Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the Fate of California-Kirkbride?
The expensive housing in Allegheny West and Mexican War Streets will push people to gentrify California-Kirkbride 9 60.00%
The nefarious elements of other nearby neighborhoods will take over. 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 AM

225 posts, read 299,881 times

Advertisements

It's a little further, at about a mile, but the Pittsburgh Project's coffee shop is up on Charles. They're a good organization doing what they can for the area and well worth looking into volunteering with if you have the free time. My significant other helps out on their urban farm in the summer and comes home with more vegetables than we can eat come harvest time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
If you go for the B Street, you'd be an easy walk to the Breadworks on Brighton Rd.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:27 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
You're looking at probably 5k or 6k in closing costs with an FHA mortgage. I learned this years ago when I considered getting a mortgage on a Victorian on Yetta Avenue in Spring Hill (and I STILL dream about that house).

Another consideration is that it is very difficult to have a fixer upper or unrestored historic home approved for an FHA mortgage. This is because they inspect the house for peeling paint, etc.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:21 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
There is actually a coffee shop a half mile away from those houses. Me, I don't turn up my nose at community gathering spots whether they have organic tortes or bearclaws. If I wanted to get a handle on the area I'd go hang at the nearest such spot and talk to people or read whatever announcements people post on the boards for community gatherings.
That's also near a place called Urban Gardener I always meant to go to but never made the trek. It's nice enough outside this weekend that you might even see neighborhood people working in the yard who can tell you a lot more than any RE agent will.
I realize the best course of advice would be for me to hang out a bit at a gathering spot in the neighborhood and chat up those who already live there to gain some more direct insight. Yesterday while taking my second drive past the house on B Street I stopped to let two women push a stroller past on the sidewalk. I wasn't thinking at the time, but I probably could have (and should have) rolled my window down and asked them briefly for a thumbs-up or thumbs-down on the neighborhood, assuming they lived there. If two women feel safe pushing a stroller around in California-Kirkbride then it's obviously not as dangerous of an area as some would lead you to believe it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
SCR, good luck with your house hunt! Might I suggest not ruling out all of Marshall Shadeland? I've lived here for over a year without any problems; there are a few blocks that are at the southern end of the 'hood that are quite nice, and seem to suffer mostly from the stigma of being part of MS. This house is on a pretty, stable block: 1121 Ingham Street, Brighton Heights, Pennsylvania 15212 (MLS# 938014) - Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services - PittsburghMoves.com. You could take the very reliable Brighton Road bus, parking isn't horrible, and lots of folks walk their dogs in the cemetaries. This house is on the main drag, Marshall Avenue, but is set a bit off the street so it might not be too noisy; comes with a garage and driveway - no parking problems! - and a minimum of paneling *grin*. (When we were looking, it seemed as if every house had paneling and drop celings...ugh. 1151 Marshall Avenue, Marshall Shadeland, Pennsylvania 15212 (MLS# 936764) - Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services - PittsburghMoves.com

There are some really sweet houses on my block - Superior Ave - but they are a bit pricier (likely to sell for less than asking, I fear; maybe we need to rebrand our part of Marshall Shadeland). Most of the crime in this neighborhood seems to come from the cretins in the drug game, and as long as you stay out of that foolishness, it is a live and let live place. Let me know if you have any questions; I'd be happy to help!

e
Thanks for the recommendations, ebyrnes! I actually WAS also eying up the home on Ingham Street, but I was indeed scared off a bit by the terrible reputation of Marshall-Shadeland. It stands to reason that if Brighton Heights continues to improve, and if the more fashionable areas of the Lower North Side continue to gentrify, though, that Marshall-Shadeland, just like California-Kirkbride, COULD benefit from that spillover. As PB&J O'Rourke said the only way such neighborhoods WILL come back is if upstanding people who want to make a difference DO move in. The house on Ingham also appears to be move-in ready, so if alleghenyangel is correct in how stringent the requirements for an FHA-backed mortgage have become I may not be able to obtain financing for the B Street home that I'd prefer but instead could obtain financing for the Ingham Street one.

I also really like the house on Marshall Avenue. Thanks for posting the link as I had not yet seen it. It's obviously currently (recently?) inhabited by elderly homeowners, but it looks to be solidly-constructed and very well-maintained. This would be my "Plan C" if I were unable to obtain financing for the B Street property and if I didn't like the Ingham Street home. I like that it has a level-looking rear lot perfect for the demanding Dachsund, my sunflowers, butterfly bushes, and that eventual hot tub!

I think psychologically it's only been recently that I've considered expanding my housing search outside the East End, and that's because I didn't want to sacrifice the convenience we currently have. We actually just returned from the East Liberty Target. Where do those of you in Marshall-Shadeland do your shopping? The Giant Eagle in Brighton Heights? McKnight Road?

P.S. Not to be too creepy, but I did just look up your home on the tax assessment web site and wanted to compliment you on it. It looks like a traditional four-square-styled home with brick. Central air, too? All for $50,000? So jealous! I absolutely LOVE the home that's on the market directly across the street from you right now, but it's out of my price range. Maybe someday when my employer starts paying a bit better... It does concern me, though, that there are no less than a half-dozen homes currently on the market just on your street alone (granted a couple are foreclosures). Who knows? If I buy the house on Ingham maybe we'll have you over for karaoke parties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&J O'Rourke View Post
It's a little further, at about a mile, but the Pittsburgh Project's coffee shop is up on Charles. They're a good organization doing what they can for the area and well worth looking into volunteering with if you have the free time. My significant other helps out on their urban farm in the summer and comes home with more vegetables than we can eat come harvest time.
Sounds like a great organization! I actually just drove up the entire length of Charles Street yesterday for the first time and noticed this place. One other thing I noticed that was bizarre about the corridor, though, along Charles Street was the odd mish-mash of housing styles. Restored historic rowhomes right near brand new construction bi-levels. I guess the more people living in the area the better, though, for its chances of revival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
If you go for the B Street, you'd be an easy walk to the Breadworks on Brighton Rd.
I also saw Breadworks! I didn't know you could walk in there and buy stuff, but that would be a HUGE perk! I thought it was just their factory or distribution center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
You're looking at probably 5k or 6k in closing costs with an FHA mortgage. I learned this years ago when I considered getting a mortgage on a Victorian on Yetta Avenue in Spring Hill (and I STILL dream about that house).

Another consideration is that it is very difficult to have a fixer upper or unrestored historic home approved for an FHA mortgage. This is because they inspect the house for peeling paint, etc.
I had no idea closing costs were that astronomical, but if that's the case then I suppose I'm out of luck at the current time. I'm currently paying rent that would be roughly triple my monthly housing expenditures with a mortgage; however, paying such high rent has limited my ability to save for a down payment, which is why I was hoping for a low down payment option, such as an FHA-backed mortgage. I know I could EASILY meet my monthly obligations with a mortgage, and I wish I could impart that upon a lender if they would just be willing to work with me a bit on a lower down payment (hence my low housing budget). I make nearly $2,000/month net when you spread out my quarterly sales bonuses, and my partner's income also helps with expenses. We both just have weak credit (mine being 660 and his being Lord knows what, but I'm sure it's worse). The income I make on the side whenever I feel like working my second job doesn't really contribute much in a lender's eyes because it's self-employment income.

Are you FORCED to pay the full closing costs as the buyer with an FHA-backed loan, or can you perhaps go in with a full-price offer on a home with the stipulation that the seller would contribute perhaps half of the closing costs in order to broker the sale?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 AM

It actually appears I was correct about the house on Marshall Avenue. The home was bought back in 1950 by a couple that is presumably now either very elderly or deceased and was passed on to a relative (presumably a son) in Michigan in 2010 for next to nothing. More than likely he's established with a family of his own in Michigan and has no desire to live in the home or rent it out as a long-distance landlord. The only upshot there for me is that maybe there's some negotating wiggle-room, especially since the home needs a TON of cosmetic updates. If it's structurally sound then I'm sure it would qualify for an FHA loan, too. I just worry about the condition of the home if it hasn't been occupied in a couple of years (although the furnishings do imply otherwise, unless the family never had an estate sale to sell it all).

Old 12-02-2012, 09:32 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
The closing cost issue, along with the stringent condition requirements for homes, prompted me to search for a house that I could pay for with cash. I couldn't see spending 6k in closing costs and being in debt when I could pay for a house outright for just a few thousand more. You might be able to negotiate with the buyer to pay closing costs, so that is an option worth pursuing. But you're going to need to find a house that's in pretty good condition.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,085 times
660 might get you a conventional loan btw. Don't believe everything you hear, talk to a mortgage consultant. There is a tremendous amount of misinformation floating around about financing, to the point where I would not even believe what I think I know myself.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
The closing cost issue, along with the stringent condition requirements for homes, prompted me to search for a house that I could pay for with cash. I couldn't see spending 6k in closing costs and being in debt when I could pay for a house outright for just a few thousand more. You might be able to negotiate with the buyer to pay closing costs, so that is an option worth pursuing. But you're going to need to find a house that's in pretty good condition.
I do envy your situation moving to Pittsburgh just a smidgen before the era of buying a livable rowhome in a decent neighborhood for $10,000 ended. I've arrived a few years too late, and there's obviously no way I could have $40,000 in cash sitting on standby while I've been paying down student loan debt and a rent bill that's higher than most mortgages for comparable homes. With that being said even if my preferred home on B Street was in too rough of condition to qualify for an FHA-backed loan I'd be willing to adjust my budget upwards to the $40,000-$50,000 range, and I'm sure at least EITHER the Ingham or Marshall Avenue homes that ebyrnes linked would qualify as both seem very structurally sound. I wouldn't be disqualified for an FHA-backed loan because there's ugly interior paneling or because the windows aren't energy-efficient. I WOULD potentially be denied the loan if the home's foundation was sagging, if the roof was leaking, if there was evidence of the heating system being ready to explode, etc.

I'm hedging on perhaps putting the B Street house on the back-burner and instead focusing on either of the two Marshall-Shadeland homes and seeing if either seller would be motivated enough to contribute at least partial closing costs (I can't afford $6,000 out of pocket for those right now unless I used credit) in exchange for a full-price offer. I happen to agree with ebyrnes that her neighbors, most of whom are listing their homes in the neighborhood of $100,000, may be a tad too aggressive and will be sitting on their homes for quite some time with no offers, and given the nefarious reputation of the neighborhood (which initially made me write it off for quite some time) there may even be some movement on those two homes which are already within my budget.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 AM

461 posts, read 748,824 times
SCR, not creepy at all: I have few secrets in my boring life (: Did I mention that we also have a driveway and four garages, and a double lot? We have just enough space that we were able to get have it certified as a wildlife refuge (easy enough to do, but I still feel spiffy about it). The house across the street from me is nice, indeed; has a garage, cute yard, and the house itself is attractive but in need of an updated kitchen.

As far as shopping, you could go to the Kuhn's for basic stuff, and then get produce etc from the strip. Or, the Giant Eagle is about 10 minutes away on Brighton Road. The malls on McKnight are about a 15 minute drive.

The community group is quite active, and a church group runs a coffee shop a few blocks away. There's no glamor to this neighborhood, but it isn't without charm. We would be happy to call you neighbor!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 AM

441 posts, read 766,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I wouldn't be disqualified for an FHA-backed loan because there's ugly interior paneling or because the windows aren't energy-efficient. I WOULD potentially be denied the loan if the home's foundation was sagging, if the roof was leaking, if there was evidence of the heating system being ready to explode, etc.
Don't be so sure about this. The house I bought is in very good condition, but it wouldn't be able to pass FHA regulations because there is no banister on the stairs. Now obviously installing a banister is a relatively cheap fix, but this should give you an idea of how picky they can be. I strongly recommend you get a copy of the FHA requirements and do some reading.

Also, in my case, the sellers helped cover part of the closing costs, so it's definitely something you can negotiate.

Finally I recommend you read this book: Nolo's Essential Guide to Buying Your First Home. It was extremely helpful when I went through my own house hunting/buying nightmare and did a very good job of explaining the whole process and financing specifics. I borrowed a copy from the Carnegie Library system, so get it from them to save extra money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh