Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times

Advertisements

No.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Speaking of all but a couple cities in 3-letter cap abbreviations is odd to me unless you're on a travel or transportation-related forum.
I agree with this. Back when I lived in Florida, long before I ever knew I would be living here, I used to get faxes from customers who would just fill in their address as "Pgh, PA", and I was thinking "what the heck is this? Poughkeepsie, PA?" lol I always wondered why people from "Pgh" were too lazy to write the full name of their city. I think it's just another idiosyncracy of Pittsburghers that they think everyone in the country knows their city as PGH. Most other people don't abbreviate their city on formal documents, except for maybe LA or NYC.

But to answer the question, I like PIT better than PGH. I think it's more recognizable as Pittsburgh to outsiders.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,889,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I agree with this. Back when I lived in Florida, long before I ever knew I would be living here, I used to get faxes from customers who would just fill in their address as "Pgh, PA", and I was thinking "what the heck is this? Poughkeepsie, PA?" lol I always wondered why people from "Pgh" were too lazy to write the full name of their city. I think it's just another idiosyncracy of Pittsburghers that they think everyone in the country knows their city as PGH. Most other people don't abbreviate their city on formal documents, except for maybe LA or NYC.

But to answer the question, I like PIT better than PGH. I think it's more recognizable as Pittsburgh to outsiders.
ICA...PGH is only regionally and maybe statewide known...Universally PIT identifies Pittsburgh better.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:12 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,000 times

Home Alone 2 Marv quote NEVER! - YouTube

Old 11-27-2012, 10:14 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
ICA...PGH is only regionally and maybe statewide known...Universally PIT identifies Pittsburgh better.
Why do we want people who can't figure out what "PGH" means to identify us?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:16 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,289 times
As an ex-outsider who lives here now, I've more than happily adopted PGH as the "official" abbreviation for PittsburGH as the last two letters of the city distinguish it more than the second two letters, which could just as well refer to Pittsburg, CA, or Pittsfield, MA. I'd rather the official IATA code for the airport change to PGH than for PIT to become the "official" abbreviation for the city.

In any case:

Pitt = Nickname for the University of Pittsburgh, never for the city
PIT = IATA code for Pittsburgh International Airport, nothing more
PGH = Shorthand abbreviation for the City of Pittsburgh entire, plus the Amtrak code for the train station

Anyone who says differently is itchin' for a fight.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM

I think that the state should switch back to "Penna" from "PA" but the post office probably won't like it.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Why do we want people who can't figure out what "PGH" means to identify us?
Ever heard of Branding...Ask Atlanta what the ATL branding has done for it..

Then ask what PGH does for Pittsburgh when it comes to branding the city Globally. Plus none of our Sports teams are Abbreviated PGH, they all use PIT.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
As an ex-outsider who lives here now, I've more than happily adopted PGH as the "official" abbreviation for PittsburGH as the last two letters of the city distinguish it more than the second two letters, which could just as well refer to Pittsburg, CA, or Pittsfield, MA. I'd rather the official IATA code for the airport change to PGH than for PIT to become the "official" abbreviation for the city.

In any case:

Pitt = Nickname for the University of Pittsburgh, never for the city
PIT = IATA code for Pittsburgh International Airport, nothing more
PGH = Shorthand abbreviation for the City of Pittsburgh entire, plus the Amtrak code for the train station

Anyone who says differently is itchin' for a fight.
All of Pittsburgh's Sports teams use PIT, and the sports teams represent Pittsburgh on a National and in some cases an International stage.

Now ask which one of those better identifies the city to outsiders...Not insiders....Think like an outsider before you moved or even considered move Pittsburgh and its PIT.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Ever heard of Branding.
The term comes from applying hot metal to flesh and then marketing people came and used it for something even more painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh