Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 03:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times

Advertisements

Seriously, if they can't find full time jobs searching 12-15 hours per day, they're doing something wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 PM

583 posts, read 880,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagarim View Post
On a whim my fiance and I moved to Bloomington, Indiana last August and things just didn't work out after 6 months and now we're back living with my parents.
Bloomington is one of the neatest, most charming places in America. Bloomington is neat-as-a-pin and immaculate. Except for some of the hills in Brown County, Pittsburgh is the un-Bloomington.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The denser the development, the lower the amount of nature disturbed per person. Cities are denser than suburbs.
That doesn't follow, and it's bad science.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:35 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,525,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
That doesn't follow, and it's bad science.
Suburbs are denser than cities?

Old 12-09-2012, 12:36 AM

6,596 posts, read 8,914,401 times
Quote:
Bloomington is one of the neatest, most charming places in America. Bloomington is neat-as-a-pin and immaculate. Except for some of the hills in Brown County, Pittsburgh is the un-Bloomington.
I haven't been to Bloomington, but you bring up a good point. Pittsburgh has a very run down appearance in much of the city. This can be alarming to outsiders because they equate run-down with high crime, but that isn't usually the case in Pittsburgh. We just have a generally older built environment combined with steady population loss that is just now stopping. Even our nicer neighborhoods can appear run down or unpolished to outsiders, but it's just simply something we are used to here, and many people are oblivious to it. I think it gives the city character.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagarim View Post
How is the public transportation in the city? Is parking a big hassle if driving a car inside the city?
Pittsburgh means no free parking. Pittsburgh also means sitting in lots of traffic, not moving, when you're going short distances. Streetview their highways. There are very few. No Interstate runs through town; the on-ramps are one-lane from one Interstate spur to the other. There are tunnels and bridges that jam traffic to a crawl. Pittsburgh is traffic hell.

You're looking in the wrong direction. Just go to Kansas City or Dallas.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:26 AM

6,596 posts, read 8,914,401 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh means no free parking. Pittsburgh also means sitting in lots of traffic, not moving, when you're going short distances. Streetview their highways. There are very few. No Interstate runs through town; the on-ramps are one-lane from one Interstate spur to the other. There are tunnels and bridges that jam traffic to a crawl. Pittsburgh is traffic hell.

You're looking in the wrong direction. Just go to Kansas City or Dallas.
Technically I-579 and I-376 both run through downtown. I-279 may as well be counted since it connects to the Ft. Duquesne bridge leading directly to downtown. It's true that no main 2-digit interstates run through the city, though. In any case I'd say it's a moot point for the most part. It can make traveling to Pittsburgh difficult, or traveling to different sides of the county difficult, but it doesn't really affect the average city-dweller on a day to day basis.

Public transit in Pittsburgh is serviceable. There are better systems out there in other cities, but there are definitely worse systems, too. Basically it is good enough for most commuting needs, but if you won't have a car at all then you are going to want to live in a select few neighborhoods that are walkable and have good transit access. One nice thing is that people in Pittsburgh generally don't place a stigma on riding the bus. People of all walks of life ride the bus and it's not looked at like a last resort only for poor people.

Parking can be a problem in some areas. In most neighborhoods where parking is a problem they have residential permits. So if you live there, it will be less of a problem.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:39 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,576,000 times
I've spent a fair amount of time in Bloomington. It can become less charming as you get further away from downtown and from the campus, which is quite nice. They don't have a med school at IUB, which rather hurts one's job prospects although you can make an almost reasonable commute into the southern Indy suburbs. Wages are fairly low even for a midwestern college town. And it is also decidedly less "neat as a pin" if you're ever in town during the Little 500. It puts on a really pretty face for visitors however.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:46 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Suburbs are denser than cities?
Since this topic has been revived, consider this:

The amount of raw sewage, garbage and just plain trash generated by a high-rise apartment building is far more than the amount generated by a single-family development of the same acreage. In fact, the same is true of any high-rise building, be it offices or apartments. And many times, cities dump this stuff on land in the burbs.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:01 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,498,033 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh is traffic hell.
Not for me. I work downtown and take the T. I bought a townhouse last summer within 1.5 miles of a T-stop park n ride. No traffic at all. I'm 30-35 minutes from home to work door-to-door.

I bought a new car in August. I've got 800 miles on it now, driving mostly on weekends. Car insurance is dirt cheap with this commuting arrangement.

I'm also living in a townhouse with a garage, so I'm not dealing with the parking issues of older areas. You can arrange your life here to avoid dealing with both commute and parking issues. This is NOT true in many cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh