Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 03:31 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
According to Meriam-Webster, nope:

I haven't closely followed this thread, so I won't venture to comment on the extent of the name-calling and its racial implications (or lack thereof). But I really hate the way some people subvert the word "racism" to mean "only white people can be racist." I understand the "prejudice plus power" logic, and in fact think that's a great way to explain a number of adjective-modified forms of racism, such as institutionalized racism. However, the implications behind such semantic subversions are clear, and do little but give a "pass" to people like Al Sharpton (and in some people's minds, even Louis Farrakhan). I'm not trying to suggest you buy into the full extent of that; I just really hate that kind of linguistic butchery.
I never said that only whites can be racist; I did say that I don't see any racist statements directed at whites in this thread. As you accuse me of linguistic butchery and semantic subversion, I will simultaneously accuse you of not fully understanding my statements and showing a lack of basic insight. Exhibit A: Your reflexive invocation of Farrakhan and Sharpton.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:49 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I never said that only whites can be racist; I did say that I don't see any racist statements directed at whites in this thread. As you accuse me of linguistic butchery and semantic subversion, I will simultaneously accuse you of not fully understanding my statements and showing a lack of basic insight. Exhibit A: Your reflexive invocation of Farrakhan and Sharpton.
I would naturally assume you feel that as a group, African Americans are still not on equal footing with whites in this country (which I agree with). Hence, if African Americans don't have the dominating degree of power and societal influence, how can they be racist? I mentioned Sharpton because he was among the chief proponents of the "prejudice plus power" definition, and has used it as a shield against inquiry into/criticism of some not-so-savory roles he's played over the years (such as escalating the Crown Heights riot). The mention of Farrakhan's name was purposefully hyperbolic, although I did once hear someone claim he was "not racist" on that basis.

Of course, if you care to spiral further down the sociological rabbit hole and counter that African Americans can have power in the United States, but only in relatively limited, microcosmic contexts (of which this City-Data thread is not one), I'd be happy to come along with you.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I would naturally assume you feel that as a group, African Americans are still not on equal footing with whites in this country (which I agree with).
Yes, I believe that. I also believe that this will not change during my lifetime (and possibly not during the lifetimes of my children).

Quote:
Hence, if African Americans don't have the dominating degree of power and societal influence, how can they be racist?
They can hate. Many do.

Quote:
I mentioned Sharpton because he was among the chief proponents of the "prejudice plus power" definition, and has used it as a shield against inquiry into/criticism of some not-so-savory roles he's played over the years (such as escalating the Crown Heights riot). The mention of Farrakhan's name was purposefully hyperbolic, although I did once hear someone claim he was "not racist" on that basis.

Of course, if you care to spiral further down the sociological rabbit hole and counter that African Americans can have power in the United States, but only in relatively limited, microcosmic contexts (of which this City-Data thread is not one), I'd be happy to come along with you.
I believe that is true; in some limited ways, individual African Americans can adversely affect small numbers of non-African American lives.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
They can hate. Many do.
Fair enough.

Quote:
I believe that is true; in some limited ways, individual African Americans can adversely affect small numbers of non-African American lives.
I also agree.

Moral of the story: we all must take care to choose both our words (and the terms by which we define them) very carefully, lest we bring a City-Data thread woefully off-topic!

Old 11-25-2012, 04:59 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
African Americans are still not on equal footing with whites in this country (which I agree with).
Glad Obama doesn't have time for this stuff. He was too busy working hard from a very average upbringing and getting a good education and.... well becoming a two term president of the US. I have a feeling he would feel there is quite a bit of opportunity out there for black people. It would be very hard to argue against him. Good luck if you get the chance to tell him how you feel.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Glad Obama doesn't have time for this stuff. He was too busy working hard from a very average upbringing and getting a good education and.... well becoming a two term president of the US. I have a feeling he would feel there is quite a bit of opportunity out there for black people. It would be very hard to argue against him. Good luck if you get the chance to tell him how you feel.
Acknowledging socioeconomic (and to a lesser extent) institutional barriers in no way implies opportunities are nonexistent. Given that I support the same types of affirmative action that Obama does, I bet he does agree with me.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:56 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Acknowledging socioeconomic (and to a lesser extent) institutional barriers in no way implies opportunities are nonexistent. Given that I support the same types of affirmative action that Obama does, I bet he does agree with me.
Why didn't the Chinese need affirmative action? Indians from India? Why is it that some feel that they "deserve" something? What about the Jews? They didn't need some leg up. Not buying into that crap. Go out and get a job like everyone else. People don't owe others. You need to make your own way. Oh and good luck in feeling pride in getting a leg up. Oh and if people want respect if everyone knows someone gets a leg up because of race? Yeah, you aren't going to be respected and that bleeds over to those that actually did work hard to get where they got and are people of color.

What you think is good isn't.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Why didn't the Chinese need affirmative action? Indians from India? Why is it that some feel that they "deserve" something? What about the Jews? They didn't need some leg up. Not buying into that crap. Go out and get a job like everyone else. People don't owe others. You need to make your own way. Oh and good luck in feeling pride in getting a leg up. Oh and if people want respect if everyone knows someone gets a leg up because of race? Yeah, you aren't going to be respected and that bleeds over to those that actually did work hard to get where they got and are people of color.

What you think is good isn't.
Spare me the neocon BS.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:21 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Spare me the neocon BS.
Apparently, discussions about terminology are frowned upon, but it's been ages since I have seen "neocon" used correctly in a domestic politics context and I am too delighted not to say so.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:52 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,465,198 times
Quote:
Common sense was not in play here. They beat Miles because they knew they could get away with it.
They could have killed him if they so desired. Remember Johnny Gammage? Pulled over for driving an expensive car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh