Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 02:21 AM

69 posts, read 80,030 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We are moving there in the next 24 hrs and packing is hell. We have been also working on a little site that we call Steampunk Victoriana after a poll here on the forums. The site is at Steampunk Victoriana Restoration Blog - Blog
and I have developed it so that Blog entries there are linked to a Facebook Fan Page at: https://www.facebook.com/SteampunkVictoriana (for those that have Facebook) and lastly also to my Twitter account at https://twitter.com/tnwebwise

We would love suggestions, critiques and testers of the site to help us out. We want to make a simple site that details the processes we went through, the tips and tricks we ran across, advice areas and more. We can add every thing from live chat to forums and all in between.

We are not art/Design types but good programmers. We're also looking for some help on a logo or something.

Thanks for the time and input - See you all soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 08:00 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
I read everything on my android phone and rarely use my computer. I couldn't get the blog to fit my screen properly. If there's a way you can configure it for smart phones you'd probably increase the views you get.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:17 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
thanks for making the blog, i will definitely be keeping an eye on it!

i think it might be easier to navigate if you did a more conventional blog layout where you can read each post in succession, maybe with a "jump" to shorten very long or picture-heavy posts. clicking to read each entry is kind of annoying. also i only saw one tiny, unenlargeable picture on each post, and i think some of them were meant to have more pictures.

here, for instance: Steampunk Victoriana Restoration - Blog

here's another house blog that i really like, and i think their post format works well: http://www.limingtonfarmhouse.org/

Last edited by groar; 11-23-2012 at 08:31 AM..

Old 11-23-2012, 02:02 PM

69 posts, read 162,545 times
Default Love the house

I love the house - I am also looking in Pittsburgh for a possible eventual move. I love the old Victorian houses, but nothing quite as major of a project as yours. But do want to do a lot of the rehab for myself (not necessarily do it myself). So my question is what part of Pittsburgh are you going to be in and are there other "finds" in the area?

Old 11-23-2012, 05:55 PM

27 posts, read 27,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineappleMSW View Post
I love the house - I am also looking in Pittsburgh for a possible eventual move. I love the old Victorian houses, but nothing quite as major of a project as yours. But do want to do a lot of the rehab for myself (not necessarily do it myself). So my question is what part of Pittsburgh are you going to be in and are there other "finds" in the area?
Yes, there are in fact, several "finds" in the neighborhood. Some of them are in better condition, others are in same. I didn't really see anything "worse", because.. well.. I think you get the point. TNWebwise and I are going to be in Allentown.

When we did a initial survey of the house to check the overall stability of the foundation, roof, and floors, I did make sure to scout the neighborhood. I saw about.. 3 victorians in the area, and one of which I'm pretty sure is up for sale. It's not a painted lady though.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:02 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineappleMSW View Post
Pittsburgh is full of old homes needing minor to extensive renovation. Check this forum for discussions on various neighborhoods and nearby towns. I am in the process of buying an old house in Crafton just outside Pittsburgh. It needs mostly cosmetic renovation.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Wow! I just looked at all of the pictures. You've got your work cut out for you. I'll enjoy reading your updates.

I'm amazed at how much architectural detail remains outside. It's going to beautiful after the rotted wood is replaced and the exterior is painted. It's a shame someone gutted the inside of everything. Hopefully there is some trim laying around to use as a pattern to custom your interior trim to match the period.

I suspect your first priority will be to secure the house for safety so nobody can break into it.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:32 PM

27 posts, read 27,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Wow! I just looked at all of the pictures. You've got your work cut out for you. I'll enjoy reading your updates.

I'm amazed at how much architectural detail remains outside. It's going to beautiful after the rotted wood is replaced and the exterior is painted. It's a shame someone gutted the inside of everything. Hopefully there is some trim laying around to use as a pattern to custom your interior trim to match the period.

I suspect your first priority will be to secure the house for safety so nobody can break into it.
We've already got THAT covered. >.< Video cameras, security system, etc, etc.. My head is spinning from the amount of stuff we're still packing. We're now 12 hours behind schedule on the move, and I'm ready to bite something. lol

Old 11-24-2012, 08:13 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Great old house, I hope you can save it.

What are your projected renovation costs for this project? Whatever they are, you may need to double that number. LoL.

Good luck.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:26 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
Okay, days without an update, lol... Are you there yet? Can you get your stuff off the truck, or did the delays cause you to lose your help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh