Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 04:44 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackxp View Post
PMSC is probably the least fuddy of the area clubs, at least as far as shooting goes. The meetings can sometimes carry on a bit past their usefulness. Also any range you go to in the month's ahead of hunting season will have a higher fudd count.

PMSC has no mag capacity restrictions, you can draw from holsters (except at the indoor range), they have pistol ranges with steel setup at 25 yards (some steel at intermediate distances). Rifle ranges are 50, 100, 200, and 300 yards. In addition to trap and skeet ranges PMSC also has 13 practical bays of various sizes for pistol and rifle. There is a 180 degree shoot house, but I think its tore down as of this posting.

The SGL has gotten better since the permit requirement. But it still does not beat a members only range.

Range Report Wexford SGL
Yep, the Fudds don't control the PMSC anymore, so it probably is one of the best ranges in the Pgh area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 08:13 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&J O'Rourke View Post

Anyone know of any other/better ranges here in the Pittsburgh area? I shoot rifle and pistol, no shotgun, prefer there to be no limitations on firing rate/magazine capacity like the SGL ranges have, and plan on picking up at least one full-auto toy in the next few years, probably a .22LR Uzi or something else cheap and fun, so that's a consideration for the future as well.
Um, how do you plan on doing that? Full autos have been banned for sale or transfer since 1986, and owning one requires a federal license, which you likely are not going to get.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:12 PM

225 posts, read 299,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Um, how do you plan on doing that? Full autos have been banned for sale or transfer since 1986, and owning one requires a federal license, which you likely are not going to get.
You can transfer any registered pre-86 gun with the same $200 NFA tax stamp you use for a suppressor, short barreled rifle, or short barreled shotgun. It's an annoying bit of paperwork to do, and the wait is between 4-8 weeks, and I really don't like the idea of paying the extra $200, but it's in no way a challenge.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
You can transfer any registered pre-86 gun with the same $200 NFA tax stamp you use for a suppressor, short barreled rifle, or short barreled shotgun. It's an annoying bit of paperwork to do, and the wait is between 4-8 weeks, and I really don't like the idea of paying the extra $200, but it's in no way a challenge.
I thought they closed that loophole? Last I looked transfers were not even allowed unless you were an LEO. Is that not the case? Anyway, if you can find one it will not be cheap.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I thought they closed that loophole? Last I looked transfers were not even allowed unless you were an LEO. Is that not the case? Anyway, if you can find one it will not be cheap.
It's... not a loophole. There are just no more guns being added to the registry. What's there is there. If they all break, there's no more.

And do you really think that after I'm the one explaining how it works to you that I don't understand the amount of money I'm going to be spending on this endeavor? I already have thousands of dollars in firearms, thousands of rounds of ammunition for each caliber I shoot, I carry every day. A little barrier like money isn't going to get in the way of my fun.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
It's... not a loophole. There are just no more guns being added to the registry. What's there is there. If they all break, there's no more.

And do you really think that after I'm the one explaining how it works to you that I don't understand the amount of money I'm going to be spending on this endeavor? I already have thousands of dollars in firearms, thousands of rounds of ammunition for each caliber I shoot, I carry every day. A little barrier like money isn't going to get in the way of my fun.
When I bought an AK about seven years ago the owner of the gun shop said that even transfers were not permitted anymore. A quick online search confirmed that. I had been sniffing around for a full auto at the time but that pretty much ended my search. Maybe I will start searching again for a new toy.

Sorry, wasn't implying anything, but you were the one that mentioned "cheap". So I guess it depends on what your definition of cheap is. Even a semi-auto Uzi can be over a grand, I can't imagine what a full auto would cost even if you could find one.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:32 AM

~$6-9k. Cheap, for a full-auto. M16/AR15 pattern rifles start around $16-18k.

And never listen to gun store owners or workers, they're the least informed people when it comes to guns, and they just want to sell you what's in their display cabinet, not actually do any work.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:33 AM

275 posts, read 628,223 times
Good gun store is Gun Safe in Verona. Alex is a heck of a nice guy and loves to talk guns. No pressure. I believe he is expanding his store. Hit the gun shows and you can see lots of firearms and learn a lot.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Last night, the 400 block of Stanton Avenue.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
Good gun store is Gun Safe in Verona. Alex is a heck of a nice guy and loves to talk guns. No pressure. I believe he is expanding his store. Hit the gun shows and you can see lots of firearms and learn a lot.
Alex can go crap in his shoes and wear them to a parade.

But I haven't liked him since long before he opened his gun store...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh