Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,622 times

Advertisements

I know this question has been asked before, that's how I found this forum in the first place. But I wanted to know what you guys think. I drive a 2011 Chevy Aveo which has front wheel drive but is an extremely light compact. I've never owned snow tires before, and it hasn't been an issue for the past few years because I've been living in the southside flats. But now I live up over the top of the slopes in the Mt. Oliver area and completely surrounded by really steep hills (between Arlington Ave, Brownsville and Mountain Ave). Do you think I need to get 4 snow tires for the winter, or just 2? if 2, should they be on the front or back? And if you happen to know a good place where I can get a good deal I would really appreciate a tip. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideBenny View Post
I know this question has been asked before, that's how I found this forum in the first place. But I wanted to know what you guys think. I drive a 2011 Chevy Aveo which has front wheel drive but is an extremely light compact. I've never owned snow tires before, and it hasn't been an issue for the past few years because I've been living in the southside flats. But now I live up over the top of the slopes in the Mt. Oliver area and completely surrounded by really steep hills (between Arlington Ave, Brownsville and Mountain Ave). Do you think I need to get 4 snow tires for the winter, or just 2? if 2, should they be on the front or back? And if you happen to know a good place where I can get a good deal I would really appreciate a tip. Thanks!
If you feel the need, get two for the front. Sure all 4 is the best route because your car would have the same sidewall feel all around and that is better. If you don't mind walking up the hill 4-5 days a year, you probably could forgo them entirely. I just run all season, but my car is AWD.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,529,408 times
Snow tires aren't really needed these days. All Season is best, that and use common sense.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:20 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Snow tires aren't really needed these days. All Season is best, that and use common sense.
Disagree. All-season isn't "best" for any season. It's a compromise tire made to be useable in any weather, but if you want the best performance in snow, get dedicated snow tires. They make a HUGE difference. They might not be "needed" except for a couple days each winter, but if one of those days it means the difference between driving home or leaving your car on the side of the road and walking, it might certainly be worth it. Your call.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:51 PM

97 posts, read 165,266 times
I have studded snowtires and always will - though, it is a matter of personal preference, I suppose. (though, living on a dead-end street that has been described as a 'cliff' on multiple occaisons they've always been a necessity..)

John Varney Tire and Auto is on Brownsville road and I've always found them to be reliable, honest, and fairly priced.

As to 2 vs. 4, it would depend on your driving style and where you're driving. I would imagine that 2 should be okay, though.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:54 PM

65 posts, read 123,539 times
Winter tires are better below 50 degrees if there is snow or not. Your braking distance will greatly decrease as the temperature decreases. That's not even takings into account if there is snow,ice,water, leaves, gravel on the ground. Stoping is more important then going.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:07 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,497 times
I've found it hard to get in the mindset of using winter tires since I don't know anyone amongst my family, friends or acquaintances in Ontario that do. The majority there don't use them (according to stats), and studded/chained tires are illegal. Of course, the plowing and the salting of the roads (my parents work in the road salt industry) tends to be topnotch there (aside from remote areas), the most extreme of blizzards aside.

I would relate my experience of living in Mt. Oliver during the winter, but during the worst of the winter that we lived there (2009-2010), no one ever plowed the three feet of snow on the roads, and so we never got to drive anywhere whenever it was bad.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
I would HIGHLY recommend you don't get studded tires. They are horribly dangerous on wet and dry pavement as they cut stopping distances down significantly. Also if you are driving a front wheel drive car it would be a very bad idea because you are putting studded tires on the front and that is where much of your braking power comes from. Bad idea.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:01 AM

275 posts, read 628,284 times
Walmart typically has small tires, and you can get them for around $50 each. Depending on your driving skills, I would say go with winter tires in the front. You can find a set of used rims for cheap and get a set of snow tires swapped to the front. Dont drive on them in the summer, or they will wear fast. All seasons are good. The rear of your car is very light so with a poor tire on the back you risk decreased stopping power, and also the risk of the rear coming around especially coming down a hill (called oversteering).

Another winter trick is to decrease tire pressure increasing you contact patch. You can drop the tire pressure down to 20psi, and the tire will sit flatter on the ground giving you more contact. Dont drive at high speeds like this, it will just wear your tire more.

Also, you can get tire cables. Everyone knows about tire chains, but a lesser alternative is cables, and then they even have emergency straps. Check JC whitney. If you are in a jam a set of cables can help a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh