Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 07:12 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,203,280 times

Advertisements

As a tourist attraction, I think the idea of water taxis has something to say for it.

But it just isn't very practical for regular transportation needs, having to walk all the way down to the river from your point of origin and all the way back up from the river at your destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 07:48 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,946,289 times
Today would've been a fine day to use a water taxi :-)

Old 10-29-2012, 11:33 PM

62 posts, read 98,471 times
When I lived in London, I loved taking the Thames Clippper. Although I only used it for touring (and not to commute to work) since London has one of the most extensive rail/subway transport system (yay for the Tube!). If the city of Pittsburgh used something like the Clipper, just image stops such as North Shore, Lawrenceville/Millvale, Aspinwall, and Oakmount along the Allegheny, and Station Square, South Side Works, Waterfront, and Kennywood along the Monogahela.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog808 View Post
If the city of Pittsburgh used something like the Clipper, just image stops such as North Shore, Lawrenceville/Millvale, Aspinwall, and Oakmount along the Allegheny, and Station Square, South Side Works, Waterfront, and Kennywood along the Monogahela.
You're forgetting that our rivers have damns and locks.

It wouldn't be fast. It takes forever to go through a lock because the boat pulls in and then the water is adjusted up or down for the boat to continue on its journey.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:22 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
As a tourist attraction, I think the idea of water taxis has something to say for it.
The various river cruise operators pretty much have that covered, with enough economies of scale that I doubt a taxi service could compete effectively on fares.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 AM

Just to give some idea of speed, the Thames Clipper does Greenwich to London Bridge, approximately 6 miles, in about 23 minutes. Downtown to Oakmont is about twice that distance, so figure around 45 minutes or so. Station Square to Kennywood is just a bit less, so call it around 40 minutes or so.

These aren't really competitive times, in my view. The basic problem is that outside of rush hour, Pittsburgh traffic isn't anything like London or NYC traffic, so tourists find it pretty easy to get around by car, and even at rush hour, you need to do very well on time and cost to attract a large number of commuters away from cars.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Just to give some idea of speed, the Thames Clipper does Greenwich to London Bridge, approximately 6 miles, in about 23 minutes. Downtown to Oakmont is about twice that distance, so figure around 45 minutes or so. Station Square to Kennywood is just a bit less, so call it around 40 minutes or so.
Add an extra 15 to 20 minutes to go through the locks.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,203,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The various river cruise operators pretty much have that covered, with enough economies of scale that I doubt a taxi service could compete effectively on fares.
Taxi service would provide a more individualized kind of sightseeing experience. You're right it would undoubtably cost more, but there is a market for balloon rides depending on what the tourists want and what they want to pay.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Taxi service would provide a more individualized kind of sightseeing experience. You're right it would undoubtably cost more, but there is a market for balloon rides depending on what the tourists want and what they want to pay.
It sounds like you are more talking about a charter boat service. I believe Pittsburgh Water Limo offers that sort of service, along with various smaller boat owners.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Add an extra 15 to 20 minutes to go through the locks.
Oh right--I forgot there are locks just short of the Highland Park Bridge. However, I believe you could get to Kennywood without going through the Braddock locks.

Unfortunately, I was thinking that maybe an express service from Oakmont/Verona would be the most competitive possibility, at least prior to there being commuter rail service on the AVR, but the locks kill that idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh