Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:04 PM

69 posts, read 80,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Okay, I am going to be anal and point out that most of the homes in the South Side are from the Victorian era, but you are right that most do not look like this, because they are the brick or frame row-homes in Italianate styles. This home was built later than a lot of the row-homes in the South Side Flats. Many of the homes on the Slopes, and in Allentown / Beltzhoover, probably looked similar to this in their prime, before the aluminum siding salesman came along. It is a very rare example of a frame home that retained its original exterior trim.
And I love that. There is another larger one behind mine and if its there, I might tackle it after mine. For me it's not the money, but money over time. If I invest 3-4k a month for 2-3 years... it would be an amazing place. As for selling, it remains to be seen what the future holds.

I'm modeling the house in a computer now for many reasons, once I get it done... I'll post some examples and possibly use it for paint ideas.

alleghenyangel or others... What is that area of town like.... Be blunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
First off, I want to thank you for seeing the potential in a structure that most others would probably write off as a candidate for demolition. We live in a very historic city, and when a grand older edifice is destroyed and replaced by a modern-looking vinyl-sided townhome on the same lot it more often than not sticks out like a sore thumb in the neighborhood (see Herron Avenue near Dobson Street in Polish Hill as a point of reference).

I echo the sentiments of others who encourage you to take your time and do everything right! South Side is an area where property values are red hot, and with a noticeable lack of Victorian-themed homes there I can GUARANTEE a restored Victorian would fetch a pretty penny if you were looking to resell once your project is completed.

I moved to Pittsburgh from Northern Virginia partially because I desired the density of historic housing stock that Northern Virginia (outside the Beltway) just didn't have. The only place there that pacified me was Winchester, and even though it is now pretty much an exurb it was still by no means easily commutable back to the more immediate DC Metro on a daily basis. I tear up a bit (in a good way) when I see someone with the ambition and desire to save one of the city's historic treasures from the bulldozer. If anyone is exceptionally geared for a challenge there are two long-vacant rowhomes across the street from me in Polish Hill. Considering the only other two homes on the market as of late have been pushing $300,000 a well-done renovation could fetch you a pretty penny. I'd consider undertaking one (or both) myself since I'm pretty handy, but I'm just barely keeping my head above the poverty line the way it is.
Thanks and what are the other property addresses or pics?

Old 11-11-2012, 11:12 PM

27 posts, read 27,481 times
Hiyas. I'm here to affirm what he's saying. I'm tnwebwise's significant other. We've also looked into multiple other alternatives for the lead paint issue, and have found several different ones out there--everything from special penetrating sealants, to heatstripping, etc. Depending on which one we're choosing, I've tallied it up being anywhere from 1k to 2.5k in cost, due to the pricing issues of the paints or hardware.

Beats about 45k, let me tell you.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Oh you are definately not nuts. I am jealous, so jealous that you can do this. Please post pics every now and then and let us know how you are doing.
Well, thanks!!!

I'll be working on the website and cross posting here too. I might have a "Come help us Restore her" and/or donations thing... what do you all think? Would any of you all like to help us?

Old 11-12-2012, 12:57 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Is it Allentown or Beltzhoover? Neither is considered good, but I know decent people who have lived in both neighborhoods. I am in McKees Rocks / Stowe, and I don't think it's any better, really. They both have a lot of blight, and Beltzhoover has a lot of violent crime problems. It wouldn't deter me, but it's not a neighborhood for everyone.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:00 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnwebwise View Post
Well, thanks!!!

I'll be working on the website and cross posting here too. I might have a "Come help us Restore her" and/or donations thing... what do you all think? Would any of you all like to help us?
I'll gladly help out. That is, if I don't have my own "I must be nuts" Victorian fixer upper very soon.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 AM

27 posts, read 27,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Is it Allentown or Beltzhoover? Neither is considered good, but I know decent people who have lived in both neighborhoods. I am in McKees Rocks / Stowe, and I don't think it's any better, really. They both have a lot of blight, and Beltzhoover has a lot of violent crime problems. It wouldn't deter me, but it's not a neighborhood for everyone.
From what the two of us can tell, it's actually Allentown. While the neighborhood isn't incredible, neither is it horrible. It's got quite a few working class folks there, no bars on the doors, and when TNWebwise and I were looking at the house itself, it was largely undisturbed (knock on wood).

If there was vandalism, the house would've been in MUCH worse condition, instead we've got an extremely solid skeleton of the house that we're looking at and speculating about.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecoonie View Post
Hiyas. I'm here to affirm what he's saying. I'm tnwebwise's significant other. We've also looked into multiple other alternatives for the lead paint issue, and have found several different ones out there--everything from special penetrating sealants, to heatstripping, etc. Depending on which one we're choosing, I've tallied it up being anywhere from 1k to 2.5k in cost, due to the pricing issues of the paints or hardware.

Beats about 45k, let me tell you.
Why not just paint over the lead paint? That seems like the cheapest option (free, assuming you'll be painting anyway), and is pretty standard practice.

Will you guys be doing this full time for several months, or are you trying to do this on nights and weekends? You'll go crazy if you're trying to juggle this with full time jobs, there just isn't enough time in the day! Allentown ain't terrible, but you'll want to lock your tools up well when you leave. Don't want to lose your nail gun compressor or brand new copper piping.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 AM

97 posts, read 165,318 times
I thought I'd hop on this thread because it's of the same tenor of what I'm working for. Currently my family is working on restoring the Wigman House in Carrick. Does anyone have any experience / recommendations for contractors who specialize in porches? Both the front and back porches are in need of repair / replacement and it doesn't make a ton of sense for us to start painting the exerior until the two of them are done.

Specifically, we need some wooden columns replaced and the front porch leveled.

As always, thanks in advance for the help!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:39 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlewis View Post
I thought I'd hop on this thread because it's of the same tenor of what I'm working for. Currently my family is working on restoring the Wigman House in Carrick. Does anyone have any experience / recommendations for contractors who specialize in porches? Both the front and back porches are in need of repair / replacement and it doesn't make a ton of sense for us to start painting the exerior until the two of them are done.

Specifically, we need some wooden columns replaced and the front porch leveled.

As always, thanks in advance for the help!
Deutschtown's community group maintains a list of contractors that residents have used. It's nice because it lists the addresses of homes they have worked on, so you can decide if the work is up to par and similar to what you need.

Pittsburgh’s Deutschtown - an historic neighborhood revitalizing itself close to downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh