsburgh it seemed common sense is used. An example is along the North Shore people can walk right up to the water and in California there is usually a fence of some type.So nice not to be Policed as much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh