Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
I did indeed have a good experience with the birth. Being an hour away for that was not a big deal at all (and I had to be induced, so there was no chance of me not getting to the hospital in time.) But I had some issues afterwards, and that's where I ran into problems, because when I needed to get referrals from my doctor to deal with them, lo and behold, all the people they knew were near the baby hospital.
First, the OP will be able to get referrals nearer to her home. Pittsburgh's metro isn't big like Atlanta. Many Pittsburgh doctors have offices near Cranberry, which isn't far from where the OP lives. All the doctors in Oakland know these doctors. Most of these doctors have offices in Oakland AND Cranberry. Secondly, most people have husbands or friends who can drive them to pick up a pump or pick it up for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
When I needed to rent a hospital-grade pump, that was at the baby hospital. What was not a big deal when I was pregnant became a very big deal when I was unable to drive after a C-section, feeling like crap, schlepping a newborn around, and having to be either at the hospital or nearby about once a week for the first few months.
I had a C-section. It wasn't a big deal. I think I got off easy compared to people who delivered vaginally. When I couldn't drive, I didn't leave the house. If I needed something, my husband would go get it. You're talking one trip to the hospital to get a pump, maybe two if the first one is defective. That's not a valid reason to not go to the hospital she prefers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 12:00 PM

606 posts, read 943,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I had a C-section. It wasn't a big deal. I think I got off easy compared to people who delivered vaginally. When I couldn't drive, I didn't leave the house. If I needed something, my husband would go get it. You're talking one trip to the hospital to get a pump, maybe two if the first one is defective. That's not a valid reason to not go to the hospital she prefers.
The pump wasn't the main issue that caused the logistical hassles (that was only a few trips --one to get the pump, one to replace said pump since it was defective, one to return it when I was done, and by that time I was driving again); it was the other medical issues (both on my side and a little on the kiddo's side) that I'd rather not go into detail about here . Suffice it to say that I ended up spending a lot of time around that hospital for the first month or so. The C-section recovery was physically not bad but at the time my husband had a pretty brutal work commute and long hours, and until I could drive days when I had to be on that side of town ended up being very long for both of us -- out of the house by 5:30 a.m. with the baby, home around 8:00 p.m. if we were lucky.

Like I said, this was my experience and it convinced me not to go with a hospital that wasn't close to my home, especially since in my case some of those issues would've been likely to recur on a subsequent pregnancy. I am well aware that plenty of people do it and it's fine!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Like I said, the way Pittsburgh's metro is set up, the doctors won't have any problem whatsoever referring her to doctors closer to her house.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:10 PM

97 posts, read 105,570 times
I called Magee and they told me I can switch to them within the first thirty weeks.. So I guess I will visit my local doctor until then
BUT when I asked for an appointment she told me that your first visit should be after 9 weeks.. So shall I stay the first two months without taking the vitamins and those stuff they usually prescribe for pregnants?

Old 10-23-2012, 02:16 PM

Call your doctor's office to schedule the appointment. If your doctor prefers to wait until the 8th or 9th week, they'll tell you. Even if you have to wait, you should schedule now so you can get an appointment in time. In the meantime, eat healthy and take regularly daily vitamins.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:00 PM

97 posts, read 105,570 times
Thanks a lot dear Hopes for your kindness answering all my concerns

Old 10-23-2012, 06:10 PM

You're welcome. Remember to join a Lamaze class. You'll receive lots of guidance and support there.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:36 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,250 times
You should start taking a prenatal vitamin as soon as possible. There are brands that are sold over the counter, so you don't need to wait until you see the doctor. Be sure to choose a reputable brand and be sure to follow the directions on the label. The most importantly, the supplement should have plenty of Folic Acid. Please consult some kind of resource, like the book "What to Expect While You are Expecting," to learn more about what steps you can take to give your growing baby optimal nutrition.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
You should start taking a prenatal vitamin as soon as possible. There are brands that are sold over the counter, so you don't need to wait until you see the doctor. Be sure to choose a reputable brand and be sure to follow the directions on the label. The most importantly, the supplement should have plenty of Folic Acid. Please consult some kind of resource, like the book "What to Expect While You are Expecting," to learn more about what steps you can take to give your growing baby optimal nutrition.
I didn't know they were available OTC. Yes, definitely take them now.

The OP can ask the pharmacist for recommendations on the most reputable brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh