Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:39 PM

441 posts, read 766,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfox View Post
Hi spitale,

Walnut Capital is a pet-friendly landlord in Squirrel Hill that has several groups of townhouses. You could try calling and asking about price- they may be out of your budget, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Here's one:

Squirrel Hill Townhomes - Walnut on Forbes - Walnut Capital - Pittsburgh's Best Properties
Considering the rent I used to pay for a two bedroom Walnut Capital apartment, there's no way in hell they're going to have a townhome in Sq. Hill available for $1200.

OP, I have to agree with Hopes here. Finding a a three bedroom rental that allows large dogs, is in a premium neighborhood, and charges around $1200 rent is going to be damn near impossible. Stop being so picky. Sorry if that's blunt, but I'm not sugarcoating the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 05:55 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
No. The South Hills isn't a bad area.

It's just a terrible commute to McKnight Road (same with Forrest Hills, Penn Hills and Monroeville).

It's best to stay north of the Ohio and Allegheny rivers if possible.
I believe she means "The Residences at South Hills" aka Leland Point in Baldwin. And to the OP - that area is not a very nice area. Its always been rundown and with questionable tenants. Not to mention the terrible commute to McKnight

Old 10-23-2012, 06:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
My assumption is that Hopes thought you meant the "South Hills" like the set of southern suburbs poised to the apartment complex formerly known as Leland Point.
Honestly Idk... I wouldn't be surprised if these "new" apartments haven't change at all dispite that their under new management again. Personally if I were u I would drive through the area to see if things seemed up to snuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I believe she means "The Residences at South Hills" aka Leland Point in Baldwin. And to the OP - that area is not a very nice area. Its always been rundown and with questionable tenants. Not to mention the terrible commute to McKnight
Uptown is right. I misunderstood. I thought the OP meant the greater southern suburbs of Pittsburgh. Thanks for catching my mistake!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 PM

62 posts, read 80,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post

OP, I have to agree with Hopes here. Finding a a three bedroom rental that allows large dogs, is in a premium neighborhood, and charges around $1200 rent is going to be damn near impossible. Stop being so picky. Sorry if that's blunt, but I'm not sugarcoating the truth.
I appreciate the help that everyone has provided. I asked for advice on all options and stated the budget we would like to stay within also noting that we knew that was pretty much impossible and we are aware of that. I never stated that we were only looking in premium neighborhoods, just the type of neighborhoods we were used to in the hopes that someone could provide us with more information on other areas that were similar and more affordable.

I'd greatly appreciate it if everyone would refrain from the rude comments. It doesn't help an already stressful situation. Thank you.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 PM

Tirade wasn't rude. She was being honest.

Where are you moving here from? Pittsburghers are very direct people.

Not passive aggressive people, Pittsburghers will tell you what's on their minds.

I hope you can handle it because Pittsburghers are also very friendly and welcoming people too.

I know you don't feel you are being picky because you're not trying to find the best neighborhood, just what you're used to.

Unfortunately, it's going to be very difficult, if not impossible, to find what you're used to in your price range.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:07 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,545 times
Here are a couple of options up the Allegheny river. One is in Oakmont, which sounds like a great place for you, and one is in Creighton - a small town right on the river. For both, it would be about a 20-30 minute commute to McKnight Road (depends on how far north your work is):

Single Family Home

Cute 1920's Craftsman near Springdale and Natrona Heights

In addition to what's been mentioned, I'd also look for places in Cheswick, Springdale, Harmar (Harmarville) and Blawnox (though I don't see anything there on Craigslist at the moment).

Old 10-24-2012, 05:22 AM

I highly recommend Oakmont. It's the perfect little town. If you loved Sewickley, you'll like Oakmont. It's not on the same level, but it's just a nice river town with a great business district. Very walkable. Very safe. Clean. Your husband will like Oakmont.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:13 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
It's good you already have two agents looking for you but if I were you I'd drive through all the places of interest and look for "For rent" signs. I am not sure if all these people advertise on craiglist. I know an elder couple who put signs in fron of their sq hill property. I doubt they know what craiglist is.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:06 PM

62 posts, read 80,338 times
Thanks for the last few comments! I'll check them out.

The good news is that we had a couple look at our current home this morning! Keeping fingers crossed that they will rent it.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 4,176 times
My husband and I are in a similar situation. We have a four year old daughter and a dog. Our budget is under a thousand. The problem we are running into is that we own a German Shepherd. She is well behaved and trained, but most places have breed restrictions. Sorry to jump on your forum thread, but I am new to this site and didn't know how to start my own thread. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh