Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:43 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,761,808 times

Advertisements

The wild bunch of hard workers can't afford to go anymore. Ticket prices and crazy parking fees are the difference. They are still around, but go out to bars and to be quite honest MOST now stay at home and get together over some beers there. It is all about money and fear of DUI's and so-on. Only business people can afford the games these days and they aren't diehard fans. The diehard fan is at a house party with others with a few 30 packs and snacks in the comfort of their homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 05:17 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,660,783 times
They should start those games earlier, at least at 8:00. I was asleep by halftime.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:20 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,961,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
They should start those games earlier, at least at 8:00. I was asleep by halftime.
I would have been asleep but I can hear the game from my house. They have to keep the games that late for the West Coast audience since 8:30 our time is 5:30 theirs and just gives them time to rush home from work to see the kickoff.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,629,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I would have been asleep but I can hear the game from my house. They have to keep the games that late for the West Coast audience since 8:30 our time is 5:30 theirs and just gives them time to rush home from work to see the kickoff.
One of the things I loved about living on the west coast...i was always able to enjoy the "late" game without hurting the next day. Of course it was weird having games start at 10 am.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,837,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizowner00 View Post
Long gone are the day's of harry the whale and franco's army. Of loud voiced fans not thinking a second about sitting out in mother nature's wrath urging on victory. Of the character fans that helped form a fan base indentity linking industry, hard work and a city's professional sport's teams. Pittsburgh fans are one of the tops in supporting her teams via television viewership and loyal fan bases. But the recently common Pittsburgh action of fans leaving games early manifasted itself at Monday Night's game against Kansas City. Following half time, easily a quarter of fans left their seats followed by a half empty stadium for a fourth quarter. Light rain and temperatures in the 40's for the first half would have been a simple annoying factor for the true fan of the earlier local sports era. Has the face of the Pittsburgh professional sports fan changed over the years? What would Myron say? ' Yoi where has everyone gone'?
It is alot of the same fans, they're just 30 years older now since the steelers seat license stupidity makes it half impossible for season ticket turnover.

Likewise people have real lives that require one to be awake Tuesday morning.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 AM

10,220 posts, read 16,722,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yeah, because that earlier era did not include weekday night games.
People DO have to be at work/school the next morning, you know.

But the league does not care about that....
they make most of their money off of tv anyway. football is generally better on tv and as copanut suggests, most ticket holders are older both because tickets are hard to get and because they're expensive. it's a league-wide development as far as I can tell.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:56 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,761,808 times
I wouldn't say football is better on TV. I used to love going to games now and again. Watching on TV is much more boring than being there.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,478,456 times
I think there has been some turnover for season tickets but the people buying them are usually pretty affluent. Kind of like paying initiation to a country club or buying a boat. A lot of money for only a few days of use. So, you really have to have some money or you really have to be a fan.

There is also the scalpers. Pretty common to buy a full season from a scalper.

Everyone has become soft, from the kids who stay inside to play video games to their parents who would rather watch the game at home. Personally, I think the drunks at the game keep a lot of people away. Especially a night game. A lot of people probably eat their tickets rather then sell them to a drunk because they are friends with the people that sit around them.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:07 AM

110 posts, read 152,036 times
Football is better on T.V. especially with HD and all the slow motion and multiple angles. I still think its a personal choice wether you like T.V. or live at the game. What I do think why we have to sit through 4 or 5 night games every year (I miss 1pm games) is Steeler Nation. We could be 1 and 15 and there would still be good ratings, allowing the networks to get more for their ad time. Why do you think dancing with the stars put Hines Ward on last or nearly last every week. The reason is if he danced 1st a lot of viewers would tune out and ratings would drop. Steeler Nation is for real. I know I lived in VA Beach for 15 years and there were at least 10 Steeler bars and all the sports bars had the Steelers on in their big rooms. Personally I hate the night games and I can walk to the stadium in 15 minutes from my apt. That traffic is murder.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,961,874 times
The nice thing about watching a game on TV is that you can start recording the thing on the DVR, start watching at half-time, fast-forward past the commercials and delays and finish watching right as the game ends. There's so much wasted time during a modern NFL game that I'd rather not spend 3+ hours sitting through it all. Plus, there's only so many lite beer and monster pickup truck commercials that any one person can stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh