U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 PM

7 posts, read 18,285 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

This board was super helpful when first moving out here, so I figured I'd stop back for some more help.

My wife and I are looking to purchase a home in the 130-160k range. We like the south hills (mt lebo, upper st clair, etc) and also like the north (even as far as north as cranberry). The issue is, I travel downtown for work and she travels to Shadyside/Oakland everyday. Where should we look that would be convenient to both areas? Neither of us is a big fan of riding the bus (sorry), though I would be willing to take the T downtown from the south hills. I just worry that the commute from the south hills to oakland everyday would be too painful.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 05:35 PM

43,012 posts, read 97,145,624 times
Fox Chapel or Shaler. Both are very convenient to downtown and Oakland because they are close to the Highland Park Bridge (for Oakland) and right next to Route 28 (for Downtown). You'll have more luck finding something in your price range in Shaler than Fox Chapel but you might luck out and find something in Aspinwall or other parts of Fox Chapel School District.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 PM

31,341 posts, read 69,955,714 times
I keep hearing about how "convenient" the Highland Park Bridge is to Oakland, but can someone please elaborate upon this for me? I know from personal experience that there are often heavy delays getting across the Highland Park Bridge outbound via Washington Boulevard OR North Negley Avenue (past the zoo) during the evening rush hour, and I've personally seen congestion on Route 28 inbound before the bridge exit during the morning rush. Once you get across the bridge you still have a couple of miles until you're in Oakland, too. I wonder if taking the 40th Street Bridge into Lawrenceville and then cutting up to the Bloomfield Bridge and then Bigelow Boulevard into the heart of Oakland wouldn't be quicker?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Well, the advantage is that you have three options. 40th, 62nd and Highland Park bridges. I come from Route 8 so it's faster to head North on 28 to the Highland Park Bridge. Getting onto it going north is a breeze. Coming home, it's often backed up in the right lane on Allegheny River Blvd to get onto the bridge. Even though it does move quickly and once you're on the bridge it's a breeze, I often bypass the Highland Park Bridge and head down to the 62nd Street Bridge to shoot directly onto Route 8.

I know Oakland is a few miles away from the river but it's super easy to get there. Without traffic in the middle of the night, it takes mere minutes. During rush hour, it takes about 15 minutes. When you drive the area enough, you get a feel for the right routes to take during certain times of the day.

If you're living in Millvale, the 40th Street Bridge would be the most logical route. If you're living in Etna, the 62nd Street bridge would be the most logical. If you're living in Aspinwall, Highland Park Bridge would be the most logical. From all of these towns, you don't need to get onto Route 28 to access the bridges.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:38 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,389,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I keep hearing about how "convenient" the Highland Park Bridge is to Oakland, but can someone please elaborate upon this for me? I know from personal experience that there are often heavy delays getting across the Highland Park Bridge outbound via Washington Boulevard OR North Negley Avenue (past the zoo) during the evening rush hour, and I've personally seen congestion on Route 28 inbound before the bridge exit during the morning rush. Once you get across the bridge you still have a couple of miles until you're in Oakland, too. I wonder if taking the 40th Street Bridge into Lawrenceville and then cutting up to the Bloomfield Bridge and then Bigelow Boulevard into the heart of Oakland wouldn't be quicker?
Outbound you are most likely taking Negley to the Highland Park Bridge. They have been inspecting the bridge recently so you may encounter some traffic gonig to work from that.

You also have to remember that other routes have traffic too.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:43 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,389,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewResident27 View Post
Hi everyone,

This board was super helpful when first moving out here, so I figured I'd stop back for some more help.

My wife and I are looking to purchase a home in the 130-160k range. We like the south hills (mt lebo, upper st clair, etc) and also like the north (even as far as north as cranberry). The issue is, I travel downtown for work and she travels to Shadyside/Oakland everyday. Where should we look that would be convenient to both areas? Neither of us is a big fan of riding the bus (sorry), though I would be willing to take the T downtown from the south hills. I just worry that the commute from the south hills to oakland everyday would be too painful.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

With your budget you really are going to have a tough time with the "nicer" suburbs. Also, I think you will be happier with the house if you are open to spending your max amont as opposed to sticking to your minimum budget.

I would look at some houses in Aspinwall to see if there is anything within your budget that you can live with. Occasionally, there are some houses there for less than 150,000 but they are few and far between and there is usually a problem (eg. not updated, close to Freeport Road, etc.) Also, sometimes there are smaller houses on Valley Drive (in O'Hara) that might be in your price range.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,539,213 times
That price range is going to be tough in your preferred communities. However, some areas where you can find houses and avoid the worst of tunnel traffic would be Crafton, Greenfield, Dormont, Stanton Heights, Morningside, Ross and Shaler. Although the last two might be tougher slog to Shadyside.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 AM

I disagree. Crafton and Dormont will be tougher commutes to Shadyside than Shaler.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 AM

1,893 posts, read 2,101,404 times
The commute over the 40th and 62th st. bridges gets clogged up because there is contruction on rte 28. Once that's done it will be faster commute.

I have to agree with Hopes. driving through the fort pitt tunnel in the morning is way worse that occasionally congestion on highland park bridge. The tunnel is congested every day. Highland park bridge once in a while due to construction.

From crafton to Oakland though the commute might not be as bad because it doesn't go through the tunnel if she can cross the bridge and hop on blvd of allies and then in oaklnad.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:28 AM

24,446 posts, read 26,346,185 times
There are ways to drive to Oakland from Dormont and Brookline that wouldn't involve the Ft. Pitt Tunnel. I live in Beechview and work in Oakland and my commute is always less than 30 minutes (which I don't think is too shabby during rush hour.) I only go through Ft. Pitt on summer Fridays, since there's never any traffic then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or