Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 04:53 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Uneventful. Everyone was super nice, but nobody laughed at my stupid jokes.
The outrage! Better contact the Allegheny County ACLU!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:04 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Only three voting machines? Must be a small polling station. How do you guys have such low numbers? Where did you get these numbers from?
When I signed in I saw my name written on a list. 337 was the number to the left of my name.

I'm pretty sure Pennsylvania voting precincts, especially in the urban areas, are very localized. I have a sample of two, though. In Connecticut, I voted further away from home. The place I was at had probably 40 voting booths at the time. Here, as I said, there were 3. There are usually about 6 at my parents polling place in a northeastern suburb of Pittsburgh.

Does anyone know if PA has more polling locations per capita than other states? I guess you'd have to also include a per square mileage indicator in there as well. Rural states will, by nature, have more locations per capita.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:24 PM

482 posts, read 1,233,832 times
Here's my story:

No line at the polling place I went to at Sunnyside elementary school. Being a first time voted in the district, I was fully prepared to show ID. The young lady found me in the book and pointed where to sign. The signature line states clearly "ID REQUIRED". The worker did NOT ask to see my ID until I pointed it out to her. She looked like it was an inconvenience for her to follow procedures. I voted, then brought the issue up to the election judge on the way out. He also looked at me like I was inconveniencing him.

I'm not suggesting any kind of fraud was going on, but it annoys me when the workers are oblivious to the current, long time laws in place. The next election with the new ID law is going to be interesting, to say the least.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Does anyone know if PA has more polling locations per capita than other states?
No idea, but Allegheny County has a lot. Not the most, but a lot.
Nullspace: Allegheny tops Cook County

Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It might be hard to have this not turn to politics, but I thought it would be interesting if forumers shared their own voting experiences.

Went down to the Teamster Temple at around 7:15. There are three precincts within my polling place. Usually it's pretty sleepy - it was even in 2008. But this year it was packed. I dunno if this is an effect of election interest increasing locally, or the changes which have happened in Lawrenceville over the past four years. I was the 17th person to vote in my precinct.

I was at the same voting venue at 5:45, and walked right up, no line, parked right in front of the place.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:35 PM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times
Went to our North Fayette polling place at 6pm this evening, there are 2 districts voting in each side of the same building. We've been in lines in the past but tonight... wow, there were at least 50-60 people in each line at any given time we were waiting. The guy at the door was admitting 5-6 people at a time and said the lines had never let up the entire day. The lines moved steadily, but we waited 45 min outside. Parking was at a premium.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:40 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Call me an old guy, which I am, just glad to see so many on this Forum voted.

Don't vote, don't b itch.

ha ha ha I beat YAC

Old 11-06-2012, 06:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
Here's my story:

No line at the polling place I went to at Sunnyside elementary school. Being a first time voted in the district, I was fully prepared to show ID. The young lady found me in the book and pointed where to sign. The signature line states clearly "ID REQUIRED". The worker did NOT ask to see my ID until I pointed it out to her. She looked like it was an inconvenience for her to follow procedures. I voted, then brought the issue up to the election judge on the way out. He also looked at me like I was inconveniencing him.

I'm not suggesting any kind of fraud was going on, but it annoys me when the workers are oblivious to the current, long time laws in place. The next election with the new ID law is going to be interesting, to say the least.
It sounds like your election workers have a political leaning. Same with the polling stations where people were given a hard time about IDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Call me an old guy, which I am, just glad to see so many on this Forum voted.
I'm impressed with the forum participation too.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the type of people who hang out here are more likely to be politically involved.

People who aren't involved would be less likely to enjoy spending their spare time posting about local issues on CD.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Pennsylvania's electoral votes just went for President Obama. I have a hunch he'll win re-election since the remaining votes to be counted in Florida are primarily in Miami-Dade County (heavily Democratic), and he's also winning in Ohio right now. Romney can't win while losing Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:56 PM

225 posts, read 299,736 times
This was my first time voting here, no ID requested, everyone seemed really bored and just wanted to go home by the look of it (I don't blame them)

In and out in two minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh