Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:00 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times

Advertisements

I would think that most of the people that have moved into Regent Square part of Wilkinsburg are not frequenting businesses on Penn Avenue and are far more likely to head to East Liberty or Edgewood to shop. Being close to East Liberty is perhaps keeping Penn Ave in Wilkinsburg form turnign the corner.

Since I am not a South Hills guy, I was wondering about Mt. Oliver. To me, the business district always reminded me of Penn Ave. in Wilkinsburg . I was wondering if there has been any improvement to Mount Oliver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 01:24 PM

747 posts, read 1,232,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Do you mean the Mr. Roboto Project? If so, that place isn't there anymore.

thats it.....Is the bowling alley still there?

Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 PM

747 posts, read 1,232,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I would think that most of the people that have moved into Regent Square part of Wilkinsburg are not frequenting businesses on Penn Avenue and are far more likely to head to East Liberty or Edgewood to shop. Being close to East Liberty is perhaps keeping Penn Ave in Wilkinsburg form turnign the corner.

Since I am not a South Hills guy, I was wondering about Mt. Oliver. To me, the business district always reminded me of Penn Ave. in Wilkinsburg . I was wondering if there has been any improvement to Mount Oliver?
Mount oliver is in better shape than Wilkinsburg. I drove through there recently and was really surprised by that. Wilkinsburg's business district is alot larger than Mount Oliver though.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:33 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
thats it.....Is the bowling alley still there?
The one next to St. James school is gone, as in torn down, and has become additional parking/playground area for the school.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I would think that most of the people that have moved into Regent Square part of Wilkinsburg are not frequenting businesses on Penn Avenue and are far more likely to head to East Liberty or Edgewood to shop.
I think the fast food/drug store/gas station/bank-type stuff on either side of the Busway is somewhat an exception to this proposition (although I haven't been to the Get Go up there since the Get Go in Regent Square opened).

However, to the extent that is otherwise true, I think that is in part because of the relative lack of useful stores up there. Holding aside the R license issue, if there was a Target or Home Depot in Wilkinsburg, I'm sure we would use it over East Liberty. I'm not necessarily saying that is the right development path for Wilkinsburg, but if you are asking why people from Regent Square shop in East Liberty instead, it is mostly because East Liberty currently has a lot of stuff Wilkinsburg does not.

Quote:
Being close to East Liberty is perhaps keeping Penn Ave in Wilkinsburg form turnign the corner.
I think the positive synergies will eventually outweigh any competition, meaning eventually the fact that East Liberty is just a short ride down the Busway or Penn Avenue from Wilkinsburg will be a major selling point in Wilkinsburg's favor. But this does require some patience because East Liberty is still maturing into such a role, and I also agree in the short term it may be sucking in a large share of any available investments.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:10 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Mt. Oliver's Brownsville Road is in a little better shape than Wilkinsburg's Penn Ave (though the businesses are smaller), though Brownsville has way more sketchy characters loitering around.

IMO if Wilkinsburg has a bar there might be trouble only because there are feuding factions of gangs operating in the neighborhood, and putting the bar on the dividing line could cause some shoot outs. Also my guess is that would turn into a nuisance bar, and a nuisance bar would attract hoodlums- intoxicated hoodlums congregating in one place leads to fighting- with the rough crowd fighting can turn into feuding- which always turns into shootings.
Idk if it's the best idea though I hope it works out for the best...

Last edited by Uptown kid; 11-29-2012 at 05:24 PM..

Old 11-29-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
....I do know status quo bias is a powerful force, including in Wilkinsburg, so it certainly possible that the specter of the worst case scenarios will prevent people from understanding that the status quo is not particularly working right now, and may well be worth changing.
I think the fact that of all the problems Wilkinsburg has, nuisance bars isn't one of them, is proof that the status quo is indeed working as it's intended.

One thing is for sure, the people of Regent Square have nothing to lose with this gamble, as there is no chance a nuisance bar will end up in their neighborhood. The odds aren't nearly as good for the low income neighborhoods (that frankly have enough problems already).

Old 11-29-2012, 07:01 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I find it interesting that so many of you are willing to dismiss BrianTH's sentiments as being invalid simply because he lives in the "nice" part of Wilkinsburg. The Wilkinsburg portion of Regent Square isn't militantly anti-Wilkinsburg. Granted BrianTH is probably the only Ivy-Leaguer in the borough, but that in no way invalidates his opinions. If anything I know from personal experiences delivering ethnic food in my secondary position that BrianTH's neighbors are mostly college-educated, urbane, and dare I say "crunchy" types who would likely prefer to patronize a revitalized Wood Street shopping district replete with independent merchants and unique eateries instead of the sea of asphalt enshrouded by generic retailers that is Edgewood Town Center.

As I branch out on my quest to purchase my first home by August 2013 Wilkinsburg has definitely crept up on my radar. The opportunity to order a glass of wine to complement a nice pasta dish at a restaurant on Wood Street on a Friday night just blocks from a home I'd be lovingly restoring definitely sounds appealing.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I find it interesting that so many of you are willing to dismiss BrianTH's sentiments as being invalid simply because he lives in the "nice" part of Wilkinsburg. The Wilkinsburg portion of Regent Square isn't militantly anti-Wilkinsburg. Granted BrianTH is probably the only Ivy-Leaguer in the borough, but that in no way invalidates his opinions. If anything I know from personal experiences delivering ethnic food in my secondary position that BrianTH's neighbors are mostly college-educated, urbane, and dare I say "crunchy" types who would likely prefer to patronize a revitalized Wood Street shopping district replete with independent merchants and unique eateries instead of the sea of asphalt enshrouded by generic retailers that is Edgewood Town Center.

As I branch out on my quest to purchase my first home by August 2013 Wilkinsburg has definitely crept up on my radar. The opportunity to order a glass of wine to complement a nice pasta dish at a restaurant on Wood Street on a Friday night just blocks from a home I'd be lovingly restoring definitely sounds appealing.
I can speak for myself when I say that I'm not dismissing Brian's opinions on this matter.

I also have no doubt that the people of Regent Square would rather patronize a revitalized Wood St. than Edgewood Town Centre. But as I said in my earlier post, the people of Regent Square have nothing to lose, and everything to gain by taking this gamble. This is likely going to be another one of those "us vs them" issues in Wilkinsburg.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 PM

141 posts, read 339,695 times
As nice as it would be to sit down at a restaurant in Wilkinsburg and order a glass of wine, I really don't see how this is would work efficiently and by the book. If liquor licenses would be allowed, there would be all sorts of "exceptions" that would be made to the rule and over time, nuisance bars/establishements would sprout up and the area would see a major increase of crime. This would counteract all the good that the PHLF and other agencies have done for the community. I think the only reason why Wilkinsburg wasn't totally destroyed by gangs and crime back in the 80's and 90's was because it was a dry town. Look at Homewood now......all that is left are churches and bars. I would hate to see this happen to Wilkinsburg

I agree, Wood Street is beautiful and is quite overshadowed by grimy Penn Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh