Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 07:05 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
How long does a project like this take?
Don't know, but from looks of things it's going to take some time to tear down the Consol building currently on the site. Upper St. Clair doesn't like a lot of noise and dust, y'know.

I'm going to hate to see that helipad go. Although in 10 years here only saw it used once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
There will soon be a total of FIVE upscale grocers along a one-mile stretch of Washington Road.

1.) Trader Joe's
2.) Whole Foods
3.) Fresh Market
4.) Market District
5.) Earth Fare Market

I really wish my increasingly cost-prohibitive neighborhood could at least get ONE decent business, let alone FIVE upscale grocers in a cluster!
Earth Fare is a new one on me. Where's that going?

Old 11-08-2012, 07:13 PM

441 posts, read 765,882 times
Quote:
There will soon be a total of FIVE upscale grocers along a one-mile stretch of Washington Road.

1.) Trader Joe's
2.) Whole Foods
3.) Fresh Market
4.) Market District
5.) Earth Fare Market

I really wish my increasingly cost-prohibitive neighborhood could at least get ONE decent business, let alone FIVE upscale grocers in a cluster!
I'd rather have a good Target or Walmart in the South Hills area than five upscale grocers. The Trader Joe's and the huge Market District there more than meet my needs. Getting to Target or Walmart is a pain in the butt, though. At least the East End has a Target, Market District, and Trader Joe's all located near each other.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:14 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Earth Fare is a new one on me. Where's that going?
It still has to be approved by Upper St. Clair, but I see no reason why a municipality would NOT want another upstanding business on its tax rolls. It will be in the former Dick's Sporting Goods location in South Hills Village. It will be the chain's first PA store. It was briefly referenced in this article:

http://triblive.com/business/headlin...#axzz2BgS2BGZj

Old 11-08-2012, 07:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
At least the East End has a Target, Market District, and Trader Joe's all located near each other.
Yeah, but there's nowhere I can buy a gallon of milk, bag of chips, toilet paper, or a loaf of bread in my neighborhood. All I ask for in Polish Hill is a tiny convenience store selling these things and nothing else. Well, maybe Sarris candy bars too.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
I'd rather have a good Target or Walmart in the South Hills area than five upscale grocers. The Trader Joe's and the huge Market District there more than meet my needs. Getting to Target or Walmart is a pain in the butt, though. At least the East End has a Target, Market District, and Trader Joe's all located near each other.
Target already has its bullseye logo up on the former Boscov's in SHV. Seems it won't be long now.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 PM

441 posts, read 765,882 times
Quote:
Yeah, but there's nowhere I can buy a gallon of milk, bag of chips, toilet paper, or a loaf of bread in my neighborhood. All I ask for in Polish Hill is a tiny convenience store selling these things and nothing else. Well, maybe Sarris candy bars too.
Sounds like an obvious to place put in a convenience store. I wonder why nobody has. Zoning issues? No space to put it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Target already has its bullseye logo up on the former Boscov's in SHV. Seems it won't be long now.
That's very encouraging news. I had no idea there was one going in there.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I love market district. Whole foods in Ny was expensive as was trader Joe's. Just love the fact that I can get some chocolate from home.
How do you figure Trader Joes is expensive? I think it is one of the cheapest grocery stores in our region, unless you want to compare it to Aldi. For many things Trader Joes is cheaper than Walmart and certainly much better. Whole Foods and Giant Eagle are way more expensive than a Trader Joes.

Anyway, the South Hills is a populated area and people need to eat. I think these new grocery stores are realizing Pittsburgh is a great market because Giant Eagle is so expensive and really not very good.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I love market district.
I do, too. They've lowered their price on St. Andre to $10.99/lb. For whatever reason, Giant Eagle has historically had the highest prices on cheese of any store in town. St. Andre used to be $22/lb. at Market District, compared to $9.99 at Whole Foods and $12.99 at Penn Mac. Since Market District is my local, I'll be eating a bit more St. Andre than I had been.

Also, I had a surprisingly good pizza at the Market District (in Shadyside, btw) the other day. It was just a plain cheese pizza, 9", I think, for $3.99. It's more reminiscent of the pizza I grew up eating in New Jersey than anything I've had in decades. I will be returning for it.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:13 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times
I've always wondered why there isn't a Walmart Supercenter near the core of the South Hills (USC, Lebo, Bethel Park) aside from the fact that maybe there's no convenient place to put it. However, when I read an article about this Whole Foods opening and I read that residents of USC were concerned with what types of people this WF would attract to their community, I realized most residents will never want a Walmart Supercenter near them because of the type of people it will attract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh